Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen dead, car did not charge, reboot seems to have fixed it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
My wife didn't take the car yesterday. I assumed she had taken the "little car" because she needed to park somewhere tight. She normally charges at work but given the car was on the driveway I used the fob to open charge-port and plugged it in.

When she got home last night she said she hadn't taken it because "when I got in it didn't work" ...

... like a muppet I then forgot to take a look.

This morning she didn't take it and sent me a reminder "I couldn't unplug the charge cable" (I suspect she would normally do that from Screen rather than Fob; we don't have a button-on-charger-plug).

So I have now taken a look :)

Main screen was dead. I pressed brake and both scroll buttons and continued to depress all three until the screen started up fully. (I don't know if that "continue to press" is actually needed?)

I then saw that the car had not charged overnight ... and after reboot it immediately connected, some power was drawn, and then it shut off (this is a scheduled-overnight-charge location to use off-peak tariff). I presume it will charge, as normal, tonight.

Although dashboard had not stopped working I did brake-plus-two-top-buttons until the dashboard fully rebooted.

I had had an Email from TeslaFi "Car has been offline for 30 minutes" (which I ignored :rolleyes:) day-before-yesterday at 21:45

I periodically reboot "just in case", so it will have had a reboot at some time in the last few weeks.

Anything to worry about? Seems a bit odd that the car let me plug in, but did not then charge. Never had dead-screen needing a reboot before (that I can remember, but I have had "screen reboots by itself on entry" at times)

Car is on an ancient version (February) and I haven't got around to chasing support, again, as to why the car has not updated. That's another story though ... but there isn't a new-update that might have upset something.

++1 WannabeOwner My S100D did not charge last night and had the "Systems are powering up / Press brake when this message disappears” and no MCU. After I was able to back out (systems powered up) I had to go through the MCU reboot to get it operational to close my garage. As with you my car did NOT charge last night.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks all, I'm not alone then, I feel better now, plus having the reassurance that "Reboot solves it"

I'll also pay attention when TeslaFi tells me that the car has gone off line :)

Would be a total bummer if it happened the night before a trip though.

Thought: Reboot everything more often? I'll do that every weekend for a bit and see if that helps (but I have done it periodically and, subjectively, I would not say that that has reduced the rate that screen-reboot-on-entry occurs. Its not frequent, but its not "never" either.

Hmmm ... if it was at the same time for everyone (and has not happened before [to most]I wonder if it is a side effect of the "Passive Entry" (or some other) change push?

I tried to turn Passive Entry off (after rebooting) [we've had a spate of thefts attributed to that recently]. The control was disabled (but ON). The car was plugged in, and "engine off"

This has happened to me now 4 times. Every time I was able to get the car back up and running with a reboot of the main display and a reboot of the dashboard as well. I called SC after the 2nd time and they checked the logs indicating that they did not see anything wrong. Further, they suggested I consider a full car reboot which I have not yet done. This has not happened now in approximately 3 weeks.

The 3rd time I experienced a similar problem driving on a fairly long 300 mile trip. As I was approaching a supercharger, all of a sudden HVAC shut down (battery level was still 60 miles or so) and then in the dashboard stop registering certain key data. When I arrived at the supercharger, I rebooted the car and that seemed to correct everything. When I called SC, they admitted they had not heard of that happening previously and suggested again that I make an appointment.

My wife didn't take the car yesterday. I assumed she had taken the "little car" because she needed to park somewhere tight. She normally charges at work but given the car was on the driveway I used the fob to open charge-port and plugged it in.

When she got home last night she said she hadn't taken it because "when I got in it didn't work" ...

... like a muppet I then forgot to take a look.

This morning she didn't take it and sent me a reminder "I couldn't unplug the charge cable" (I suspect she would normally do that from Screen rather than Fob; we don't have a button-on-charger-plug).

So I have now taken a look :)

Main screen was dead. I pressed brake and both scroll buttons and continued to depress all three until the screen started up fully. (I don't know if that "continue to press" is actually needed?)

Same thing happened to me yesterday morning. First time this has ever happened.

I have had this happen once on my May 2018 MCU2 car. Had scheduled charge, car went dead somewhere in the night while charging and did not resume charging after it got back online.

Never had it happen since, but I must admit I do not frequently use scheduled charging (actually, just twice since I got the car)

Good morning everyone

I just swapped my classic S85 (2014) for a new S100D three weeks ago -
I had that problem yesterday...
I was able to restart (wake up ) the car after doing the scroll reset . I did place a call to Tesla and the service tech recommended to do a full reset to avoid having issues in the future -

Here are the steps

1. Car in Park ( no need to hold the brake pedal)
2. Hold scroll wheels unti the tesla logo comes back on . ( screen will go blank first)
3. After completing step 2 and 17 inch screen is up.... Hold the buttons on top of the scroll wheels until the mail instrument cluster goes blank and the Tesla logo reappear..
4. Go to controls on 17 inch screen and under parking brake there is a POWER OFF option
5. POWER OFF and wait for about 1.5 to 2 minutes.
6. Open your door and VOILA !!! Everything is back !

He also mentioned to do that reset maybe every other month.

Is this just total irony or what? My SC guru sent a couple of emails about this. This one was particularly funny:

" Whatever you have running on the browser page is using 12% of your memory. That’s a good bit. You might try switching that to the Google home page and see if that helps before you do the factory reset."

Have you tried the Google home page on your car browser lately?

IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg

Very odd. Same here. All morning I was refreshing teslafi and not seeing any of the numbers change while the car was hooked into 120 charging. i didn't think much of it however, it was a short day and i was going to have the wife get the car out of the garage so we can prepare for a wash. Before I left work I looked at the app but it would not connect. Texted Karen and she had no luck connecting as well. She went out to the car and the dash screen was on but the middle screen was not, There was something mentioning about a deep sleep but that was her words. Main screen did not come up and she did a reboot. Logo came up and the screen did a reboot. The car was charging though. Cleaned the car, went for an afternoon ride and all is well today.

I was away from my car for 6 weeks- it was plugged in - I arrived home woke the car up and the MCU and the IC didn't come up right away. So I waited a few minutes, still nothing. So I did a scroll wheel reset. ( both types with foot on brake ) The IC came up and to my surprise the car was down to 128 mile of range. I normally have the charge set to 90% which in the case of my 4 year old car still yields 233 miles . When we've been away from the car for a few weeks before, it would normally cycle between about 233 miles and 220 miles every few days. After about 10 min of no MCU I finally called service. They answered the phone even though it was after 5pm Gotta love the service here in AZ. Both the mobile rangers and the service centers in the PHX area. While I was on the phone with service the MCU came up- took over the phone call and dropped the connection. I called back and they answered again! Anyway, they said they'd check the logs for anything unusual and get back to me if they saw something. Since they didn't call back the next day I assume they didn't see anything in my logs. The car has worked properly for about a week now. So maybe it was just in a super deep sleep. Weird thing is that my Wife's Model S didn't do anything out of the ordinary, it was charged to 90% also, after it also sat the same 6 weeks. Difference between the cars is mine is pre-AP1 and hers has AP1 I should add, we didn't access the cars during the time we were away.

Have you tried the Google home page on your car browser lately?

Hehehe ... I've been running the "Open Fire" on the dashboard recently because of the Cold Feet problem, maybe that's using too many resources? ... :cool:

Rebooting things is NOT a solution to a software problem

Whilst I agree, I don't have a problem with the advice. There are so many combinations of uses of dashboard, browser, goodness knows what else that might, in combination, cause some side effect that expecting the DEVs to fix them all ... and also keep bringing out new enhancements, which themselves might exacerbate the problem ... is a difficult one.

I find it slightly surprising that a Software Update doesn't, also, do a full-reboot as there have been a number of releases that people have then said needed a reboot before something worked properly ... and if a reboot is helpful why not do one every time the car is charging, and doors locked ...

But I'm happy to do one once a week, or whatever, as a prophylactic measure. But, that said, I'm pretty sure I have had main-screen-crash only a short time after a reboot, so whilst it can only help, it may not be a solution, per se.

Same problem here tonite.
I left the car connected to the powerwall yesterday evening to recharge.
This morning it was freezed (recharge was at 80%) and I had to reboot it by holding both scrol wheels.
When it rebooted, just to be on the safeside, I rebooted the IC as well, holding the 2 topmost buttons.

Next time I will do a full reboot from the main screen "power off" function.