Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw the yellow ring yesterday, placed the order with SC this morning. Doubt will get the new MCU, but great to see Tesla continues to improve on newer models:

New MS with possible new MCU • r/teslamotors
I just had mine replaced 3 weeks ago, but knowing the new MCU is out, I would've waited with the replacement few months in hopes for the new model MCU to trickle down to SC.

Cancel your order and replace in a few months - the new MCU is just too great of an improvement to pass up.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I just had mine replaced 3 weeks ago, but knowing the new MCU is out, I would've waited with the replacement few months in hopes for the new model MCU to trickle down to SC.

Cancel your order and replace in a few months - the new MCU is just too great of an improvement to pass up.
I just had mine replaced this month, but they are replacing the screen only, not the entire MCU nowadays. Thus it's unlikely you would get a new MCU anyways.

I just had mine replaced this month, but they are replacing the screen only, not the entire MCU nowadays. Thus it's unlikely you would get a new MCU anyways.
Mine was replaced Feb 20 this year but I got the entire MCU. So, if there is even a small chance of new MCU, I'd definitely try to get it and a few months with yellow ring is not a big deal.

upload_2018-3-14_18-14-54.png

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
The SC rep was very familiar with the issue, asked for pictures to make sure if it was out of "factory tolerance". Caught me by surprise, had a few FWD issues in the past, fixed without too many questions.

Thought really hard about waiting until the end of the year, but with the influx of M3 in my area, the repairs will likely take weeks. Will give an update once I get the repair late next week/two weeks time.

Mine was replaced Feb 20 this year but I got the entire MCU. So, if there is even a small chance of new MCU, I'd definitely try to get it and a few months with yellow ring is not a big deal.

View attachment 286437
I guess that one flew by me, as I have the same part number on my invoice. Looks like the invoice didn't match up with what I was told they were going to replace. I wonder if I got a refurbished part, since I had a hard reboot while driving the day after getting my car back (I didn't notice any reboots like that while driving before).

I guess that one flew by me, as I have the same part number on my invoice. Looks like the invoice didn't match up with what I was told they were going to replace. I wonder if I got a refurbished part, since I had a hard reboot while driving the day after getting my car back (I didn't notice any reboots like that while driving before).
Re manufactured part is a different number. I know because when I initially brought my car in for yellow ring discoloration repair here is what was on my invoice:
upload_2018-3-14_20-29-31.png

Note the "REMAN" in the part number.
I found it preposterous that in a brand new car with a brand new MCU that malfunctioned was replaced with a re-manufactured part. I requested a brand new part and they swapped it with this:
upload_2018-3-14_20-32-42.png

I was hoping that the new MCU would be with the new CPU, but.... it wasnt. I'm stuck with Tegra

Re manufactured part is a different number. I know because when I initially brought my car in for yellow ring discoloration repair here is what was on my invoice:
View attachment 286486

Note the "REMAN" in the part number.
I found it preposterous that in a brand new car with a brand new MCU that malfunctioned was replaced with a re-manufactured part. I requested a brand new part and they swapped it with this:
View attachment 286487

I was hoping that the new MCU would be with the new CPU, but.... it wasnt. I'm stuck with Tegra
Well damn, I wish I had waited a few more months haha.

I had mine replaced a few weeks ago, but they only replaced the screen, so I'm not sure it would have mattered either way....

I expect Tesla has many old MCUs lying around, so I would expect to get that for my car's replacement but I can also hold off on this until Tesla has more clarity. Honestly I thought it was my screen protector and I was getting ready to rip it off. Clearly I can do that as eventually the screen will be replaced and it doesn't need protection (even from toddlers)

Reactions: BigD0g
My Dec 2016 build car also has this yellow border. I thought it was my screen protector....I'm going to hold on to this issue until they start giving out the new MCUs (or my warranty is going to expire). I see no real rush in dealing with it (though my car is going back for service next week for a dead DRL).
Me too! Jan 2017 and just noticed this yellow border today.

I’ll wait until they run of MCU1’s (I have 7 years left on extended warranty!) and then insist they swap the entire MCU.

Reactions: croman
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a light yellow band around the edge of the MCU. The band is just inside the edge (about 1/8") and it maybe 1/4" wide. It does matter what app I have displayed the band is always there. It does not seem to affect the performance of the MCU, except today it did crash. That was the first time it happened to me. Do you think it is starting to fail?