Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen reboot in loop, lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was delivered end of May 2018, touch screen rebooted the second day when I was driving.
Ever since then, it reboot itself randomly on daily basis.
  • Last August went to SC and the lead technician told me it's well known software issue, next firmware update would fix it. it did so for a short amount of time after updating firmware, however, happened again
  • Last Oct went to SC, car was there for a week, they claim the BMS bootloader was replaced, also found back camera issue. Issue happened again after a few days get the car back. Reported and was told waiting for next firmware update.
  • Finally during March, after screen blackout for more than 5 mins, showed them the timestamp again and escalate to engineering team, car computer was replaced, claimed replacement would resolve the issue completely
  • April, it was only good for 3 weeks, then screen reboot in loop for more than 10 mins, reported, waited for more than 3 weeks, was told yesterday latest firmware 12.1 should fix the issue. Meanwhile waiting for the feedback from engineering team
It's funny that every time i went there, the staff told me wait for next firmware update, yet never fixed the issue, one time they call it a feature that car computer need to reboot so it can fully wake up, every bug is a "feature". How to respond to that so that I could leave my car there for them to seriously check.
P.S. I provided every timestamp when screen reboot

I did some search and a few threads in this forum talking about the same issue, after car computer replacement, seems they all gone, but mine still remains. So a few questions:
  1. I wonder if there is anyone experienced the same?
  2. Is it possible or has anyone requested buy back?
  3. How does buyback work? Do i need to talk to Tesla or do i need to hire a lawyer?
  4. How long it would take to complete buyback for lemon lawsuit?
Thanks!

If you want to do a lemon law buyback then you should absolutely consult a lawyer.

I did one with another car company about 15 years ago. It took about 6 months from start to finish, and ended up involving going to court twice before they literally settled on the day before the final court date.

If you want to do a lemon law buyback then you should absolutely consult a lawyer.

I did one with another car company about 15 years ago. It took about 6 months from start to finish, and ended up involving going to court twice before they literally settled on the day before the final court date.

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful. My current situation doesn't trigger lemon yet, every time I go there, they don't want me leave car their and always told me wait for next firmware update or wait for feedback. I think they try to avoid it become a lemon, yet can not fix the issue.

After a few visits , BMS bootlaoder and "firmware updates" etc. I took it in again. But this time to a different SC. A different tech at HQ logged in and saw there was a partition missing. HQ logged in and rebuilt the partitions. Which is essentially a wipe.

We will see...

Have they tried that? Maybe partitions are getting corrupt. If so, a new MCU wouldn't fix that. Nor would a firmware update.

After a few visits , BMS bootlaoder and "firmware updates" etc. I took it in again. But this time to a different SC. A different tech at HQ logged in and saw there was a partition missing. HQ logged in and rebuilt the partitions. Which is essentially a wipe.

We will see...

Have they tried that? Maybe partitions are getting corrupt. If so, a new MCU wouldn't fix that. Nor would a firmware update.

Thanks @bredi. Seems like the issue was gone after rebuilding the partition? Do you need to make appointment before every visit, it's always 2 - 3 weeks away from now.

What's partitions? Never heard it from them. They have some log system for events, showed me once during one visit, didn't find anything based on the timestamp when it happened. Last visited, they brought up the laptop, yet told me I can't see their system, two different ppl.

And HQ is technician? :)

After a few visits , BMS bootlaoder and "firmware updates" etc.
I took it in again. But this time to a different SC.
A different tech at HQ logged in and saw there was a partition missing. HQ logged in and rebuilt the partitions.
Which is essentially a wipe.
This remind me about a previous issue where someone went to another SC,
and at this new location a technitien found an issue with a ground cable connection.

I cannot find this thread so I don't know if it was a similar problem, .
but I believed that there was a mention of a Tesla recall note describing this issue.

So may be ask your SC if there is not any "ground cable connection" issue in their support documents.

If I'm following your scenario correctly, you've had a half dozen instances of screen rebooting???
But it also seems as if you are saying daily???

If it actually rebooting DAILY, you do seem to have a problem. Look at specifics for your state's lemon law, although it may be possible that you waited too long.

I've generally tried to escalate issues to senior management; with reasonably positive results. I do this in the course of business, and I have done it with private issues - including with my other cars. I once wrote a letter to the CEO of Audi, and within a week the problem was taken care of. I've found that writing letters is so uncommon these days that they generally get attention.