Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen went black while driving...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Big Dog

Mar 7, 2016
Irvine, CA
was rolling on down I-5 in the Central Valley this morning at (ahem) 70+ with EAP on (TACC + Auto steer), and my screen went completely black. TACC maintained speed, but it was a little nerve wracking, so I clicked the stalk to disengage AP and take over driving. A few minutes later, the screen came back to life. So, I re-engaged AP and was back to rolling down teh HiWay....

Anyone experience something similar? Suggestions?

was rolling on down I-5 in the Central Valley this morning at (ahem) 70+ with EAP on (TACC + Auto steer), and my screen went completely black. TACC maintained speed, but it was a little nerve wracking, so I clicked the stalk to disengage AP and take over driving. A few minutes later, the screen came back to life. So, I re-engaged AP and was back to rolling down teh HiWay....

Anyone experience something similar? Suggestions?

Had something similar happen about 15 minutes ago. It occurred when I turned on the camera while entering the highway (helps with the blindspot for this particular ramp) and the screen and music bugged out, then went blank for around 2 minutes. Reset itself and functioned fine the rest of the commute. I'm on software 8.3.

I think it may be a bug from the last update.
Yeah, it just happened to me on the weekend and I'm on 2019.8.3. But I just rolled with it because its just the display sub-system and stuff in that. I've intentionally done a "reboot" on the move before, too, to clear a sound system issue. No big thing. You're running blind in a way, but if you leave AP on you don't really need to see the speedo anyway and not much else matters in the short term...you just don't get tunes.

Reactions: Dre78
You lucky people with your rare black screens! :p

As mentioned, car still functions including AP and TACC. Turn signals work, too.

Keep a running log just in case it becomes more frequent. My screen would reboot at least once a drive. It started the day I rolled off the lot. Thought updates would help. After a couple months seemed to get worse. One day it was rebooting like mad. Service Center replaced MCU.

Screen Constantly Rebooting

This happened to me this morning (first time in the 6 months since taking delivery) exiting the highway and coming up to the traffic light. The screen went black and the radio (Slacker) stopped working. The screen rebooted after a couple of minutes (it was a bit nerve wrenching), and Slacker came back a minute or so after that.

Now it's parked where I work and I can't connect the car via the app. I get a "Vehicle Connection Error".

Last edited:
happened to me yesterday. music was still going until the system rebooted and the T logo popped up. all in all, 30 seconds of driving blind (no speedometer, which is the only real nerve wrecking thing)

i like the blue screen of death analogy, just not as much when i'm going 75mph

how frequently are we supposed to manually reboot?