Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screenwash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Got the washer fluid level low warning today for the first time. Not bad for 3300 miles and 6 months of ownership.

So, need to buy some screenwash. I know it probably doesn't matter but to satisfy my OCD, does anyone know who makes the OEM screen wash?

Also, would be good to know the operating range of the original stuff as I'll likely need it to cover to around - 15c.

Maybe I should have RTFM, but would rather discuss here instead :)

Looks like the sonax do one without antifreeze which is only suitable spring to autumn (the concentrated one) and one with but which seems to require volumes of antifreeze similar to other products.

I've not looked into whether the model 3 has any means of warming the reservoir (It's near the motor and hvac stuff so likely to catch some heat) so I suspect that a fair degree of anti-freeze may be needed since the car may not generate a lot of heat.

My old car actually had a heating loop from the radiator circuit going through the washer bottle...

I hadn't really thought about it much as was planning to stick to Halfords concentrate at 50% for the winter as it's not given me any trouble yet on other cars - is the model 3 significantly more fussy with its integrated wipers/jets?

Thanks for the replies. I assume with the SR+ there's no chance of residual heat coming from the motor,so wonder if it is heated?

Still non the wiser about OEM screen wash so I'll just pick up something random that can handle the Scottish winter.

Thanks for the replies. I assume with the SR+ there's no chance of residual heat coming from the motor,so wonder if it is heated?

Still non the wiser about OEM screen wash so I'll just pick up something random that can handle the Scottish winter.
Its something you rarely have to think about. Most ice tend to explode a fossil fuel to heat the washer fluid (i assume it does other stuff too, who knows?) I used to have an MR2 and was surprised how often the nozzles froze without and engine to keep them warm

So what can I top up the OEM screen wash with, that is either the same thing or safe to mix? :(
Pretty much anything. The only thing you should be concerned about is what impact it will have on your wax or sealant. If you haven't applied any of them, then any screen wash will do.
Edit: 1 caveat in the manual:

CAUTION: Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
Pretty much anything. The only thing you should be concerned about is what impact it will have on your wax or sealant. If you haven't applied any of them, then any screen wash will do.
Edit: 1 caveat in the manual:

CAUTION: Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.
so, it makes bugs squeak…

So what can I top up the OEM screen wash with, that is either the same thing or safe to mix? :(
For several years now I’ve always used Aldi’s ready to use screen wash, the blue stuff at £1.99 for 5 litres. No problems, and always good results. A few years ago I did try some much more expensive stuff from Autoglym, but I didn’t really find any difference.

In my experience it’s more important to keep the windscreen and wiper blades clean.

For several years now I’ve always used Aldi’s ready to use screen wash, the blue stuff at £1.99 for 5 litres. No problems, and always good results. A few years ago I did try some much more expensive stuff from Autoglym, but I didn’t really find any difference.

In my experience it’s more important to keep the windscreen and wiper blades clean.
Thanks for reminding me. I knew one of the supermarkets did one that was highly rated - but can never remember which one! The mix it yourself one is also very good.

Reactions: Roy W.