Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw in middle of tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a screw in the middle of my tire yesterday, and no tire shop will repair it because of the foam inside the tire.
Looks like I will need to buy new tires... :(

I bought a plug kit, guess I will do it myself.

Thoughts?

Plug it yourself...

You'll hear from the diehards how dangerous it is ...

Seems to have worked fine for the past half century or so ....

Dont waste the money, plug that sucker.

Works for me, besides my damn Android app does not have schedule a service visit anymore.
The voice message on the local SC says go to tesla.com/support and chat with them, that is not there.

Thanks

I bought a plug kit, guess I will do it myself.

I keep plug kit in car and renew it like every two years as the plugs breakdown in the heat a bit. I'm going to get back on the road and quick.
Its on the front where it gets hairy if it fails. I had a plug in one tire on my model S for a couple years. I did however mentally think about it when it was on the front after rotations. It was there all the way to the point the tire was worn out.

Plugging correctly though is an art. I said correctly

If its in the center they just remove the foam in that area, dress the tire on the back side and patch it. The foam is actually stuck by adhesive to the inside of the tire. Its nothing really. You must rebalance tire after that though.

with friction fit

Reactions: StarLog
For clarity, can you post your tire model/type? Honestly, I had no idea these tires were a factory option until a few months ago when someone randomly asked "You have those crazy foam filled tires, right? What do they cost?" and I had to look it up.

It’s an easy brainless job but I’ve had the same issue as you - it’s impossible to convince most tire shops to even try. They just look at it like it’s a tire from a UFO and say they couldn’t possibly risk touching it.

So I did what you suggest and plugged it myself. Held fine for 10k miles and I’m strangely still here to tell the tale.

I always keep this tire patch kit in the car along with a compressor.

With a slow leak, the compressor will do the job and for a nail type puncture, the kit is probably faster than waiting for road side assistance. Something I'd love to do is practice using this kit but not sure how I can do that short of a flat tire. Maybe I should go to a tire place, give someone a tip for letting me practice on a few old tires :p

I like this kit because it comes with the plyers and other tools you need in a nice case.

@traxila

$80 is high, Tires Plus rang me up at $46 before they realized they could not do it.

@FoxSTL2HOU

Michellin (SP) 245/45R19

I finally purchased a kit at AutoZone for like $9 and took wheel off, then plugged it. Nice and easy.

HOW do I get rid of the nag screen that says "Tire Pressure is Low"

I always keep this tire patch kit in the car along with a compressor.

With a slow leak, the compressor will do the job and for a nail type puncture, the kit is probably faster than waiting for road side assistance. Something I'd love to do is practice using this kit but not sure how I can do that short of a flat tire. Maybe I should go to a tire place, give someone a tip for letting me practice on a few old tires :p

I like this kit because it comes with the plyers and other tools you need in a nice case.

Amazon.com: Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit For Car, Truck, RV, Jeep, ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit: Automotive

That is a serious kit! No plastic handles! The plastic $5 kit from walmart will work as well. Just keep a cheap pliers and a razor blade in the trunk and you are GTG. You should have a spare tool kit anyway...old habit. Ha, I should find mine. I need the port-compressor, though. Any suggestions?

Reactions: StarLog
@traxila

$80 is high, Tires Plus rang me up at $46 before they realized they could not do it.

@FoxSTL2HOU

Michellin (SP) 245/45R19

I finally purchased a kit at AutoZone for like $9 and took wheel off, then plugged it. Nice and easy.

HOW do I get rid of the nag screen that says "Tire Pressure is Low"

You don't really need to take the wheel off to repair a screw hole. Just roll the car forward or backwards until it's at a spot below the body where you can get to it just above the ground. Ream it out, plug 'er up and call it a day.

I have the Air Hawk Pro.
Comes with a carry bag, wall charger, and cig lighter charger with long cable.

Air Hawk Pro AHP-MC6/2 Cordless Tire Inflator - Black 735541109225 | eBay

I wish Dewalt would make something like this because I'd be all over it with the extensive yellow battery collection I already have. Dewalt, are you listening? Make one of these in either 12v or 20v and sell it as a "tool only" and you've got at least one buyer. lol