Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wear blue jeans a lot and just got my first nick in the B-post leather and I am really careful getting in and out of the car. The culprit: the copper rivet that is on every blue jean pocket hit the post; maybe I have to change my wardrobe. Not happy that Tesla doesn't use leather dyed black all the way through and not just on the surface. The white underneath really stands out against the black. Ugh!

I have 6500 miles on mine, and have been the only person in the drivers seat. I am 6'2" and my side rubs the pillar every time.
I have tried moving the seat further back, which makes it worse. I have a profile to move the seat forward, which although it solves the problem for the most part, my legs then rub on the steering wheel getting in and out (and the steering wheel is moved as far up and forward as it can go). This also causes a little stress on my back.

I believe that this problem should be fixed with a redesign.

Another thing to note is that the seat movement and steering wheel movement are not parallel, which takes forever to make the necessary change. Sometimes that time is far too long, as I have 5 kids and they are often way too quick getting out of the car.

Here is something that may work that TM could do to remedy the problem without doing any major changes.

TM could have the both front seats move forward just beyond the troubled spot on the B-pillar whenever entering and move back to the driver's desired seating position just before departure or slide forward when exiting the S.

I know from people it may cause an issue but it's a simple and quick solution via a download. Just a thought...
My assumption is that the "entry/exit" memory profile would allow you to do just that. it is counter-intuitive. in most cars, the exit/entry setting is "seat back and steering wheel up and in". I guess you could make the S one "seat forward just past the pillar and steering wheel all the way up and in". (Just like the reverse mirror setting let's you position the mirror any way, not just tilt down). For now, just set those and use it every time you exit. later it can be updated to automatically happen. But i bet that wouldn't help everyone and may hurt some. Not a real fix at the moment.

My assumption is that the "entry/exit" memory profile would allow you to do just that. it is counter-intuitive. in most cars, the exit/entry setting is "seat back and steering wheel up and in". I guess you could make the S one "seat forward just past the pillar and steering wheel all the way up and in". (Just like the reverse mirror setting let's you position the mirror any way, not just tilt down). For now, just set those and use it every time you exit. later it can be updated to automatically happen. But i bet that wouldn't help everyone and may hurt some. Not a real fix at the moment.

Trust me I thought about that as well but keep in mind the current issue is interior b-pillar destruction. If setting a profile or manually moving the seats resolve the issue until TM can come up with the solution or a redesign then hey...go for it. If that does not work oh well. I agree with you and others that a redesign is the ultimate answer.

Trust me I thought about that as well but keep in mind the current issue is interior b-pillar destruction. If setting a profile or manually moving the seats resolve the issue until TM can come up with the solution or a redesign then hey...go for it. If that does not work oh well. I agree with you and others that a redesign is the ultimate answer.
A redesign of the b-pillar will solve the problem for cars in the future, but current owners with areas vulnerable to wear need a fix that doesn't involve a structural change to our cars. I'm still thinking that an entry/exit profile combined with a stainless steel, aluminum or plastic molded cover is apt to be best . . . but I await an answer from wiser minds. And I am certain that Tesla has a lot of bright people to do it.

I think the problem can be lessened with the installation of a grab handle. Right now, if you want to get into the car feet first, you need to slide in which usually means against the b-pillar, if you had a handle, you could use that to support you while you lower yourself into the car.

I think the problem can be lessened with the installation of a grab handle. Right now, if you want to get into the car feet first, you need to slide in which usually means against the b-pillar, if you had a handle, you could use that to support you while you lower yourself into the car.
That might be helpful, but not eliminate the need for a wear guard of some sort. Would definately need to be carefully designed...so it would be useful/convenient without blocking up the lines of the car's interior or creating something you'd wack your head on!

B pillar wearing

Several people have noticed this. Almost all the demo cars show signs of this wear. The B pillar is pushed relatively far forward, so if you have long legs, you need to do some acrobatics to get out of the car without brushing against it.

An easy work around is to sit butt-first into the car.....I know it's not something that we usually do, but it works. I'll need to get a replacement as mine is worn already (Signature, white). It would be nice if these were made out of the Pleather that BMW uses.
-Jason

While a redesign would help future owners, what about those of us with cars here or soon to be delivered? If all else fails and I get this issue I will either have male snaps (or velcro) installed on the pillar and then have a piece of material made with the female snaps (or velcro) and that should look good and hold up fairly well (at least in theory). It should be fairly cheap and blend in well. Just a thought.

I hope the entry/exit profile bit is optional. I barely rub that pillar and prefer to have my seat stay in one spot. but there does need to be some sort of nice looking protective cap to glue over that spot.
Evan, I expect they would do it like the mirror tilt in reverse: simple and appropriate for both preferences.

While I remain concerned about the wear issue, this prompts me to think about the overarching issue of how Tesla should address the challenges that are brought to their attention. When I PM'd GeorgeB about the wear on the b-pillar, he quickly responded and referred it to someone who addresses product design. That's all fine, but where is the follow up on this and a host of other issues that owners have raised. I don't like to whine, but I don't like feeling ignored either. TM ought to have some communication device that allows us to know how and when issues will be addressed.

As some of you know, I don't have my car yet. But have been thinking about this issue and looking at interior pics that show the whole interior of the B-pillar and rear post where the wear is occurring (not just close up photos of the wear). I also recall one recipient of their car where they said they had given him the wrong interior (like obeche wood instead of carbon fiber). I dont recall if there was someone who got the wrong interior color.

But anyways, for that person, I think I read they were just going to "replace" the wrong trim pieces and it might be as simple as snapping the old ones out and the new ones in. I wonder if these post areas could be switched out in that manner. If so, then Tesla could create new pieces to fit in those areas that are made of non-porous, more durable material. NOt sure if hard plastic is the right choice (since that could get scratched) but something of the like - color-matched of course. It may not look as nice as the wraparound leather look, but then again, it might look much better than seeing such wear after such a short period of time.

Or, design a new post that doesn't jut out as much (or recesses away) that would snap into those places also. Again, possibly of different material.

I know there are a lot of "ifs" here, but to me, that would be the best case and relatively low cost, low effort resolution.

I've owned my Model S less than 2 months and have put on about 1,300 miles. I started to notice post wear almost immediately and so now go out of my way to back into the car while cupping the post with my hand. This will work for some time with the exception that other people driving the car, mostly car wash employees, are unaware of the problem. Tesla must first come up with a permanent fix, the easiest being a slight redesign of the B pillar cladding as well as the rear seat area area subject to the same wear problem. Then Tesla should be responsible to install the fix on all affected cars.

In an earlier post I had reported a PM to GB in which he noted that our concerns about seat post wear were being referred to a design group. I have written him a second time and am awaiting a reply. So far it appears that Tesla has dropped the ball and perhaps won't address it until tens of thousands of cars across the country look like crap because of their obvious design flaw.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Picked mine up in mid-Feb and immediately had signs of wear from the passenger side. Driver side is still good since I knew about the issue and have been extremely careful. Unfortunately, with the number of rides I've given, I can't prevent the passenger side from getting worn. Very disappointing indeed at how quickly the corners get worn out.

There were reports that redesigned posts were being built into cars beginning around VIN 4700 or so onwards. This was info from a manager at one of the Tesla service centers. This was all discussed in the rear seat post wear thread. So, we've been looking for photo confirmation from anyone with a recent build if there are infant any changes. So far, no pics have emerged even though we are seeing cars with VINS in the 8000s being delivered now. So I have decided that unless proven otherwise, this was falls under 'didn't happen' since no pics...

Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear - Page 4

When I PM'd GeorgeB about the wear on the b-pillar, he quickly responded and referred it to someone who addresses product design. That's all fine, but where is the follow up on this and a host of other issues that owners have raised. I don't like to whine, but I don't like feeling ignored either.

You're not whining. You paid $70K+ to a company for their product and you expect that product to be as-described. Frankly, PMs to GeorgeB shouldn't be necessary to resolve a basic customer issue. If they aren't properly equipped to handle the basics, that's their problem to figure out not yours. It became their problem when they accepted your money.

I understand that some will sympathize with Tesla (the company that happily took your money) and suggest that 'this is Tesla's first go-round at this scale so cut them a break.' You already cut them a check, you don't need to cut them any breaks. Would you cut me a break if you paid me $70K for a product that needed attention and I simply didn't return your calls? Would it matter if my brother told you that 'this is my first-time doing this'...he'll eventually get to it but right now he's too busy selling more product? I would hope not.

Anyways, hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction. Hope Tesla can get their crap together too because I have $70k to give to them when they do.

Last edited: