Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this problem gone with the Extended Leather Option?

I heard there was a redesign and am going to have to make a more careful observation of a newer car. Mine has the stitching right along the protrusion that, I think, is susceptible to wear. I've been careful with my car and have had no problems after 23,000 miles of use.

The loaner I had yesterday with the wear I posted was confirmed as a former showroom car. I was surprised to see so much wear on the rear doors, but being a showroom model, it makes sense with so many people getting in and out all day long. The leather on the seats themselves and everywhere else was in remarkably good condition.

I'd almost forgotten about this issue. On the lower portion of the b-pillar of my first MS (vin 24XX) the leather-like material could have worn badly if I wasn't careful with entries and exits. On my current MS (vin 197XX), that portion of the b-pillar is covered with a plastic-like material - maybe not as classy, but it holds up nicely!

I'd almost forgotten about this issue. On the lower portion of the b-pillar of my first MS (vin 24XX) the leather-like material could have worn badly if I wasn't careful with entries and exits. On my current MS (vin 197XX), that portion of the b-pillar is covered with a plastic-like material - maybe not as classy, but it holds up nicely!

Can you post a photo?

Can you post a photo?

And does your newer Model S have the extended leather option?

I had excessive wear on the B pillar and the drivers seat left bolster. The pillar was especially bad because of the rivet on my jeans catching it. I called the Burlingame CA service department and they had me send some photos to them. They replaced both the pillar and seat under warrenty for me fairly quickly.

I hope they come up with a better solution though long term because the replacement is the exact same design as the original. The pillar is a bad design so you can see why it is a problem but what really surprised me is how quickly the seat leather wore through.

Ressurecting this thread, I noticed this wear today on the upper b-pillar. I've very gentle with the car but I suspect winter coats make this more of a problem.

2-19-2015 12-42-35 PM.jpg

I ended up covering the vinyl-covered "points" on the lower part since Tesla has not apparently redesigned the points and every Tesla loaner I've seen has them knocked off. The upper b-pillar part caught me by surprise or I would have come up with some homebrew solution.

Question to the group:

My car has the base headliner - do the alcantara cars have this part covered in alcantara? Maybe this is more sturdy as the base material is ridiculously fragile.

I still have a couple of my ICE cars with 10x the age and miles showing nothing like this kind of wear.

If I figure out a workable solution I will follow up.

It's when you open the driver door on the inside of the B pillar. For taller drivers who have the seat fairly far back, when you get in it's nearly impossible not to rub against this spot.
When I traded in my car and pointed this out the SC people just smiled and said something like "broken by design". Apparently most taller owners have this problem. I didn't even ask if they have done something to improve this situation in the newer car (my old one was VIN #116xx, produced April 2013)

Last edited:
Better photo for those having difficulty visualizing. As dirkhh pointed above, taller drivers (guilty) have the seat fully back.

2-22-2015 9-00-54 PM.jpg

Had I noticed this earlier, I'd have put a piece of surface guard tape on it. "Broken by design" is correct - all the pointy edges on the front and rear entry portals have to have exceptional care to avoid knocking the fabric/vinyl from the points. Those with leather and alcantara probably have better wear.

Better photo for those having difficulty visualizing. As dirkhh pointed above, taller drivers (guilty) have the seat fully back.

I swear I'm not trying to be difficult. Maybe I'm just really dense. But could you take a picture that shows some part of the car that is recognizable, with this in it? It doesn't matter if we can't see the damage to the fabric at all in that picture, as we can see that in the others. But I still can't visualize where this is.

Thanks!

I swear I'm not trying to be difficult. Maybe I'm just really dense. But could you take a picture that shows some part of the car that is recognizable, with this in it? It doesn't matter if we can't see the damage to the fabric at all in that picture, as we can see that in the others. But I still can't visualize where this is.

Thanks!

Andy, plant your rear on the steering wheel and look back out the door towards the door post. That's what you see in the picture. The head rest and seat are to the left of the picture, the driver door opening is to the right of the picture.

Open your driver's side door. See the b-pillar where the silver divides the upper half from the bottom half on the inside. I also swear I am not trying to be a wise guy, but you do know what the b-pillar is, right?

Thanks!

This appears to be taken in the driver door opening, facing towards the rear. Note the air pressure sticker, which is inside the driver door frame. Maybe that helps.

Yes. Mine is covered with alcantara. I noticed it getting a little worn so now I am careful getting in and out. It was turning black, maybe from my black coat rubbing on it going in and out. I had them look at it. They were able to clean it. But now I am careful getting in and out, but Now I get in harder into the car because of it.

In these photos it is fairly apparent how it might wear over time. Particularly when the seat is aft for taller folks.

2-23-2015 4-05-45 PM.jpg

2-23-2015 4-10-26 PM.jpg

I think you might have to be pretty short not to have the seat back behind the b-pillar, it's even in the beauty pics.

2-23-2015 4-49-36 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Andy, plant your rear on the steering wheel and look back out the door towards the door post. That's what you see in the picture. The head rest and seat are to the left of the picture, the driver door opening is to the right of the picture.

Thanks. Yes, with that additional perspective I think I've got it. When my wife gets home with the car I'll go take a look, but I can at least visualize where this is now.

Open your driver's side door. See the b-pillar where the silver divides the upper half from the bottom half on the inside. I also swear I am not trying to be a wise guy, but you do know what the b-pillar is, right?

Yes, I know where the B-pillar is. But the pictures were so tight, and included such little perspective I really couldn't tell what I was looking at. I wasn't taking them out to my car and trying to match them up. One picture taken from a distance that included part of the seat or headrest or door, visible and identifiable as the seat or the headrest or the door, would have done the trick.

This appears to be taken in the driver door opening, facing towards the rear. Note the air pressure sticker, which is inside the driver door frame. Maybe that helps.

Thanks for trying to help. Sorry I wasn't getting it!

Edit: Thanks for the big pictures redi, posted after I posted the above. Now of course I see where this is. Thank you.