Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat post wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue with my BMW and figured out it was wear due to my fingernails hitting the leather while reaching around for my seatbelt. Not sure if that is going on here. I have not seen it on my MS but I have only had it a month.

If you opted for the "extended nappa leather" (like yours) these to be able to tolerate the "point" wear significantly better than the folks with the vinyl/pleather (like mine).

I made the mistake presuming the vinyl in the Tesla interior areas would be of premium quality and more robust than leather (like my limited experience with Mb-Tex, for example). It's not even close.

The Service Center is going to replace it, but it is really only a temporary fix. I drove a loaner with the full leather [and Antarctica headliner], and I probably should have gone that way in retrospect.

I really love my car but in hindsight after spending some time in the cabin, my personal opinion is that the interior needs to be a couple of notches up from where it is at this price point. Maybe future models will be at that level rather than more like a Detroit product (I know, I will get flamed for that comment) :) Really hoping it tolerates years of normal wear better than is seems to a month in.

Last edited:
you know, i have just naturally taken to ingressing by sitting butt first and swinging legs in, this is how i have gotten into several cars in the past like 911s, etc. smallish sports cars. works for me and i confess i haven't even been aware of rubbing the pillar or anything odd. i'm going to pay attention the next time i get in and see... fwiw.

I just re-discovered this myself and was coming in here to post it. I used to sit in my Corvette the same way to avoid sliding down the seat Bolsters and wearing them out. It's a lot easier on your back too. For those that can't picture it, you basically turn your back to the open door and sit your butt in the seat sideways, so both feet stay flat on the ground. Then you swing your legs up and over the door sill and swivel in your seat to face front. You get out the same way only in reverse.

I actually discovered this method when I had back surgery a few years ago. If your back hurts, this is the best way to get in and out of the car and it has the added benefit of not wearing out your seats prematurely or getting a bunch of shoe marks on your door sill. It's a win-win! Once you go to this method of ingress and egress you will never go back to the old way again. ;)

Generally speaking, there's nothing I can do to avoid this wear... which has already started on my car. I'm 6'2", but very stocky... 260+lbs.. I'm too wide to get out of this car without rubbing be B-Pillar. Period. I hate the idea of having to use gaffers tape or something else to protect this area, but I'm thinking I'll have no choice.
I would also like to say, while I love the car, the interior is not worthy of the price tag, nor does it stay in line with American or European counterparts in terms of quality of build or materials.

Generally speaking, there's nothing I can do to avoid this wear... which as already started on my car. I'm 6'2", but very stocky... 260lbs.. I'm too wide to get out of this car without rubbing be B-Pillar. Period. I hate the idea of having to use gaffers tape or something else to protect this area, but I'm thinking I'll have no choice...

Somebody posted a link to some clear "Corner Guards" they got on Amazon that didn't look too bad. Hopefully one day someone will come out with an aftermarket fix or Tesla will redesign the inside to make that corner not stick out so far.

So this hasn't been discussed in a while, but I'm driving a loaner today with about 4,000 miles on it and it has some pretty bad wear on all 4 "corners". I should note that I have no damage on my car at all, and I have over 23,000 miles.

IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG

I had one of mine replaced that had the point knocked off. Frankly I think it might have been damaged prior to delivery or even possibly at the sc, but it could also be me. I've just resorted to helicopter tape/surface protection tape.

Last edited:
The loaners have all kinds of people get in/out of them daily, and it's hard to correlate wear to mileage. I had a loaner with 200 miles on it, and the interior was much more worn than my car at that time(~8k miles).

also I have the smooth leather in that part vs that loaner pic^^ or my buddies car

Mine is exactly like in this loaner car, that is to say with the stitching along the edges like that, and I have no problems whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

The loaners have all kinds of people get in/out of them daily, and it's hard to correlate wear to mileage. I had a loaner with 200 miles on it, and the interior was much more worn than my car at that time(~8k miles).

I suppose that's true... just like the showroom cars showing wear.

They replaced for free? My side is in perfect condition because I'm aware of the issue and am conscious to make sure I don't scrape it, but the passenger's side has some wear because people that ride with me aren't as careful.

I remember what a big issue this was at the time and then it just went away until it was resurrected today. I'm over 31k miles and mine looks fine. I consciously avoided it at first but I haven't even thought about it in at least six months.

I keep the steering wheel close to the dash to allow enough room for me to sneak in without hitting the prominence, but it would be nice if there was a cap of satin stainless that we could apply once the leather starts to go. Then I wouldn't have to stretch my arms out so far. (I'm too lazy to keep adjusting the steering wheel in and out....)