TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seatbelt Issue

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jeffro01, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Took delivery on 11/25, noticed on 11/27 that the passengers side seatbelt is defective as it randomly engages the tension lock mechanism to where you can't pull the belt out far enough to fasten it. Took it by the Dublin service center who confirmed the issue and ordered a new seatbelt for me and will call me to get it replaced once it comes in. So no issues there. My question is, has anyone else seen this type of an issue? Just seems odd to have such a random failure but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Otherwise the car has been outstanding so yeah... :)

Jeff

2. BertL

BertL Active Member

No similar issue on my 90D. I wouldn't stress over it. Just get it resolved as you are and get back to enjoying your MS.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Interesting, so you would be only the second car out of ~90,000 that had this issue correct?

4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Possibly, I have no idea. The issue comes and goes so luckily the service center was able to reproduce it.

Jeff

5. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

No, the failure with the seat belt that triggered the recall was a totally different type of failure, on a different part.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes I re-read the post and you're right. Thanks.

7. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

My rear seat belts were very tight and the tensioners would barely fasten around a person before locking (and no the people were not large they were average size adults 130lbs). All three rear seat belts were replaced early on. 25xxx vin

8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Cool beans, good to know. I'm sure ours will be fine when we get it swapped.

Jeff

9. redox

redox Member

Oddly enough, this happened to me yesterday, on my way back from Tahoe. The passenger seat belt locked up to the point that my wife couldn't extend it properly to latch.
    She had to go to the back seat for about a half hour, until the mechanism unlocked itself somehow.
    Lucky we weren't full and we had alternative seating, else we'd have been stuck. In a few weeks I have some family coming over to visit and we'll be occupying all seats, so this is worrisome.