Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats in Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a 3 awhile back. I found the seats to be uncomfortable, as have many others. The Y has the same seats, I gather, but they sit higher, which could change the seating dynamics. How comfortable have people found the Y seats? And yes, I did a search, but could not find anything relevant, though I have yet to find a forum on any subject with a good search engine.

Reactions: mangrove79
I drove a 3 awhile back. I found the seats to be uncomfortable, as have many others. The Y has the same seats, I gather, but they sit higher, which could change the seating dynamics. How comfortable have people found the Y seats? And yes, I did a search, but could not find anything relevant, though I have yet to find a forum on any subject with a good search engine.

I've put 37,000 miles on my 2020 Model Y, and I've not been uncomfortable during any of it. But I am not as particular of a sitter as I've found others to be.

Surely you could schedule a test drive?

I've never sat in a Model 3, but our Model Y seats are very comfortable to us. Personally, I love the seats after sitting in them for over 11,000 miles. I've owned many cars over the last 50 years. These seats are easily my favorite.

Last edited:
I found the seats painful on my hips, I believe the back of the seat is too low and narrow. During my test drive I ended up stopping, pulling over and sitting on my jacket which seemed to prop me up enough to be comfortable again. I’m bought a small seat cushion that’s wedge shaped that I believe will alleviate the issue for now. I might look into an upholsterer to pad it up in the future for a better fix.

Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, I am 6', 180 lbs. Fairly long legs. I guess I will have to go sit in one.
That’s the only way to find out. FWIW, I’m 6’2” long legs. My previous car was a BMW with the expensive optional bazillion-way comfort seats. I have horrible degenerative back and neck problems, one back surgery with another pending. I thought I would miss the extendable thigh supports the most. I didn’t miss that at all, never even crossed my mind after a couple of days.

I’ve only done one long trip in it, about 9 1/2 hours on the road in one day. At the end of that drive in the BMW I would feel beat to pieces, both physically and mentally fatigued. In the Y at the end I was still comfortable and fresh. Part of the reason is the comfort of the seat, part the fact that the car was doing all the busy work allowing me to relax and keep a better eye on the vehicles around me.

Your keister may vary.

I love the seats in my MYP, but I also find them comfortable when I sit in my co-workers M3... so I am not the judge you are looking for :)

Keith

I need the extension, as I can't put the seat far enough back to make my long legs comfortable, without having to "reach" for the steering wheel, even when that is fully extended. So, on longer trips, my left though and buttock get cramped from the awkward leg position

For what its worth, I have sat in the S, 3, and Y. I sat in an S a long time ago, but I remember it being very comfortable (probably more comfortable than the Y.) The 3 was the least comfortable for me, and the Y was right up there for me with the S. Granted I've put on 30 lbs in the time between sitting in the S and sitting in the Y. So from a 5' 11" self proclaimed fat-ass, I think the Y seats were among the most comfortable I've sat in. My favorite seat so far has been a Mercedes S class, but that's a different animal :)

What is pretty interesting for me about Tesla seats is they never seem to "bottom out" or flatten in the bottom. It always feels like there is a great level of depth to the cushion. My only gripe is that I love a heavily bolstered seat. Even my last sports car, which had good sized bolsters were never really that tight fitting. My cousins RS7 though... Now that is a seat that hugs you!

Coming from a couple of large luxury cars (Lexus LS460 and GX460) and having owned some sporty cars with great seats (VW GTI, BMW 535), I was worried about the comfort of the MYP seats. 5 days in, I love the seats. Very comfy and able to be adjusted just where I want them. My wifes Audi Q5 Prestige has bolstered sport seats with adjustable thigh extension, and I loved those seats, but my MYP seat is more comfortable.

Myself, teen, tween & wife like the performance model Y vegan leather seats. We also had no issues with the 2010 Prius seats & 2013 Chevy Volt seats. My teen seems to like the performance model Y the most because the seat can recline a bit and she loves to look out the glass roof and day dream during rides.

Seating comfort is a personal issue. While most find the Tesla seats to be some of the best they have experienced, others find them uncomfortable.

Nobody else can tell for certain that they will be comfortable for you. That is why Tesla offers showrooms in many areas for people to bring their families to see if everyone can find them acceptable.

Latest S/x have added ventilated seating as well. Some may find that to be of additonal benefit as well.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Thanks for the feedback. FWIW, I am 6', 180 lbs. Fairly long legs. I guess I will have to go sit in one.
I'm 6'5" 220 lbs with a 36" inseam. I've found my MY to be among the more comfortable cars I've driven. I came from an Audi A4 which was also comfortable but sat quite low. The Model Y seats sit up higher and give me a better driving position. The longest trip I've taken was 5 hours and I was perfectly comfortable for that. I had a Model 3 as a loaner car today and it was fine but I definitely noticed the seats being lower down.

As others have said, there's no substitute for trying yourself. No one else can tell how your bum is going to feel!