Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats starting to crack after 2 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B9980FCE-C3EF-4FC2-91FB-D639E14C3846.jpeg
I've heard this and I think I even saw a link to the seat material at some point on this forum, but at this point I don't know what to believe and I figure the mildest substance which will eliminate the problem is probably good. Baby wipes seem like a good candidate. We have tons of those, I'll try them next time to see if they are as effective. And can save that Chemical Guys stuff for the plastics, etc. It has UV blockers in it, which seems good for all those other surfaces.

Speaking from my experience, rubbing alcohol works great. I use a different brand, probably close to same stuff, it’s by chemical guys...see attached picture.

Here’s a link for the seat makers for Tesla... Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics

Here is mine before and after. The color transfer builds up after a few months.

I did not spend any time on it, and used this cleaner someone here recommended (it’s not supposed to be harsh - don’t want it to remove any coating that may exist). It seems fine.
Just a few sprays and a few wipes with a microfiber. Good enough for me. With a little more spray might even get it cleaner.

Before
View attachment 398815
After
View attachment 398818
View attachment 398817
Cleaners, by nature, are harsh. While the seat will be very clean it will exacerbate drying out unless followed by a conditioner. Another option to remove wrinkles from leather, don’t know if it’s works with the vegan stuff because I haven’t done it myself on vegan, is to use steam. The steam tightens up the skin.

Baby wipes seem like a good candidate.

I use baby wipes too (actually for many surfaces in the house that need gentle cleaning as well). They also work very well on the leather in our e-Golf, even though my detailer recommended using a certain type of Dove skin care cream/lotion to treat stains on leather. I tried his suggestion and it works even better than the baby wipes on real leather. On the white Model 3 interior I didn't notice much difference in effectiveness though as both treatments worked well.

Best way is to change the way you enter and exit the car. Use your left hand to brace yourself against the door sill as a support to gently lower yourself into and out of the car. Don’t crush the side bolsters with your weight. The vegan leather material is very thin and delicate, and shows creases quickly especially on Model 3, which has soft foamy seats. You can’t treat a Model 3 like just another Camry, 3-series, or Golf.

Reactions: Mr X
Condition seat. Cleaners, wipes, etc dehydrate the seat. A conditioner should be used at regular intervals and post cleaner. One technique is to massage conditioner in. In warmer weather the car can be put in sun and let the heat warm up the interior and the seats will soak up the conditioner. I use Leatherique two part system.
That does nothing to Tesla seats. They are polyurethane, not leather.

Reactions: Mr X
Best way is to change the way you enter and exit the car. Use your left hand to brace yourself against the door sill as a support to gently lower yourself into and out of the car. Don’t crush the side bolsters with your weight. The vegan leather material is very thin and delicate, and shows creases quickly especially on Model 3, which has soft foamy seats. You can’t treat a Model 3 like just another Camry, 3-series, or Golf.

My Golf R leather seats were annoying.

Attachments

• DFC0E152-4BC5-4EA7-88A3-FCD81170E78B.jpeg
    DFC0E152-4BC5-4EA7-88A3-FCD81170E78B.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 120