Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seats ticking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my new seat replaced. Took 2 hours and the sound is gone.

The bulletin is RONC9827006695.

Seat ordered 11/18 and delivered to Tesla Bellevue on 12/28, installed a week later.

I know you said up thread that you did not have the Next Gen seats. But do you know if the bulletin number applies to the Next Gen seats as well as to the seats you have?

Thanks, and congrats on getting rid of the ticking!

I never asked them. You could always email or call them to find out though.

Thanks.

I'm waiting, supposedly, for a new driver's seat. I was just wondering if I could mention that bulletin number to my service advisor or not. There's not really any upside to doing it if there's any chance he will come back and say, "That doesn't apply to the Next Gen seats."

I'll just wait and see what happens.

Thanks again!

I have ticking, but thought it was the dash above the glovebox. But every now and then, it sounds like the pass seat. I think it's both. They tried to fix the dash by adding insulation, but it's still there. When I take it back in for that, and now the heater that doesn't heat below 80º, I'll mention the seat as a possibility. I have NG seats, too.

I have ticking, but thought it was the dash above the glovebox. But every now and then, it sounds like the pass seat. I think it's both. They tried to fix the dash by adding insulation, but it's still there. When I take it back in for that, and now the heater that doesn't heat below 80º, I'll mention the seat as a possibility. I have NG seats, too.

I have a video posted in post 14 of this thread, demonstrating what my ticking sounds like. Some others said their ticking sounded the same, but others have had a different kind of ticking.

Good luck with yours.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
So I had 2 issues with my drivers seat... this ticking sound which was harder to reproduce and another rattle which was easy to reproduce. The rattle was easily traced since I could rock the entire seat and the seat would move and rattle. They replaced the drivers seat for the rattle in late December. It fixed the rattle, but the ticking sound still persists.

Is there somewhere we can see the service bulletin information or do we just mention it to the service center?

So I had 2 issues with my drivers seat... this ticking sound which was harder to reproduce and another rattle which was easy to reproduce. The rattle was easily traced since I could rock the entire seat and the seat would move and rattle. They replaced the drivers seat for the rattle in late December. It fixed the rattle, but the ticking sound still persists.

Is there somewhere we can see the service bulletin information or do we just mention it to the service center?

Does your ticking sound like the ticking in my video? If so, the fact that it still exists after the seat was replaced is of serious concern. Do you think you just received a second defective seat? Are your seats Next Generation seats?

Thanks.

So yes it sounds like the ticking in your video. It happens going over bumps but not always. Its that plastic hitting plastic sound. I have my yearly service soon so I'll have them look at it again and also I'll mention the bulletin.

I do not have next gen seats (they are way too narrow and feel uncomfortable on my shoulders).

I've had a number of noise issues with my car delivered June 2015. They fixed this one on the first try for me. I could reproduce the issue by bouncing up and down in the seat. As mentioned by others, they replaced rivets holding both of my next gen front seats in July and they have been quiet since.

I've had a number of noise issues with my car delivered June 2015. They fixed this one on the first try for me. I could reproduce the issue by bouncing up and down in the seat. As mentioned by others, they replaced rivets holding both of my next gen front seats in July and they have been quiet since.

So just to be clear, they replaced rivets only, and did not replace the entire seat?

Was your noise similar to or the same as the noise in the video I posted up thread? (Link below.)
Seats ticking?

Thanks!

So just to be clear, they replaced rivets only, and did not replace the entire seat?

Was your noise similar to or the same as the noise in the video I posted up thread? (Link below.)
Seats ticking?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe the metallic click was the same or similar. Here is the note they placed in the invoice:

Removed seat frame to gain access to rivets that hold on front plate. Removed rivets, insulated contact surfaces and installed new rivets. Clicking noise is no longer present after repairs.

You're welcome!

• Helpful
Reactions: ack1 and Andyw2100
Yes, I believe the metallic click was the same or similar. Here is the note they placed in the invoice:

Removed seat frame to gain access to rivets that hold on front plate. Removed rivets, insulated contact surfaces and installed new rivets. Clicking noise is no longer present after repairs.

Excellent, that is very solid information for me to take to my service center. At this point I've still been in limbo, waiting, supposedly, for a new seat, although it has been months now. I'll plan on giving my service center a call tomorrow with this new information. This seems like a much simpler and less costly fix.

Thanks again!

So, even though I had provided my service center the exact language about the rivets, my service center thought they had resolved the issue without doing anything involving the rivets. They believed they had resolved the issue by repositioning the wiring harness or some other cable under the driver's seat. Unfortunately they did not, and the really annoying metallic clicking sound is exactly as it was before my car went in for service. The result of this is two more videos, since I need to show the service personnel what I'm talking about. (I have one posted up thread that I had shown to the service personnel months ago, and then again immediately before my car went in for service.)

I had my wife shoot some video as I was driving this evening. I have posted both the raw video, as well as a version where I attempted to filter out some of the background noise, to make it easier to hear the metallic clicking sounds. The videos are below. I'll include the description I included on YouTube with the first, as it includes the precise times of some of the sounds.

Metallic Clicking Sound, Background Noise Filtered:

YouTube Description:
This is a short video, made solely to demonstrate the sound of the metallic clicking noise coming from behind my Next Generation Driver's seat while actually driving. This is the companion video I made to the original video. In this one, I attempted to filter out some of the background noise, so it may be easier to hear the metallic clicking sounds on this video. If you'd like to hear the sounds exactly as they were recorded in the car, please watch and listen to the other video. I also have a video of me pressing on the seat, and you can easily hear the sounds which are exaggerated in that video. Please note that the sounds are the same. They are just easier to hear when nothing else is going on.

The metallic clicking sounds can be heard, if you listen carefully, throughout this video, but some pretty clear ones can be heard at the following times:

Several in the first five seconds, including very distinct ones at 1.5 seconds and 3 seconds. Then at seconds 8, 22, 27, 32, 37 (very distinct), 47, 50 (very distinct), 56.

Metallic Clicking Sound, No Filtering:

Last edited:
  • Informative
So, even though I had provided my service center the exact language about the rivets, my service center thought they had resolved the issue without doing anything involving the rivets. They believed they had resolved the issue by repositioning the wiring harness or some other cable under the driver's seat. Unfortunately they did not, and the really annoying metallic clicking sound is exactly as it was before my car went in for service. The result of this is two more videos, since I need to show the service personnel what I'm talking about. (I have one posted up thread that I had shown to the service personnel months ago, and then again immediately before my car went in for service.)
Ugg! I feel for you. I've gone through a very similar pattern. My impression is the SCs were already too busy, and now they're overwhelmed with Model X owners with much more serious problems. I'm not sure those of us with real problems that fall more in the annoyance category are having enough importance placed on solving our problems.

I had my ticking seat replaced in November. Worked well, until recently, the ticking is back.... Did anyone find any solution to this? Is bulletin RONC9827006695 mentioned in this thread replacing the whole seat (which I have done and it seems a short term fix) or is here a permanent fix for this?

I've started noticing the "ticking" sounds as well lately. One thing I noticed is that when I applied pressure to my yacht floor it seemed to help a bit. My yacht floor has never fit exactly "right" (known issue) and recently tried to have that looked at during my annual service. It appeared to be better fitting right after the appointment but now the right sided rubber strips have regressed back below the level of the floor again. The ticking sound has just been starting lately and what I'm wondering is if its possible that I'm hearing the sounds of the adhesive sticking and unsticking beneath the yacht floor as I drive. Just a thought........I'll try to experiment with this a little more and see if anything works with applying pressure on the yacht floor. Does everyone else with this problem have a yacht floor?