Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid too much RTA tax: $616 back in March. So glad that this car is going to be valued at 35k with depreciation going forward for the RTA. Thanks gearchruncher, Foxhound199 and all for fixing this and figuring it out.

My quick question: Do I contact the DOL or Tesla to get the $231 refund?

Thanks!

Also on the DOL's RTA estimator it has my VIN with a MSRP of 56k, without my VIN the Model 3 is 35k

Last edited:
Reactions: jsanford
I paid too much RTA tax: $616 back in March. So glad that this car is going to be valued at 35k with depreciation going forward for the RTA. Thanks gearchruncher, Foxhound199 and all for fixing this and figuring it out.

My quick question: Do I contact the DOL or Tesla to get the $231 refund?

Thanks!

Also on the DOL's RTA estimator it has my VIN with a MSRP of 56k, without my VIN the Model 3 is 35k
Tesla never saw any of that money. You should contact the DOL.

The FOIA is in .MSG format so if anyone has a good way to convert to .PDF or something, that would be helpful.

I took one quick glance, and it appears the reason the numbers jumped suddenly was that they had failed to count the Model 3 at all. They updated their script to catch the Model 3 and suddenly that took us over. They identified this around april 10th, so they clearly failed to report the sales to the DOR by the 5th as required.

The FOIA is in .MSG format so if anyone has a good way to convert to .PDF or something, that would be helpful.

I took one quick glance, and it appears the reason the numbers jumped suddenly was that they had failed to count the Model 3 at all. They updated their script to catch the Model 3 and suddenly that took us over. They identified this around april 10th, so they clearly failed to report the sales to the DOR by the 5th as required.
however, in the emails, the Model 3s only account for about 100 vehicles, and even without those, they notified of 7500 in the April 4th email. so while numbers may have been corrected as late as the 10th, they did communicate over 7500 prior to the 5th.

however, in the emails, the Model 3s only account for about 100 vehicles, and even without those, they notified of 7500 in the April 4th email. so while numbers may have been corrected as late as the 10th, they did communicate over 7500 prior to the 5th.

Cool, thanks for digging in some. The next question then becomes, if the DOR knew on the 4th, why did they not update their website until the 16th when the law requires them to update it as soon as possible?

So did we actually cross the threshold earlier than April if they forgot the Model 3's?

After signing all the final documents for tomorrow's delivery this past Monday, I got updated documents today adjusting the RTA tax to 539 from the 385 that was on the earlier versions. When I sent my ISA an email asking about this, he sent another version of the documents which now show the vehicle as 'Model 3 Long Range RWD' with price as 49K, which includes the PUP and LR.
Did any of you run into this issue? Has something changed on the DOL site to account for this with the introduction of new AWD and performance models?

upload_2018-6-28_22-28-37.png

After signing all the final documents for tomorrow's delivery this past Monday, I got updated documents today adjusting the RTA tax to 539 from the 385 that was on the earlier versions. When I sent my ISA an email asking about this, he sent another version of the documents which now show the vehicle as 'Model 3 Long Range RWD' with price as 49K, which includes the PUP and LR.
Did any of you run into this issue? Has something changed on the DOL site to account for this with the introduction of new AWD and performance models?

View attachment 313177
Hmm, I wonder if they changed it. I got my M3 in May and paid like $600+ for the RTA tax but just got a check back from Tesla for the difference to bring it down to the $385.

I called my delivery adviser today and he said he confirmed with the relevant department before increasing this from 385 in the revised PSA. And then sent me the window sticker which shows the price of the vehicle against "Long Range Rear Wheel Drive" as 49K. Looks like they've updated it.

View attachment 313177
Even if they decided to make "Long Range RWD" a separate item, that table still looks wrong, because
premium Interior is a separate $5k, and its listed down below as "zero cost" !

Uh oh, paging gearchruncher, Foxhound199 :(
Ugh why is Tesla keep flip flopping on this.
I actually think LR RWD should be considered its own model. This is consistent with their estimate for other vehicles, including the Model S and X. The PUP, however, shouldn't be included, so I'd be happy if they used $44k for the LR RWD model. Then again, it's a hard point to argue given that a lower priced Model 3 simply does not exist yet.

Quick question, I've configured my AWD Model 3 but won't be taking delivery until later this year.

I don't live in the Seattle area, I'm over on the East side of the state. Would I be correct in my belief that I shouldn't be charged the RTA tax since it's based on where the vehicle is registered not delivered?

Thanks.

Quick question, I've configured my AWD Model 3 but won't be taking delivery until later this year.

I don't live in the Seattle area, I'm over on the East side of the state. Would I be correct in my belief that I shouldn't be charged the RTA tax since it's based on where the vehicle is registered not delivered?

Thanks.
Yes. Just moved to Tacoma area and my understanding is that your registration address has to be within a mile of RTA service area for the extra tax to apply.

• Informative
Reactions: setheryb