Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle Snohomish Nema 14-50 installation cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a quote from the recommended Electrician from Tesla's site - Switch Electric - and it came out a lot higher than I was expecting (based on casual conversations with folks who didn't use this company) - can you guys tell me if $638 is about right for the cost to install this outlet? The guy said it would be a 1-2 hr job since we have exposed walls, it's a 40' cable up to the attic and back down to our center poll/console... what are folks paying for this kind of installation in WA?

Thanks in advance - I take delivery tomorrow morning... it's going to be a long night!!

Well...it will have to be minimum 3-6 gauge cable. Don't think it can be done in 1 hour at all. Most area electricians charge $80-90 an hour at a minimum with a portal to portal rate. Then add the 14-50, breaker...I would say if his license is clear, it is a fair price. Never hire a Washington State contractor without checking current license information, Worker's Comp, Washington Department of Revenue, accompanying insurance, bond and past judgments. Here is the link...just type in Switch Electric and up pops the information. https://secure.lni.wa.gov/verify/

The company has five "violations" totaling $8,250...all are "satisfied" which means they have ultimately complied or rectified infractions.

Compare them with Wyatt Electric in Granite Falls...just a few miles away. No complaints, infractions, etc. I just had them install two 17 kw propane generators and run an underground 100 amp service to a well pump house.

Bottom line: NEVER LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS OR ADVERTIZES THAT THEY ARE "LICENSED BONDED AND INSURED". Just check them out on line. In fact it is a $250 fine for using that phrase on any form of advertising according to RCW 18.010 because "the law requires that you be". So any advertisement can only list the contractor license number which you can check. Admittedly, the Dept of Labor and Industries does not vigorously enforce this, but many a handyman has said it because he had a business license and insurance on his vehicle.... I am not exaggerating. 21 years ago the Bellevue office of L&I did a "sting" on a single category and found about 25% did not have registration and accompanying insurance and bonding. The department manager told staff to back off as it was overwhelming them. This is an example of someone not allowing staff to do their job. Hope this all helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite frankly as I sit here, I have been a Washington State contractor since 1979, completed over 37,000 jobs and never had an infraction. I am questioning the vetting system the local Tesla office is either doing or not doing. We verify, interview and check all companies which operate as subs for us. Switch would not make it to first base. Just to clarify...I am not an electrical contractor or looking for business nor am I soliciting directly or indirectly for Wyatt!!!

wow - that is shocking, from the reviews on yelp and the whole Angie's List backing, I thought Switch was an A+ company to use... I guess they did rectify their errors, so they probably aren't that bad either. I will check out Wyatt as well though - thanks for the tip!

Btw, thanks for the link - I read about their infractions... at least it wasn't that they did shoddy work, they did just that they didn't get the permits/inspections as they should have - I'm guessing they probably aren't alone in that offense.

At least now I have a couple of other places to compare their quote against - thanks again!

Last edited:
My take is that it's a bit expensive.

40' of 6/3 NM cable is about $80 retail (let's assume his profit is difference wholesale vs. retail)
Receptacle $10
Breaker $15
Protection sleeves, connectors, boxes, cover $20
2 hours labor @ $80-90 ea.
(EDIT: added) Permitting / inspection charges ~$50-80

I generally tell people to expect $400ish for a NEMA 14-50 install at ~50 ft.

Well thanks for the recommendation - i got back up quotes from Wyatt (waiting on another) and Wyatt is telling me that if the outlet is only 10' from the panel (which I could do... wasn't planning on that, but that would still work) he has a flat fee of 350 - which is awesome compared to the original 683!! My last question to him was if that included getting the permits/inspection that Switch included (was only $60 of that 683 quote... and included a tax mark up, which someone else posted should be tax free)

Anyway - if anyone else needs this info, i thought the 350 flat rate was a great deal!

Well thanks for the recommendation - i got back up quotes from Wyatt (waiting on another) and Wyatt is telling me that if the outlet is only 10' from the panel (which I could do... wasn't planning on that, but that would still work) he has a flat fee of 350 - which is awesome compared to the original 683!! My last question to him was if that included getting the permits/inspection that Switch included (was only $60 of that 683 quote... and included a tax mark up, which someone else posted should be tax free)

Anyway - if anyone else needs this info, i thought the 350 flat rate was a great deal!

Glad you found a solution. The "10 feet from the panel" comment is "as the wire travels", not physically, so if you have to go up to the ceiling and down again, it'll be longer than 10'. But he's likely to know better ways of going through walls, etc.

I think the quote is probably pretty reasonable. I paid about that in Pierce County for ~50 foot run through PVC conduit up a wall, across the ceiling, and down a pole. That did include permits. It was definitely more than an hour's work with two guys working on it.

Last edited:
I think the quote is reasonable. I paid about the same amount for a 100A circuit going to an HPWC right next to the breaker.

I went with Seahurst electric because that's who Tesla recommended.

I barely researched it though, but they did a great job. They took care of everything, showed up on time and did a great install job. Then half a month later or so they finally got around to billing me for it.