Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle to Whistler in Single Charge? (Winter+Heat)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ski bum who is living in Greater Seattle Area :)
Actually, I was waiting for Model 3 but as many of you knows, dual motor M3 might not available next ski season (2017-18) So I'm considering to jump MS.

But when I calculated 75D's driving range, it's one the fence. According to Tesla's calculator in their homepage, 75D will be able to drive 233 mile with single charge, (heat + 65mph) while distance between Seattle to Whistler is 220 mile.

But I'm not sure 75D is enough to go Whistler without charging. There will be ski/snowboard gears(which is heavy), more passengers, icy road condition, and a lot of hills on the BC-99.

Has anyone did it in a single charge? I just want to be there as fast as possible. :)

- Generally 2 people (incl. driver) but up to 4 people
- Own ski/snowboard gears
- I'll definitely add Winter Package on the car

Maybe you could do it, but why? You need to get in the spirit of how Tesla travel works. Are you going to drive for 4+ hours with no bio breaks, no food stops, nothing? Just plan your breaks for Burlington and/or Squamish, plug the car in at the Supercharger and take care of business. By the time you get back, the car is charged enough to reach Whistler.

Be very aware that if that ski gear has to go on a roof rack, the rack and a couple of pairs of skis will decrease your range by about 15%.

Agreed. Plan on making the stop for an intermediate charge. Far more civilized way to travel. Driving a Tesla instead of an ICE changed my driving pattern and has led to more pleasant travel. A little longer, but far more rested when I get there.

You won't make it in a 75D in winter, and probably not in summer either, even going the speed limit unless you stop at Squamish. The climb into Whistler will prohibit even me from making it in a single charge safely.

Use the EV trip planner to see what I mean: EV Trip Planner

My P90D is barely making it to the Squamish charger in typical winter conditions. It's better to drive faster, get to the supercharger 20 minutes earlier, and charge for 20 minutes than to drive at or below the speed limit the whole way there. Also, there are often north winds that will make this even worse on the uphill leg.

• Helpful
Reactions: modamoda
Thanks you guys for all comments. Maybe I thought too ICE-ish way and too hurry.
The problem was.. I generally go Whistler with my friends who has PHEV. And we both are very obsessed to snow, so we generally go there by one shot with each of our cars.
well.. maybe I need to treat him Starbucks coffee at Squamish supercharger while charging my future car :p

My P90D is barely making it to the Squamish charger in typical winter conditions
Thanks for sharing your experience. That's what I exactly wanted, though the result was not I expected.

Be very aware that if that ski gear has to go on a roof rack, the rack and a couple of pairs of skis will decrease your range by about 15%.
Good point. I didn't think about that. I prefer to load my gears inside tho.

There is a Starbucks literally 15 steps from the chargers
How did you know me? I'm Starbucks lover :p