Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second hand teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. It's essentially scalping, and only $hitty people do that.

I have no affiliation or reason to defend them but I think that is probably a bit harsh?

I would define scalping as buying up something that is is in limited supply (eg concert tickets) and then selling them on at over inflated prices to desperate people that couldn't get the item because they sold out in ten minutes.

In this case anyone can order the car, they just have to be patient. For those that lack the patience and must have the latest shiny thing now (or should that be NOW?) they can choose to pay a premium because someone else took the trouble to place an order?

I have no affiliation or reason to defend them but I think that is probably a bit harsh?

I would define scalping as buying up something that is is in limited supply (eg concert tickets) and then selling them on at over inflated prices to desperate people that couldn't get the item because they sold out in ten minutes.

In this case anyone can order the car, they just have to be patient. For those that lack the patience and must have the latest shiny thing now (or should that be NOW?) they can choose to pay a premium because someone else took the trouble to place an order?

I agree. Scalping is unethical, but this is not scalping. At the end of the day this is free market capitalism at work. Anything is worth what people are prepared to pay for it.

TesAus: I would agree, but by buying Telsas to sell at an inflated price, they're pushing back everyone else's order. I don't think that's fair. Tesla already cannot supply the demand. If you want to buy one to use, buy one. Don't become a reseller (and middle man) at everyone who legitimately wants one's expense.
I'm not saying it's illegal, and yes if everyone started doing this, then they'd (eventually) flood the market and have to bring the price down, but we'd have a crappy situation until then.

TesAus: I would agree, but by buying Telsas to sell at an inflated price, they're pushing back everyone else's order. I don't think that's fair. Tesla already cannot supply the demand. If you want to buy one to use, buy one. Don't become a reseller (and middle man) at everyone who legitimately wants one's expense.
I'm not saying it's illegal, and yes if everyone started doing this, then they'd (eventually) flood the market and have to bring the price down, but we'd have a crappy situation until then.
Not really. If they are going to buy one than its only a timing issue, so over a period it makes no difference to tesla timing. Indeed this is a good situation for tesla as it brings the inevitable sale forward. The chap that does this seems to only do one at a time, it's not like he has a yard full of them.