Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security of Phone/Card/Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U mean connect,uwb uses proximity to unlock car. It just does not time out and disconnect. U have to be within a meter for it to unlock. You can still unlocked car from a far greater distance using the app features like valet mode.
I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. If you have a 2024 Model 3 with UWB (that's the only model that support it) then the signal has been designed to be resistant against relay and has more accurate ranging.

If you use the Tesla Keyfob device then it only support Bluetooth, just like older Model 3s and all Model Y. As I said this has motion detection for the key, and also in the phone app, which makes a relay attack less likely, particularly when you are asleep.

Tesla do a good job on security, multiple layers of controls that make it not worth car thieves trying, indicated by the very low theft figures.

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. If you have a 2024 Model 3 with UWB (that's the only model that support it) then the signal has been designed to be resistant against relay and has more accurate ranging.

If you use the Tesla Keyfob device then it only support Bluetooth, just like older Model 3s and all Model Y. As I said this has motion detection for the key, and also in the phone app, which makes a relay attack less likely, particularly when you are asleep.

Tesla do a good job on security, multiple layers of controls that make it not worth car thieves trying, indicated by the very low theft figures.
Bluetooth relay attack has only been demonstrated by having one thief within a few cm of your phone and the other within a few cm of the vehicle.
This is virtually impossible to achieve in the wild.

Key fobs blue tooth ? That’s new cause I assume key fobs are nfc or rfid.

Everyone that has an app update and an iPhone 11 or above has ultra wide band. It’s not dependent on motion what-so-ever.
Well no that's not quite right. They would have a phone that supports UWB, they would have an App that supports UWB but they might not have a Tesla car that supports UWB. More of them don't support it than do, especially seeing as no Model Y does and that's their best seller.

Key fobs blue tooth ? That’s new cause I assume key fobs are nfc or rfid.
RFID and NFC are short distance. Fobs are powered and have a transmitter.

Not sure what they all use now, but early model S (through around 2018) are propriiorty wireless. Model X was bluetooth fobs from the start. Again, no idea after 2018-ish or the 3 or Y.

At some point they did introduce the fobs that have motion detection in them and turn off when sedentary. Not sure when that happed for the various models either.

Relay attack in the wild. This is a Model S, 5 years ago, so YMMV...
That's and old key fob model though. You'd not steal a newer Tesla like a Model 3 / Y so easily like that as long as you aren't using one of the optional physical keys.

I believe the Tesla app uses the motion sensor in the phone so if it's not moved for a bit the key won't work. Also most thieves aren't trying to amplify bluetooth which isn't what most other cars use.

Turn on pin to drive though regardless.

That's and old key fob model though. You'd not steal a newer Tesla like a Model 3 / Y so easily like that as long as you aren't using one of the optional physical keys.

I believe the Tesla app uses the motion sensor in the phone so if it's not moved for a bit the key won't work. Also most thieves aren't trying to amplify bluetooth which isn't what most other cars use.

Turn on pin to drive though regardless.
Or faraday bag for yr fob