Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: The value of AAA membership with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am due for AAA renewal and I am not fully aware of Tesla's Roadside Assistance program. Do they cover towing if it becomes necessary? Any information would be appreciated. The $51 is no biggie but I hate to waste money on something I will never use.

Thank you!!

Towing
For vehicles that are not drivable due to a vehicle malfunction attributable to a warrantable issue, transportation services are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km)* to the nearest Tesla Service Center. If the malfunction is determined to not be covered by the New or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty, you will be charged for the towing costs on the repair order. You are also responsible for transportation costs beyond 50 miles (80) km or any additional transportation from such locations to any other location.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED?
Tesla Roadside Assistance is intended to minimize inconvenience should your vehicle become inoperable. However, Roadside Assistance may not be provided in certain circumstances, including: • Hazardous conditions (including due to acts of God or environmental conditions) o In conflict zones or regions, or in areas which are not in control of local authorities • Accidents, collisions, objects striking the vehicle, damage caused by road fixtures • Depletion of high voltage battery; including but not limited to having the proper charging equipment • Driving the vehicle off-road, or over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces • Racing or autocross • Extraction due to being stuck in mud, snow, sand or other soft surfaces • Vehicle abuse or negligence • Vandalism • Installing and removing snow chains • Broken window repair or replacement • Vehicles being demonstrated or delivered by motor trades, used under trade plates or export plates • Fines, fees, damages or taxes associated with impound or other towing as a result of actual or alleged violation of any laws or regulations • Onward transportation of animals or livestock • If the vehicle, in our reasonable opinion, is loaded beyond its capacity • Storage charges before assistance is given • Long distance transportation of caravans, trailers or objects like bike racks or cargo boxes • Transportation of the vehicle or driver when the Tesla Mobile App is out of service and the vehicle’s key fob is not present • Costs associated with ferry crossings, toll roads, congestion charges, special VAT regulations or custom procedures • Any other exclusions or limitations described in the New or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty

I'm also thinking about not using AAA with my car since they are at a premium. I may go with Geico.

To me the towing is what really matters. I have not used TRA but have with AAA. As long as you have a valid membership, they will tow without charge regardless of the condition of your car. You say tow, they say where?

But with the TRA, it depends on the condition of the car and if its under warranty. If you're out in the middle of nowhere and need assistance, and it happens to not be covered (who knows how warranty works for the situation you're in), you're paying for the tow.

To me it is the unsureness of where I am with the car needing a tow that I went with AAA.

We have been long time members of AAA but the Northern California region. We have their Plus membership, which runs $91 per year, mainly because it gives you 100 miles of Free Towing. The free fuel and delivery (unless they will start doing some electrical power charging system) really is moot now since as of 9/2018 we are an all BEV family now. Of course I suppose we could get stuck with an ICE rental car and still make use of it. Also don't think the $100 locksmith reimbursement will do us much good. So for us mainly it's just the extra 50 miles of free towing than Tesla's Roadside Assistance provides. I can see getting a flat and needing it towed more than 50 miles to the location you need the car to be at, or having some other issue requiring towing, so it's a bit of peace of mind. Others might find it a benefit to not have to hand over cash or putting it on a charge card on the spot. We also have used the AAA hotel discounts and other benefits on occasion, so we try to make the membership cost work out to our benefit. When we had our Toyota the local shop we had it serviced at gave us a AAA discount. In our experience when we did have a flat or my car needed a tow, we found the AAA membership was fairly quick in dispensing a local affiliated towing company to us. I have used them in the past for a DMV issue. Not sure what the deal is with the free Hertz Gold Plus rewards membership as we haven't flown much in the past few years. We also get up to $750 in standard trip interruption and up to $250 in standard lost baggage coverage.

BTW the Northern Calif AAA Classic membership for $56 only gives you a ridiculous 5 miles of Free Towing. That's like hoping your car breaks down or has a flat down the street from the service center. It still includes free fuel and only $50 towards locksmith. Not sure what the benefits are for a Southern Calif AAA membership at that level so double check in case they are less than what you think they are or have been in the past.

With all-electric cars starting to make a push with the buying public, it will be interesting to see how companies like AAA change their membership benefits to more match the changing landscape so they stay relevant. For now we have renewed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and N5329K
I am due for AAA renewal and I am not fully aware of Tesla's Roadside Assistance program. Do they cover towing if it becomes necessary? Any information would be appreciated. The $51 is no biggie but I hate to waste money on something I will never use.

Thank you!!
We had AAA and they will not tow a Tesla. You may want to check with them now to see if their policies have changed. Hope that helps

Can you even have AAA insurance coverage without their membership? At least in my region, AAA will NOT provide coverage without being a member, though it can be a family membership under someone else to make it slightly cheaper.

Use AAA for the DMV service.

And roadside assistance for other cars like Toyota where they will only tow you to the nearest dealer. Not to anywhere I like.

Just a few months ago got a flat and wanted it towed to the tire shop. I don’t think manufacture roadside assistance will tow you to any tire shop you wish.

The last two or three instances where I needed to call for a AAA tow, they've provided a flat bed truck. This was for a BMW 3-series and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I guess I'll call or visit the nearby AAA office and ask them their policy on Tesla Model 3.

I had AAA for more than 20 years.
I even had the long distance extra towing coverage.
One day I get stranded in on a highway.
When I called AAA the dispatcher asked th zip code of my location.
Well I had only a flip phone and no map.
So I explained my location.
But the dispatcher told me that she needed the zipcode.
After making circles for a while、
I decided to call my car insurrance.
Then I immediatly get a tow truck.
I called AAA and sent complain letters.
I never received any follow up.
I never renewed my membership either.

I used AAA once for what would have been a very expensive tow. A tire blew out in the desert of Utah. They got me on a flat bed and towed me 100 miles. I called tow companies myself to check the prices. It would have been between $400 and $500.

I haven’t had AAA coverage for years,
but I do recall I had a need of tow and
my membership had expired, just calling
allowed me to renew/start a new membership.

perhaps a call to see how expired memberships
are handled, if one could renew via phone
and initiate service after phone renewal?

I had AAA for more than 20 years.
I even had the long distance extra towing coverage.
One day I get stranded in on a highway.
When I called AAA the dispatcher asked th zip code of my location.
Well I had only a flip phone and no map.
So I explained my location.
But the dispatcher told me that she needed the zipcode.
After making circles for a while、
I decided to call my car insurrance.
Then I immediatly get a tow truck.
I called AAA and sent complain letters.
I never received any follow up.
I never renewed my membership either.

That sounds like the dispatcher issue. This is s classic case of HUCA. hang up, call again

• Love
Reactions: SMAlset