Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking ideas for dampening wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another data point: I rented a Model 3 this weekend and definitely noticed above average wind noise. It also seemed like it was coming from the left side around the A pillar. It became noticeable above 50 mph.

The overall cabin is certainly quieter than my Prius, but the subtle flutter of wind was constant at freeway speeds. This sound is something you'd still hear in an ICE vehicle. I don't believe an engine would mask the sound.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I did my first test drive in a 3 today and the first thing I noticed coming from an S was the wind noise. To me it sounded like it was coming from the front of the roof. It was definitely loud enough to be annoying once above about 30mph. I also noticed the increased tire/road noise compared to the S. I really liked the handling and while I didn't get to test it on any rough roads, the ride seemed fine to me. I don't like the way the screen is partially obscured by the steering wheel and it seemed difficult to me to make adjustments while driving and somewhat dangerous. I am also spoiled by the rear camera being always visible along with whatever else I chose on the large monitor. Almost anything that you need to control while driving needs to be on a physical device that can be controlled by touch. Touch screen controls are better limited to passenger use or use while parked. Otherwise, it is no different than playing with an iPad while driving and we all know how dangerous that can be. The rear view camera is awful compared to the S. I would be tempted to try and replace it with an S camera and see if it worked. The wide angle lens is too wide and too much of a fisheye distorting everything and making judging distance difficult. The back up camera for the S can be purchased on Amazon for $39 so it shouldn't be cost keeping it from being used. I do wish the steering and turning radius of the S was as good. That is one area the 3 is much better. They should offer the quicker steering rack for the S. All in all I think it is a very good car that will get better once Tesla can focus on improving the things folks are complaining about. While I could configure today, I am going to hold off and wait to see what the AWD version is like and what improvements they make. The QC needs to get a bit better.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
When I did a U turn it took noticeably less of the street. There are many times I do one in my S where it barely will make it. I too read that they were supposed to be near identical but that is not what I saw today.

So, this is an interesting one. The Model Ses turning radius is 37 feet vs. the Model 3s 38.1 feet, so the Model 3 is actually WORSE "technically". I assume, these tests are done by cranking the wheel hard right or left until it stops while stationary, and then making a circle.

In "real life" however, folks don't generally do that, they turn the wheel something "less" than full lock before they begin their turn. This is where the steering ratio comes into play. The Model S' ratio is 13.0:1 vs the 10.3:1 of the Model 3. You can see this in the number of turns of the wheel it takes moving the wheel from full left to full right: 2.3 turns in the Model S vs. 2.0 turns in the Model 3.

In short, you may get "more turn" of the car for a given amount of steering wheel "turn" in the Model 3 for most situations, but in a "maximum lock" situation the Model S wins slightly. I would assume an inch or two of the Model Ses win there is lost to its overall width, but I hope no one is cutting it that close!

Wheel base length, overhang and overall length are probably what effects the perception and maybe the reality. In a U-Turn as you approach the opposite curb it is difficult to judge whether you will clear it in the S or whether you will scrape the nose over the curb or rub a rim on the curb where due to the difference in overhang and visibility you can see that you are safely clearing the curb and this makes it feel like a smaller turning circle.

Back to the original topic of this thread, has anyone found a solution to the wind noise? Is it only on some vehicles or all of them? Anyone found a fix? For me, I found the road noise to be greater than the S but tolerable; however, the wind noise is just too much for a car that would otherwise be reasonably quiet. I think the fact that it is higher in frequency contributes to the irritation factor despite what the actual DB level is.

Reactions: navguy12
Back to the original topic of this thread, has anyone found a solution to the wind noise? Is it only on some vehicles or all of them? Anyone found a fix? For me, I found the road noise to be greater than the S but tolerable; however, the wind noise is just too much for a car that would otherwise be reasonably quiet. I think the fact that it is higher in frequency contributes to the irritation factor despite what the actual DB level is.
Have you brought the car to Tesla to diagnose? I read in another wind/road noise thread (there are a number of these threads out there) that service centers can run tests to determine if there are any bad seals.

IMO, road noise is mostly attributed to tires and can often be resolved or mitigated by better tires... however, there is no excuse for wind noise caused by bad seals... that's just poor quality control.

I also rented a Model 3 yesterday and it was one of the first made, as the fellow works at Tesla Fremont. I drove it a lot during the day and more in the evening, and by night's end my ears started to physically hurt from the constant low end road noise and wind noise. I told the guy about it when I returned the car and he said every Model 3 after Dec 27th was made with a tweak on the suspension to mellow it out a bit more. He also has the 19" sport rims.

I then drove one that was made on Dec 28th, strangely enough, today, and it was definitely better for road noise, and the wind noise wasn't really an issue. However, in both vehicles, I felt the need to turn up the stereo louder than I would have liked to cut through the constant low end of the road noise seeping into the cabin. It's stopped me temporarily on buying a Model 3 and looking at used Model S's. Though I haven't tried driving an M3 with the 18" wheels yet.

Damn, because I love damn near everything else about the car. :^/

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I also rented a Model 3 yesterday and it was one of the first made, as the fellow works at Tesla Fremont. I drove it a lot during the day and more in the evening, and by night's end my ears started to physically hurt from the constant low end road noise and wind noise. I told the guy about it when I returned the car and he said every Model 3 after Dec 27th was made with a tweak on the suspension to mellow it out a bit more. He also has the 19" sport rims.

I then drove one that was made on Dec 28th, strangely enough, today, and it was definitely better for road noise, and the wind noise wasn't really an issue. However, in both vehicles, I felt the need to turn up the stereo louder than I would have liked to cut through the constant low end of the road noise seeping into the cabin. It's stopped me temporarily on buying a Model 3 and looking at used Model S's. Though I haven't tried driving an M3 with the 18" wheels yet.

Damn, because I love damn near everything else about the car. :^/
I have both cars and have the wind noise but never notice it when the stereo is mid level. The MS is definitely more quiet but the M3 is much more fun to drive! I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker!

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Well, as much as I wanted to go with the Model 3, I went a different way than I expected. My wife and I just came home with a brand new Model S 75D from Fremont yesterday. One of 3 production models that were available immediately. Just a few weeks old at most with the new display update. Couldn't resist after driving the 2018 S. Cheers!
Well you definitely won't be disappointed! I had the M3 on order then drove the MS and fell in love with the car... problem was wife liked also so we bought the 3 for her and she loves it.Check out RPM Tesla online they have some cool stuff on there. Congrats on your new baby:D