Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self drive playtime 24.6.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I used to find that in self-drive on local A roads (just for short playtime when quiet) it wouldn't slow for bends if set above 40mph. Classically on my local twisty roads it'd barrel up to a tight corner at national speed limit 60mph , bleep as it got to the apex and leave me to sort it. A game I'd only play if feeling really alert and fast reflexed with no other traffic about.

Today I tried it at 50, 55, and 60mph on some not too daunting bends and each time the car braked and slowed well before the bend started - indeed it took them way slower than necessary. On combination bends it trawled through a very windy section at 22mph and suprisingly even crossed the white line at the apex to shallow the curve - which wouldn't be so good with oncoming traffic on a blind bend if the other guy is a yahoo in a 3-series.

On one really tight corner 270degrees as tight as a small roundabout it correctly slowed down from 60mph on approach - earlier than i would have done driving conservatively - and made it round but bleeped as it completed the bend because there was an opposite hander ahead. It displayed 'self drive limited' but didn't drop out.

It's a marked improvement from the safety point of view but would pi$$ off any following driver with sharper than necessary braking well before the corner and too slow round them.

Reactions: roadcred
I used to find that in self-drive on local A roads (just for short playtime when quiet) it wouldn't slow for bends if set above 40mph. Classically on my local twisty roads it'd barrel up to a tight corner at national speed limit 60mph , bleep as it got to the apex and leave me to sort it. A game I'd only play if feeling really alert and fast reflexed with no other traffic about.

Today I tried it at 50, 55, and 60mph on some not too daunting bends and each time the car braked and slowed well before the bend started - indeed it took them way slower than necessary. On combination bends it trawled through a very windy section at 22mph and suprisingly even crossed the white line at the apex to shallow the curve - which wouldn't be so good with oncoming traffic on a blind bend if the other guy is a yahoo in a 3-series.

On one really tight corner 270degrees as tight as a small roundabout it correctly slowed down from 60mph on approach - earlier than i would have done driving conservatively - and made it round but bleeped as it completed the bend because there was an opposite hander ahead. It displayed 'self drive limited' but didn't drop out.

It's a marked improvement from the safety point of view but would pi$$ off any following driver with sharper than necessary braking well before the corner and too slow round them.

Matches my experience with MS R.

Clings to centre of the lane, but does slow (too) early and take bends slower than any reasonable driver.

Reassuring though that the slowing ahead of bends us possible.

I'm not sure how to respond to the SelfDrive Limited message. Not sure what it's really trying to tell me!