Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-driving cars UK Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The USA has all the functionality of FSD beta, with training data from US road driving. The UK FSD is non-existent, except summon, when it decides to work.
You see it's statements like this "The UK FSD is non-existent" which confuse me. Only a few weeks ago I drove from the South of England to Silverstone (Midlands), around 100 miles mostly on autopilot with my Model Y's version of autopilot engaged. Which from what I can tell appears to be a mixture of FSD (Full Self-Driving Capability) EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) and BA (Basic Autopilot).

However, I understand there's been no training or atleast no update using training from driving on UK (and European) roads. I've read there is potential for a larger global release this year.

You see it's statements like this "The UK FSD is non-existent" which confuse me. Only a few weeks ago I drove from the South of England to Silverstone (Midlands), around 100 miles mostly on autopilot with my Model Y's version of autopilot engaged. Which from what I can tell appears to be a mixture of FSD (Full Self-Driving Capability) EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) and BA (Basic Autopilot).

However, I understand there's been no training or atleast no update using training from driving on UK (and European) roads. I've read there is potential for a larger global release this year.
Basic AP doesn’t change lanes or take off ramps. It’s just lane keep and smart cruise for dual carriageways and motorways
lane change doesn’t even work in all areas
EAP & FSD just have extra features that don’t work consistently or as expected!

from what I can tell appears to be a mixture of FSD (Full Self-Driving Capability) EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) and BA (Basic Autopilot).
In the US, you’d be able to tell when FSD was in operation, vs EAP. I’ve got FSD and in the UK, my feeling is that EAP is the bit the car does and Full Self-Driving capability is the bit that I do.

I’m hoping that new government paper this week is indicating that the law will catch up and allow Tesla to unlock FSD for UK drivers. I’m not hopeful though.

Government paper

Did everyone see that crash of a Range Rover going through Tesla Park Royal and onto the Tube tracks a couple of days ago killing a woman and almost killing an Uber driver recharging his Model 3 at 4am? So many deaths are caused by avoidable human stupidity. Apparently the car was going over 100MPH in a 50 zone.

As well as working to develop FSD, Tesla is also working on making cars that are impossible to crash: it's essentially the same tech. It would have saved this life.

I am spellbound by how much progress Tesla has made in the last year. I cannot wait until we have FSD Beta in the UK. From personal experience I briefly dozed off in slow moving traffic on the M25 mid-afternoon (I had a poor night's sleep the night before) and Autopilot kept me in my lane and bleeped at me (and banned me from Autopilot for the rest of the trip!)

All these efforts Tesla is making to develop FSD are necessary to achieve the goal of full autonomy as soon as possible.

I think perhaps there is a bigger note you missed, which is if you purchase it now you'll have it at a huge discount versus when it's more established.
Indeed, $15K in the US now vs £6K in the UK. That's a big difference.

I had FSD on my first Model 3, back then EAP wasn't an option but it cost about the same anyway. When getting a new Model 3 simple logic was that paying twice as much for no other existing features made no sense.

Neither EAP or FSD really seem to have terms that define what features they will gain in the future, it's really left to us to interpret. When Tesla support the new motorway self driving option will that be EAP or FSD, I think I could argue that both ways. It's clear EAP will never offer 'City Streets' but anything very unclear.

FSD doesn't functionally exist outside of the US, so you were likely using EAP. FSD's main differentiator is that it can drive autonomously through city streets, which you can't outside of the US.

There's absolutely no chance of a global release this year either.

Last edited:
Reactions: roadcred
My EAP changes lane….

...when it decides you can and you decide to indicate to initiative it, something that lots of other systems also do.

The question is, would you prefer the car to stay in lane on the motorway but you can do something else while its driving on level 3 or above, or it changes lane for you but you have to double check every action it takes and be ready to step in at a moments notice? For me, it doesn't matter how good the Tesla system gets at driving down the motorway if you still have to babysit it. As a result I fundementally disagree with the Tesla roadmap of increasing function count (unprotected turns across traffic for instance) without actually finishing any of them to a point of reliability that they might be trusted

Reactions: Beady3647
You can't make cars impossible to crash. The range rover was some yahoo doing 120mph to impress his girlfriend.. pure physics meant it was going through that barrier.

Try to make a car that won't exceed the speed limit even if you floor it and see how well it sells..

Isn't that the point of FSD, stop humans from driving. If you really care about road safety FSD (or any form of autonomy) is vital.

I watched not one, but two buses run red lights today the way to work when on my pedal bike.......Even AP currently doesn't let you go over 30/40mph limit unless you force it.

Personally I wait for true autonomy to arrive.

And of course not even tesla would override the pedal.

But that should be the aim of true FSD. Stop humans from operating death traps, what else would call a 2-3ton bit of metal that can go at 60mph+ within seconds operating often just inches away from pedestrians, kids etc. To top it off these machines are all controlled by a easily distractable, emotionally driven humans??

If FSD really works, never brakes the speed limit, is always cautious, insurance companies will quickly move the point where if you choose to drive manually and have a crash, the consequences/costs will reflect that.

Clearly we are years away from that, but from the road safety point of view I cannot see why any one woudlnt want true autonomous cars to arrive ASAP.

Isn't that the point of FSD, stop humans from driving. If you really care about road safety FSD (or any form of autonomy) is vital.

I watched not one, but two buses run red lights today the way to work when on my pedal bike.......Even AP currently doesn't let you go over 30/40mph limit unless you force it.

Personally I wait for true autonomy to arrive.
That's not been my experience. I was happily using AP this morning at 60.

I've push AP to 90 experimentally (empty road during lockdown, so not much risk).. it lets you go at any speed. And of course not even tesla would override the pedal.
Your car already has the facility to set a hard limit. We just choose not to ... except perhaps when allowing a recently qualified teenager to drive it ... if you could ever afford the insurance for that ...

Mate, it struggles to even work out what the speed limit is so how can it never break it? It’s only a month or so ago it didn’t read limits on the motorway so it would happily do 70 in a 50 zone
I have seen it only pay attention to signs on the left of the road not the right, so on dual carriageway if you pass the sign and a lorry is in the way it ignore the 40 for roundabout for example and still say 60, could be fun with FSD trying to do at 60 - how is it at drifting ?