Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Straightening Steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it not the pressure from the “steering rack” being dissipated and natural forces taking over since he’s parked on uneven ground?

In the comments there's a reply from Fully Charged to someone asking and it looks like it is actually "a thing". (I had wondered if Robert was releasing pressure on the steering wheel as he got out.)

I think you are right, it is just Robert getting out of the car. It does remind me of of the story of when an electric steering column was added to the Range Rover and within a year they were experiencing quite a high failure rate. Land Rover didn’t understand why as they hadn’t experienced this in testing and couldn’t reproduce the problem. It was only when they figured out that a lot of drivers used the steering wheel to get in and out of, what is, a relatively high car, that the penny dropped and the wheel was altered to allow for a higher load. On the subject of the revised model 3 it does look like Tesla has tried to address some of the issues, such as the easy scratch centre console.

Its parked downhill on a camber. The front offside wheel is bearing more weight than the others. The weight is bearing down through the linkages and the caster angle, so the wheel might move slightly if it is not pointing straight ahead. Plus he's getting out so there is a weight change going on.
It's just the steering system settling into equilibrium.