Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell my 2018 to buy 2020? Am I crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a AWD Model 3 non P in Nov 2018 for about $68,800 including taxes. I got all the options EAP, etc.

I’be been thinking whether it makes sense to sell this car and buy Performance M3.

If I can sell my car for $45k, would it be worth it? Or is it financial suicide lol

How much is the performance M3 loaded, $70k?

2. The wheel gap on my M3 is huge, 5 finger gap. Ugly

56865b029225d763841582df332c6376.jpg

1. The stock suspension on my M3 is terrible, handling sucks.

2. The wheel gap on my M3 is huge, 5 finger gap. Ugly

3. Better Brakes

4. Faster!

Nothing that I NEED, just wants

If i was in your shoes i'd go a different route

1 + 2 - upgrade to a coilover setup from mpp or up, get the UP sway bars too
3 - upgrade to the MPP big brake kit.
4 - upgrade wheels tires to fit big brake kit
5 - buy the 2k performance boost.

even after doing all these things and having them installed, it would still be cheaper than trading in your car for a 2020 P3D+.

I sold my the LR q1 AWD and got a Q4 performance (yesterday). There are several changes which make a big difference: noise isolation, build quality, material softness.
Aside from the performance additions I really like the changes, it makes a big difference (imo).
Financially it's just plain stupid, so there is no other rationale than "would I love the changes?". If the answer is yes, and money isn't and issue, then go for it.

I sold my the LR q1 AWD and got a Q4 performance (yesterday). There are several changes which make a big difference: noise isolation, build quality, material softness.
Aside from the performance additions I really like the changes, it makes a big difference (imo).
Financially it's just plain stupid, so there is no other rationale than "would I love the changes?". If the answer is yes, and money isn't and issue, then go for it.
Are the noise isolation and build quality noticeably different in your MY2020? I have an 6/18 that has had many rattles that have had to be fixed and a fair amount of road and wind noise. I’ve heard about the cabin noise improvements but am wondering how noticeable they are.
Also, what exactly do you mean by material softness?

I bought a AWD Model 3 non P in Nov 2018 for about $68,800 including taxes. I got all the options EAP, etc.

I’be been thinking whether it makes sense to sell this car and buy Performance M3.

If I can sell my car for $45k, would it be worth it? Or is it financial suicide lol

How much is the performance M3 loaded, $70k?

I hate to be the one to have to ask this...but is there nothing else going on in your life that takes a higher priority than spending all this money to get a slightly nicer version of the same car you already own?

Like owning a home, being debt free, having a year’s worth of emergency savings, putting away at least 15% a year of your salary towards your retirement, college fund for present or future kids, etc?

I hate to be the one to have to ask this...but is there nothing else going on in your life that takes a higher priority than spending all this money to get a slightly nicer version of the same car you already own?

Like owning a home, being debt free, having a year’s worth of emergency savings, putting away at least 15% a year of your salary towards your retirement, college fund for present or future kids, etc?

Ya, u make a good point. I have to def keep this in mind

Reactions: OCR1
OP the question of your thread isnt really "should I trade in my 2018 for a 2020 model 3"... Its "Help me justify the fact I want to buy a faster version of the car I already own".

Its never financially savvy to sell a car within the first few years of ownership. Unless you have one of the specific car models that appreciate in value (collectable cars), its always a losing money proposition. Its just a question of "how much" money you will lose, and "how badly" you want it.

I am not in the "Must have 1 year of savings, fully funded retirement, etc before considering a new car" camp. I feel that there needs to be some enjoyment "during the journey" of life, not just planning for enjoyment in retirement years that, lets face it, none of us are promised.

With that being said, basic needs should be taken care of, of course, and you have to determine / decide how much money you are willing to lose on this potential transition. If it really bothers you and you have your basic needs taken care of, and its something that is really bothering you such that you are ready to lose money on it, then do it. Just do it knowing that its not "financially smart", and you will lose money.... but sometimes happiness is worth some extra money. If it wasnt, we would all be driving econo transportation boxes, because NO tesla is "basic transportation".

• Love
Reactions: preilly44
I think it would be extremely silly to swap for a 2020 given that the vehicle hasn't yet had any major updates.

Tesla constantly improves vehicle specs including battery and performance on model S and X. Model 3 will have the same. We're already hearing rumors of a 100 kwh battery.

Wait, you have your current 3 to enjoy, and in a year or two you'll have a better version to upgrade to if you want.

Reactions: house9
This is why I lease

Your not saving any money by leasing, you just have the easy out at the end of the lease term. You still pay for the depreciation, so its still pretty much the same losing money proposition. Only difference is that you can normally "tolerate" being in a leased car during the lease term, knowing you are not tied to it and have a pre planned amount of money you will spend on it.

Im not anti leasing (I leased 2 BMWs every 3 years for the past 12 years, and have a leased 2019 X3 M40 in my garage right now). I just know what it is, and what it isnt. It IS a good way to get into a new car every 3 years, if you were going to do that anyway. It ISNT a way to avoid any of the new car depreciation, etc.

Agree that a great idea would be to get the $2,000 performance boost upgrade and aftermarket lowered suspension. Would highly consider the Ohlin shocks to get something even smoother and better handling than the stock P. These shocks have adjustable ride height, so you can get exactly the gap you desire. Can also adjust them afterwards if you want to change it.

This lowering will also give you the better handling and braking feel you want...at a bargain compared to selling/buying.

Your not saving any money by leasing, you just have the easy out at the end of the lease term. You still pay for the depreciation, so its still pretty much the same losing money proposition. Only difference is that you can normally "tolerate" being in a leased car during the lease term, knowing you are not tied to it and have a pre planned amount of money you will spend on it.

Im not anti leasing (I leased 2 BMWs every 3 years for the past 12 years, and have a leased 2019 X3 M40 in my garage right now). I just know what it is, and what it isnt. It IS a good way to get into a new car every 3 years, if you were going to do that anyway. It ISNT a way to avoid any of the new car depreciation, etc.
Yup goal is to be able to upgrade to elons latest and greatest regularly. A few bucks here and there whatever.