Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care much for Soros and I don't think the market gives him as much weight as it does BRK, either. So this is good. It explains the IV spike and the outperformance today. Should calm down a bit now.
Yes, BRK’s value investor credentials would be helpful, especially if they sold BYD to buy TSLA. Buffett just doesn’t much like tech’s weird growth stock P/E dynamics 😛

Soros also bought TSLA and ARKK call options, per 13F.

Today’s spurt has given me pause about selling more CC until after 3/1. Have some to garden though…….maybe just raise the strikes since premiums are so juicy.

Last edited:
Still have 2/17 -c177.5 that I reluctantly didn't roll this morning at half of what they are now. Contemplating next week same strike but a pull back doesn't seem near. Improving the strike a few points for next week is now a debit. Decision is whether to sell same number of CC for next week to fund debit roll to improve strike on this set. Alternatively, sell a BPS for this week instead.

EDIT: Moving these to the 31st -c190 for a small debit or the strike less for credit. Just noticed no calls between the 31st of March and the 18th of April ... Fidelity is my broker.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 3.26.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Back in on the -c300 STO 45x 3/17 @$1.3

Still holding 15x -215 straddle for this week, which actually has a nice roll to the same strike with net +$7 if I want, or a freebie to -p210/-c225. Too much extrinsic though, my preferred roll moment is later on Wednesdays, we'll see...

Last edited:
Got home and checked on my CCs. The 227.5s sold for 0.2 this am are now $1.08. :eek:

Am I the only one that now thinks 230 is a possibility for Friday? :oops:

Nothing to do but watch it play out for now.... 😩
Good luck. But I'm sure you will understand when I say that I really hope you have to roll those.

As for me, I got my -c155s called away from me last week. Rather than rolling just for time and not strike price improvement, I decided to start the 'wheel' for the first time. I'm looking like a genius with my 2/17 -p200s. Of course that follows me looking like an idiot on the -c155s.

I've begun dipping my toes back in. Opened 170/150 put spreads yesterday,expiring this Friday. Closed them today - roughly .80 in and .10 out.

With share price now $210, that is only 630 pre-split. At least we're back into a previously well established trading range (whether it as TA merit or not, its something I use to stay calibrated). As a result I am continuing to sit out cc. I think something like $230 or $250 and I'll be thinking cc again. In the meantime the account value is going back up fast, just owning shares and leaps and not selling cc.

Income is going to be really low in Q4 and Q1, but I can work with that. Good thing - I sort of have to :). At least the market is again starting to look tradeable to me.

I've begun dipping my toes back in. Opened 170/150 put spreads yesterday,expiring this Friday. Closed them today - roughly .80 in and .10 out.

With share price now $210, that is only 630 pre-split. At least we're back into a previously well established trading range (whether it as TA merit or not, its something I use to stay calibrated). As a result I am continuing to sit out cc. I think something like $230 or $250 and I'll be thinking cc again. In the meantime the account value is going back up fast, just owning shares and leaps and not selling cc.

Income is going to be really low in Q4 and Q1, but I can work with that. Good thing - I sort of have to :). At least the market is again starting to look tradeable to me.

Out of curiosity, what is your fair share value for Tesla under the current interest rates? I understand that we are about at half from AH but wasn't that high during kind of a bubble market? Are you expecting for Tesla to break $300 this year? Maybe I have become too bearish after a horrible 2022 and I am trying to reassess my expectations. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Out of curiosity, what is your fair share value for Tesla under the current interest rates? I understand that we are about at half from AH but wasn't that high during kind of a bubble market? Are you expecting for Tesla to break $300 this year? Maybe I have become too bearish after a horrible 2022 and I am trying to reassess my expectations. Thanks
I'm expecting $300 this year. In fact I'm a little afraid to sell Jan 2024 400 strike CC. But I know nothing, as I never expected under $200 in 2022....

I give a 90% probability the share price will be between 60 and 600 by Jan2025

These are good questions and I would like better answers for you than I actually have.

The first part of my answer is that, despite knowing how incredibly important they are, I ignore the impact of interest rates on the share price. It would be most accurate to say that I do consider changes in interest rates and their impact on the short term price of the company. But for a "fair" market valuation - I consider this a long term investment question, and for that - I ignore interest rates. That's not necessarily a good choice :)

For my long term view of the company I also do not have a financial spreadsheet or analysis of income / units / profitability / .. I think that the best way to think of me is as a story investor. I invest in the big picture, understand enough finance and accounting to follow company financials and confirm or deny that the company is on track financially, and don't sweat the rest of it.

The story I see right now is that the company spiked to $400 a year ago (and a bit). I think the share price got well ahead of the company at that point. However it didn't get 3x ahead, or now at $210, it wasn't 2x over priced a year ago. Yes interest rates are up, but I tend to believe that for a long term buy and hold, growing as fast as Tesla is, as profitably as Tesla is, whether interest rates are 0, 5, or 10% isn't all that meaningful. It actually is, but as a long term buy and hold investor I mostly discount it. Over a 5+ year time horizon, whether the interest rates this year are 4%, 5%, or 8% I think will matter very little.

NOT-ADVICE
Yes I expect TSLA to go over $300 this year. That would be $900 pre-split, and that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. If we were to live between 150 and 300 the rest of the year, that wouldn't surprise me. If we blew the top off and ran over $400 on our way to something much higher, that wouldn't be a great shock to me.

Something like 250-350?

I still consider every share price <250 to be low. That doesn't mean we can't drop below 250 - only that we won't/can't go a lot below (say 200 at the lowest end that can be sustained). Therefore yes, I still consider 210 to be too cheap.

Real point for the moment - I still consider 210 to be too cheap to hold, but we're clearly a lot closer to a fair value than when we were $110. It's reasonably accurate to say that I'm not ready to sell cc yet because the strikes I would be selling aren't strikes I am ready to take assignment on. But we're getting close.

Got home and checked on my CCs. The 227.5s sold for 0.2 this am are now $1.08. :eek:

Am I the only one that now thinks 230 is a possibility for Friday? :oops:

Nothing to do but watch it play out for now.... 😩
I think 213/4 is still very strong resistance

Today looks like a combination of positive news, FOMO, short and Gamma squeeze, whether this is sustainable I don't know

But I do think the dark days are behind us, I saw nothing in CPI to concern, February print will be way better given the massive spike in fuel cost February 2022 with Putin's war

Good luck. But I'm sure you will understand when I say that I really hope you have to roll those.

As for me, I got my -c155s called away from me last week. Rather than rolling just for time and not strike price improvement, I decided to start the 'wheel' for the first time. I'm looking like a genius with my 2/17 -p200s. Of course that follows me looking like an idiot on the -c155s.
I got caught with my pants down on 26x -c130's when the stock started to go nuts in January, before I knew it they were DITM

I managed a one-month roll that cut the contracts to 24x, then I sold some puts and used the premium to close a couple more. SP kept rising, decided it was a lost cause and flipped the whole lot to 11x July -250 straddle, so essentially cut the contracts in half and took very fat premiums on the put side with lots of extrinsic and from here the SP can drop to 170 before they go negative - quite strange the amount of time-value in these +$15 as of close, which is a hell of a lot

Of course you need the cash or margin to make such trade, which makes for a lot of flexibility to be creative. The call side ties-up some shares and his they go ITM, but at 250 I have time to see it coming and roll a quarter out up to my 300 cost-basis

$240 - 270 seems fair value for TSLA right now. My method is based on having followed the company in detail since 2013 and the stock since 2016, nothing scientific, obviously...

However, markets are forward looking and right now Tesla appears to be the only high-growth mega cap, so it could easily go higher sooner as more folks realise this and want in

A Moodys upgrade would likely add 20% too as institutions buy-in

At open I:
STO 2/17 $230cc's @1.08
STO 3/03 $250cc's @3.50

And when I saw the retracement from $213 to $210 shortly after open I BTC some of my 3/03 $180csp's @3.6 (I sold these @8.7 two days ago).

So basically I'm setting up for this to be our local high before retracing a bit. But I'm not betting the farm in either direction.