Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha. I have no cash everything that I make gets reinvested in shares. I trade through 4 IRA's and my after tax. I guess I will have to build some cash reserves because I see some opportunity on day trading options.
the $25k threshold is a requirement for your account balance, not just your cash account and I imagine you must have more than that, considering your investment vehicle. 🤣
In an IRA, you have a different rule which is Free Riding. This applies to unsettled cash. Basically you can't use unsettled cash (in case of rapid buying and selling) to buy a security and sell it immediately after more than 4 times in a rolling 5 day period.

the $25k threshold is a requirement for your account balance, not just your cash account and I imagine you must have more than that, considering your investment vehicle. 🤣
In an IRA, you have a different rule which is Free Riding. This applies to unsettled cash. Basically you can't use unsettled cash (in case of rapid buying and selling) to buy a security and sell it immediately after more than 4 times in a rolling 5 day period.

I can't remember on which account I got a "Pattern day trading notice" and you a right it needs to be $25K equity so I have no idea why I got that notice. Maybe they are trying to keep me from making money lol.

Reactions: UltradoomY
So what are you seeing for your weekly return rates? I started off the year at 1.4%, but had to do a lot of management starting in March on a bunch of puts I had on other stocks and it has destroyed my return rate. Mine is currently sitting at 0.13%. I was only selling puts. I recently switched to som BPS after reading how everyone here was having success with them. I stayed away from them because I have heard when they go bad, rolling the long leg is nearly impossible.

I can't remember on which account I got a "Pattern day trading notice" and you a right it needs to be $25K equity so I have no idea why I got that notice. Maybe they are trying to keep me from making money lol.
Having >25k doesn't prevent you from being classified as a day trader. That notice/ classification just means you need to have 25k in value to continue trade freely. It's not a ding and is only a restriction if you have <25k.
On the up side, it may give you access to day trade margin which has a higher multiple limit than overnight margin.

I triggered it one memorial week due to there only being 4 trading days, thus combing the two Fridays of trading (same day option plays).

• Informative
Reactions: JustMe
So what are you seeing for your weekly return rates? I started off the year at 1.4%, but had to do a lot of management starting in March on a bunch of puts I had on other stocks and it has destroyed my return rate. Mine is currently sitting at 0.13%. I was only selling puts. I recently switched to som BPS after reading how everyone here was having success with them. I stayed away from them because I have heard when they go bad, rolling the long leg is nearly impossible.
I’ve made 1.05% return M-Th this week day trading covered calls. It remains to be seen how viable this is over the long term.

I will probably go back to selling weekly/monthly covered calls after the share price appreciates and IV recovers.

Reactions: InTheShadows
Unexpectedly nervy yesterday. Odds of a downdraft today seem higher than having to roll, but will have to monitor until mid-afternoon. Thinking I want to be fully closed out of CC through Monday and possibly all next week, but a reason to dip back in always seems to appear.
I got 755 CCs expiring today but am planning on staying away from selling calls for next week due to too much speculation regarding AI day, splits, etc.
Don't want to leave money on the table because i felt the need to trade

Are we closing below $720 or $710 today?

I got some -710c so I'd like to know 🙃
Max pain is 705 this morning, and the "crossover point" looks to be 712.5 (open interest is the 5th and 11th columns, rightmost column is calls - puts OI):

1628860914942.png

My *guess* is below 715.