Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like feedback on this idea:

BTO 2025 230 Puts
BTO 2025 130 Calls

Then sell weekly strangles of covered calls and cash secured puts.

EG:
STO 7D 190 Calls
STO 7D 170 Puts

These effectively become calendar spreads, but I manage them like the wheel. If we run up to $200 or down to $150, I let exercise happen, then sell the opposite next week for whatever gets exercised.

Thus the higher theta of the shorter sells will eventually pay off the costs of buying the ITM calls and put LEAPS.
FWIW, I've liked the idea for some time and started to implement a (softer) version of it a few months ago. Once it started rolling, I realized that with some conviction on direction (given time as an ally...hence longer cycle time), I can optimize earnings with half of the straddle / strangle and modify the LEAPS foundation over time.

Last edited:
I would like feedback on this idea:

BTO 2025 230 Puts
BTO 2025 130 Calls

Then sell weekly strangles of covered calls and cash secured puts.

EG:
STO 7D 190 Calls
STO 7D 170 Puts

These effectively become calendar spreads, but I manage them like the wheel. If we run up to $200 or down to $150, I let exercise happen, then sell the opposite next week for whatever gets exercised.

Thus the higher theta of the shorter sells will eventually pay off the costs of buying the ITM calls and put LEAPS.
Hmmm, the put's cost $90 each, you'd need to sell ~$1.5 weekly to get your premium back, I don't see much benefit, same for the calls

You'd be better with slightly OTM calls and puts IMO, but I'm no expert

As of closing today, Microsoft took back the lead. NVDA is neck to neck with AAPL.

I have to zoom out to get TSLA to fit on this list.

Have a great weekend Team!

1718401451461.png

Biggest annoyance of this week was Elon blurting out the shareholder vote in advance, still not sure how that can be allowed by the SEC

The effect was a pump, which was then negated by hot air and airy-fairy nonsense in the meeting itself

If the result had been kept confidential until the meeting, we would have stayed flat

And that fake rally on Thursday spooked me out of $60k profits

Deeply irritating....

As of closing today, Microsoft took back the lead. NVDA is neck to neck with AAPL.

View attachment 1056619
If ONLY I owned Saudi Aramco i could round out this list of 13..

Diversification
Wins

What’s interesting though is that Saudi Aramco, it wasn’t that long ago maybe 1-2 years that IT was the biggest company in the world pretty much by far by market cap (well, maybe other than ICICI bank, but that doesn’t count since they don’t audit their books)… how the tides have turned.

i still haven't decided how to play NVDA
All I have found is playing intraday lows to sell puts and try to close out fairly quickly. Not great returns, but risk/return is pretty good.
What an anti-climax to the week. All that talk of $>200 on a ‘yes’ vote lol.
Maybe the lesson is that you need to play a little bit of the contrarian. To me what was obvious was that there was going to be a move associated with things, I just couldn't tell if it was going up or down. My basis for confidence in a move was the AAPL response to WWDC. Repositioning is going on which will increase volatility.
Attention is now back to Q2 delivery. RT event in August will need to be of adequate substance to continue limping along.
Taking the theme of knowing the obvious: we know Q2 production is going to be bad. The market has either already priced this in, or will start positioning for it next week. The market has had sufficient telegraphs to know that it won't be good. What will it take to provide upside after P&D?

For me, TSLA premiums are still too low to justify playing with it though. I will keep watching though and see if an opportunity is created; something should cause a level of capitulation or confidence this week.

Reactions: MikeC

View attachment 1056619
Elon is certainly the boy who cried FSD. Once, not if, that is solved, things will get crazy. Might be years however as I'm not seeing a good cadence of releases demonstrating consistent improvement

Elon is certainly the boy who cried FSD. Once, not if, that is solved, things will get crazy. Might be years however as I'm not seeing a good cadence of releases demonstrating consistent improvement
You are being too kind. If Elon was as smart as everyone thinks he is, he would know, like most of us having logic and an understanding of what this actually takes, is that with the edge cases, they are at least 1 year out to coming close to solving FSD.

And you worked there with this group, I think, so, based on what you know and stated above, we are far off to having this solved. I certainly understand that Tesla, Elon, and his FSD group are on future iterations right now and can experience what we presently cannot, but there is so much that needs to be solved, that they really need to stop saying that it will happen soon. Unless you are a fanboi, and suck up everything he states as truth, most understand they are still a long way off...we are beyond the boy who cried wolf! WS does not believe as we saw what happeNed to the stock today. If there was ever a day for the stock to take off, today, with the approval of his pay package, would have been a good day.

One last thought...if they came out and stated that, similar to waymo, they have an even better geofenced self driving option, I just might believe that.

Before market close today I closed my -175P for 0.01 after a nice $4 profit. For next week I sold -180P for almost $5. These are for shares I've been trying to get back since the ER. I have now made enough premium that if they get assigned at 180, I will have made $7.5 in profit (so if you don't have tax issues, letting CCs go and switching to selling Puts can work). If the SP blasts past $187.5, then I will have more work to do to get the shares back without losing money, by selling more Puts the following week. If the SP is below 180 at Friday close, I will have to decide if I let the Puts get assigned so I finally get my shares back, or roll for more credit. I do want the shares before P&D in 2.5 weeks in case there is a rally.

And you worked there with this group, I think, so, based on what you know and stated above, we are far off to having this solved.
The obvious answer is we don't know for sure. The not so obvious answer is when math is applied, we can calculate a trajectory. 12.4.x will be that needed data point and the longer that takes to get out to the fleet, the worse the math looks.

Just watch how AAPL singlehanded changed AI to meant Apple Intelligence and took the crown overnight.

That how business should be run. Less fluff more actions.

TSLA is at a point where it’s need to show not talk. Talk is cheap. Saying it going be trillions dollar company and putting together an amateur shareholder meeting with non-polished presentation for fanboy aint hitting it.

Saying that I will be going 2-3 months Long on AAPL. Either that or sell puts.

TSLA I will be shorting it once opportunity show. Which seems soon if 168 is broken.

TSLA, NVDA, SMCI or just TSLA ;)

Sector rotation is out of XLY (TSLA) and into XLK (SMCI NVDA), i think that is one reason why TSLA can't rise? Double whammy because this is TSLA's EM's fault and also not TSLA's EM's fault. Consumer Discretionary is sensitive to economic cycles and spending is reduced during times of uncertainly (rates up? rates down? fulltime jobs down and parttime jobs up, jobless claims up and JOLTS down, etc)
1718481461152.png

QQQ is showing no signs of going weaker, but the bull market is going to turn eventually coz "the rest of the market isn't following"
1718482321479.png

79% of SPX below 200sma and 57% of SPX below 50sma, and still sliding down (ie only a handful of stocks propping it up). If NVDA falls, it's kingdom come.
1718453184762.png

DJIA double-top
1718474783547.png

SPY weekly negative divergence and 1st time broke channel res
1718474969525.png

QQQ weekly negative divergence and 1st time broke channel res
1718474912742.png

NVDA at 2.6%fib, overbought and perhaps correction overdue but there are 150 bets (translation: bullish)
1718452614040.png

1718483143197.png

SMCI is 2 consecutive days above 50sma for the first time since Apr; the large red control bar on the left will perhaps range-bound this into a channel with 700 bottom; Short Strangles rule?
1718480759124.png

TSLA looks weak, intraday is downtrending with lower highs
1718480784337.png

Sector rotation is out of XLY (TSLA) and into XLK (SMCI NVDA), i think that is one reason why TSLA can't rise? Double whammy because this is TSLA's EM's fault and also not TSLA's EM's fault. Consumer Discretionary is sensitive to economic cycles and spending is reduced during times of uncertainly (rates up? rates down? fulltime jobs down and parttime jobs up, jobless claims up and JOLTS down, etc)
View attachment 1056821

QQQ is showing no signs of going weaker, but the bull market is going to turn eventually coz "the rest of the market isn't following"
View attachment 1056824

79% of SPX below 200sma and 57% of SPX below 50sma, and still sliding down (ie only a handful of stocks propping it up). If NVDA falls, it's kingdom come.
View attachment 1056730

DJIA double-top
View attachment 1056786

SPY weekly negative divergence and 1st time broke channel res
View attachment 1056788

QQQ weekly negative divergence and 1st time broke channel res
View attachment 1056787

NVDA at 2.6%fib, overbought and perhaps correction overdue but there are 150 bets (translation: bullish)
View attachment 1056727
View attachment 1056827

SMCI is 2 consecutive days above 50sma for the first time since Apr; the large red control bar on the left will perhaps range-bound this into a channel with 700 bottom; Short Strangles rule?
View attachment 1056818

TSLA looks weak, intraday is downtrending with lower highs
View attachment 1056819

Thanks Yoona. Guess these are signs big retracements are coming……

Selling Call 2-3 months out expecting downtrends ala @tivoboy is one way to go.

Love,

theDog.