Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Puts arriving

1719510034987.png

It is interesting how many different ways there are to play the game. The theory of lots of little transactions is you can afford to be wrong ~30% of the time. As for calls vs puts, there is more "irrational exuberence" on the way up compared to at the bottom.

I haven't been thrilled with my positioning (2-month laddered puts mostly) in the last month. I'm either not putting in the work or the market is shifting a bit from where I am thinking.
I certainly look for FOMO, MOMO to move up SP, and by derivative CALL options pricing.. especially when not truly married with some fundamental or valuation change. Ppl chase price, cheaper ppl chase call options, pushing up options price, and SP, repeat. That’s when I like to sell -CC.

Tivoboy don’t chase price.

I prefer to sell farther out, since premiums are higher.. but I’m not always looking for it to expire worthless at all. I’m happy to TAKE in $10, then buy it back for $6, keeping $4, wait a bit, then repeat. I can do that 2-3 times between now and Aug if done right, and net more than the initial $10.

OR, in this case I’m happy to take +$220 if someone wants them that bad between now and Aug 16. If we’re well above that at that point, GREAT for the longs.

I agree with you (that it makes little sense) but it isn't up to Tesla. I noticed a $2,000 discount since I bought mine; that should help with interior (white or cream) or color (white, blue or black) options while remaining under the $80k threshold.
$7,500 tax credit is based on the MSRP being $80k or under. Discounts of any kind do not lower the MSRP, so it doesn't qualify because they discount it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jim Holder
Off topic but I gotta say, it's crazy what you can get an X for nowadays especially if you're ok with a demo unit compared to 2 years ago, especially since it now qualifies for the tax credit. If I didn't have use for the cash in other ways, I would have seriously considered getting an X instead of the Y.
I saw your post and just called to inquire about a 7 seat X which was listed as a demo and under $80k. The sales advisor said it would not qualify for the $7500 credit if the sticker price was originally over $80k. Is that correct?

It is interesting how many different ways there are to play the game. The theory of lots of little transactions is you can afford to be wrong ~30% of the time. As for calls vs puts, there is more "irrational exuberence" on the way up compared to at the bottom.

I haven't been thrilled with my positioning (2-month laddered puts mostly) in the last month. I'm either not putting in the work or the market is shifting a bit from where I am thinking.
There's many strategies the team are using on here but at the end of the day it's what work best for us individually.

My main plays has been to ride the upward stream and sell Puts but there's flaws in my execution.
My saving grace has been my Longs.

1. I tend to get FOMO and sell Puts or Call too early. A V killed my plan quickly
2. I sell only <5DTE, and with above combo that put my butt on fires many times especially with SMCI and NVDA
3. Greed killed - hold onto winning hands too long
4. Cold Feet - closing contract too soon

1 and 2 are entry strategy and 3 and 4 are exit.

I guess knowing thy weakness is a good start. Fixing it is a lot tougher as it's required some mental commitment.

If I'm not 100% sure on something I put it out here on the boards and wait for feedbacks or simply a thumb up or thumb down. The board is lined with crackers but sometimes we just need pause and sniff it. Corny analogy but the dog isn't known to being beautiful or a poet.

There's many strategies the team are using on here but at the end of the day it's what work best for us individually.

My main plays has been to ride the upward stream and sell Puts but there's flaws in my execution.
My saving grace has been my Longs.

1. I tend to get FOMO and sell Puts or Call too early. A V killed my plan quickly
2. I sell only <5DTE, and with above combo that put my butt on fires many times especially with SMCI and NVDA
3. Greed killed - hold onto winning hands too long
4. Cold Feet - closing contract too soon

1 and 2 are entry strategy and 3 and 4 are exit.

I guess knowing thy weakness is a good start. Fixing it is a lot tougher as it's required some mental commitment.

If I'm not 100% sure on something I put it out here on the boards and wait for feedbacks or simply a thumb up or thumb down. The board is lined with crackers but sometimes we just need pause and sniff it. Corny analogy but the dog isn't known to being beautiful or a poet.
Patience is not inaction.

Panic never helps, nor does forcing something that doesn't really work. I have found for myself that the two things that kill are excessive complexity and panicking about the pennies when they are recoverable.

Greed is a tougher one. You need just the right amount of it for this to work. Too little and you don't get the return you need for the risk taken, and hogs get slaughtered.

Patience is not inaction.
I've been quite happy and content with the longer term options plays I'm doing and the returns I'm getting where I'm only selling calls at strike prices that I'm fine with letting the shares go at ($400+ strikes) with multi year strike dates. Then it's a patience game of waiting for the 1-2 year strike dates to approach and expire (or roll them higher if TSLA does actually go on a mega rally over the course of 2024-2025.

I'm already halfway into the 1st tranche of CC's that I sold back in summer of 2023 which have 2025 expiration dates which I netted roughly 25-26% interest on those shares + another 14% interest on the cash proceeds through some timely cash secured puts on the drop to the mid 100's. If we get a rally into the mid-upper 200's this summer, I'll sell another tranche of CC's. Repeat year after year until I have all of my shares allotted for in tranches and I'm effectively earning 15%-20% or so per year.

Three obvious con's being either TSLA goes a huge multiyear rally where it's just too expensive to roll. But in that case, my shares get called away at strike prices that secure my retirement..I'm not going to cry.

Other con is the stock going down or into a long stagnation but I'll just accumulate more shares and increase the tranches sizes because I can lower the strike price of the CC's and still net the same amount of money for retirement.

And the last con is just boredom. I'm not trading weekly or monthlies like a good portion of you guys are. So it's a lot of me doing numbers to crunch the outcomes at certain strikes and the % of interest I want to net off of that tranche of shares and then waiting till the stock gets high enough to pull the trigger on those or waiting on the stock to get low enough to where I can make use of cash secured puts and close out some CC's on the cheap.

On a daily/weekly and often monthly basis, I'm just living through your guys trades lol. @BornToFly man it's a lot of fun following your trades and sorry for the ones that didn't work out for ya. But you're always exciting to follow

I've been doing very well since end April thanks to TSLA trading in a tight channel, mostly with $10 wide strangles, bring ing +2% to +3% return weekly... just a couple of weeks back where Elon pulled the rug on us by announcing the shareholder vote in advance that spooked me out of my calls, which would have ended up OTM if I'd held. And this week looking like a 1-2% loss with the voodoo move in the stock, but that fat lady hasn't sang yet, might be worse, might be less

correct, it doesn't qualify for tax credit. It's based on MSRP. Otherwise there would be lots of gaming the system.
1719518727132.png

I know we're on the same page. Just wanted to share from earlier today that the Model X's MSRP has been reduced by $2k...allowing, for the first time, color (some, not all) or interior options (beyond those of factory) while honoring the $80k incentive threshold. This will be my last post / insistence on this topic as it's OT for this thread.

Last edited: