Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like crowed moved up to $205 as of now:

1719579521411.png

I dont know I only know where it will likely end up after blowing off. The blowing off part is always exciting as everybody gets sucked in but Ive seen this movie a hundred times.

I kept 5x Jan '25 +p180 awaiting a strong dip to sell... should have cut loose at $160s when they were worth 5k more. I want to exit these , free the shares, recover as much possible , it's loss reduction at best. This post blow off dip might be it for a while?

Reactions: UncaNed
It is interesting how many different ways there are to play the game. The theory of lots of little transactions is you can afford to be wrong ~30% of the time. As for calls vs puts, there is more "irrational exuberence" on the way up compared to at the bottom.

I haven't been thrilled with my positioning (2-month laddered puts mostly) in the last month. I'm either not putting in the work or the market is shifting a bit from where I am thinking.
@Patrick66 writes:
"The theory of lots of little transactions is you can afford to be wrong ~30% of the time."

I've been wondering what % of my option trading resources I should trade with at a time to manage the occasion failed trades. Can anyone tell me where I can learn more about this??

Last edited:
@Patrick66 writes:
"The theory of lots of little transactions is you can afford to be wrong ~30% of the time."

-Can anyone tell me more about this? I've been wondering what % of my option trades I should do at a time to manage the occasion failed trades?
It really comes down to how much risk you are taking with each trade. If you are selling far OTM puts every week you have a very different risk profile than someone selling ITM puts once a month. My 30% number actually comes from one of the options video series based on selling options that have a 70% probability of expiring worthless.

You also need to define what a failure is; breaking even or losing double what you sold for are both failed trades, but they impact how you approach things.

In theory, I want 1.02^30 annual return, which gives me a safer benchmark to track to than targeting an equivalent 1.1%/week^52 weeks.

It really comes down to how much risk you are taking with each trade. If you are selling far OTM puts every week you have a very different risk profile than someone selling ITM puts once a month. My 30% number actually comes from one of the options video series based on selling options that have a 70% probability of expiring worthless.

You also need to define what a failure is; breaking even or losing double what you sold for are both failed trades, but they impact how you approach things.

In theory, I want 1.02^30 annual return, which gives me a safer benchmark to track to than targeting an equivalent 1.1%/week^52 weeks.
I'd think choosing what amount of my option trading money I allot to each trade is about optimizing to manage a given percent of likely losses of an average and/or maximum percent loss size on a given percent of trades, no?

Reactions: Jim Holder
Or Wicked's 207.30? Or Wicked's $212? I'm happy their posts are accurate, but... (cue @Audie)...

The pump is too quick too fast without substance IMO.

Those Puts are getting cheaper.

Would be great to hear from our resident TA expert based on morning PA.

The 203 is just a guide until it is not. Seem to be holding below for now.

I'd think choosing what amount of my option trading money I allot to each trade is about optimizing to manage a given percent of likely losses of an average and/or maximum percent loss size on a given percent of trades, no?
Everyone has a different way of looking at things, but my personal opinion is that I am playing a broad strategy and not just an isolated trade. I screw up when I get caught up in the trade rather than the continuum. Many of my trades are stupid as individual trades, but work as a whole.

I love laddering things, mostly on calendar, but some with strikes. I find I can handle 6 positions in my head on a given stock well; when I get over that I need to get out the graph paper to work through things. (The spreadsheet spits out a number, but doesn't give me the same confidence as looking at it on paper.)

I try to make sure that the next two weeks will not eat up all my cash if I get assigned, and adjust once assigned. Over-managing things makes me lose money.