Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your tool enable calculation of the difference in $ and %? It would be interesting to compare the trend in up vs. down weeks.
i only grabbed the screenshot from

I'm not confusing likelihood and size. I think earlier I said the likely hood was less. but the amount is more.
But it is a fact that a 100 point spread has the potential of a greater loss than a 10 point spread for the same side trade.
I compared 1 narrow BPS and the maintenance margin requirement with 1 wide spread BPS.
I did not include using a narrow spread to increase leverage.
I think all the variables highlights the fact that risk management has a multitude of aspects to it.
I was just going off your text that I quoted which was "the wide spread gives you much more room to adjust the trade while increasing your risk of total max loss". Regardless, yes, there are lots of aspects, but one thing you didn't really mention is that the the 10 point spread also has much lower premium as the 100 point spread as well, so you have to lever up a bit to compare them from a profit standpoint.

Reactions: InTheShadows
Guesses on the floor for today? I'm thinking of BTC some of my CC's today.

This week now seems like the battle of the put and call walls. The $700 walls are both big, but it seems like the $720 put wall might hold with 30.4k puts.
  • GTC order to BTC 2/3 of my $765 position at $2 for a $7 profit -- hit.
  • Will let the rest expire or close lower on Friday.
  • Friday BTO at $760 for a Monday AM pop didn't work this week (bought too early, and Elon email plus noise seems to have overwhelmed FSDv10 news). :(

Last edited:
I was just going off your text that I quoted which was "the wide spread gives you much more room to adjust the trade while increasing your risk of total max loss". Regardless, yes, there are lots of aspects, but one thing you didn't really mention is that the the 10 point spread also has much lower premium as the 100 point spread as well, so you have to lever up a bit to compare them from a profit standpoint.
Sorry, I used the wrong word. Like when I call my GF by my Ex's name.
That increases my risk of the size of the hurt I'm going to receive. LOL

I meant to say size instead of risk. Big difference
"I was just going off your text that I quoted which was "the wide spread gives you much more room to adjust the trade while increasing your SIZE of total max loss"."

In other news my short leg of my BPS of 710 Puts I STO last week is not being kind to me today

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs
I have a theory, based off of looking at max-pain for every week going out to 10/8.

This week I think that $700 call wall will disapear at some point. Guessing when SP drops close enough for whomever to take nice enough profits. When that happens it's game on for run to $750 to close the week.

Looking out further to 9/24 I'm being careful as it could run to $800 easily as there doesn't seem to be any calls impeding.

10/1 is a $800 small-ish call wall at 2.8k, but could disapear as well.

10/8 $800 call wall 4.9k.

The next few weeks look great for selling aggressive puts. I'm going to be very conservative with selling calls

Not advice.

I have a theory, based off of looking at max-pain for every week going out to 10/8.

This week I think that $700 call wall will disapear at some point. Guessing when SP drops close enough for whomever to take nice enough profits. When that happens it's game on for run to $750 to close the week.

Looking out further to 9/24 I'm being careful as it could run to $800 easily as there doesn't seem to be any calls impeding.

10/1 is a $800 small-ish call wall at 2.8k, but could disapear as well.

10/8 $800 call wall 4.9k.

The next few weeks look great for selling aggressive puts. I'm going to be very conservative with selling calls

Not advice.
What about if the entire market decides to take a dump?

Reactions: PastorDave
Here is a sheet I made to help me figure out how to leverage put spreads and how much risk I want to take. I can enter different values and it will go out and fetch the latest option prices and do the calculations for me.
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 10.48.34 AM.png

STO 50x 9/17 bps 710/660 for 3.55 credit.
May add next week if SP goes down.

Won't sell CCs rn. Already have -40x 9/24 820c
that are not doing very well. Only 50% profit in 2+ weeks.
Well, looking at how SP was falling this a.m. I decided 710 might be in play and rolled these into lower strikes.
-100x bps 9/17 690/685 @0.85
-200x bps 9/24 690/680 @2.65
Prices were all over the place while I was scrambling to put the trades in and close old position, but got about $5k credit from this and will make me sleep better.

Too bad I didn't follow my suggestion to wait until this week to see what MM will be up to instead of selling puts last week 😂

Edit: Beta 10 seems to still have some major screw ups based on @wholemarsblog and @Frenchie videos, so not at prime time for robotaxi yet, but the progress is obvious.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's near perfect in 6mo.