Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title idea: The house always wins. Be the House.

BTW is there a name for that weird state when you sell a spread and somehow both sides of it are green?

STO some put spreads for 10/15 this morning, +635/-735 for $7 net credit per share and just noticed they're up 12.9% and 4.11% respectively right now (SP about same as when I sold this morning)
That's just a result of the IV crush from the meeting last night.
I am in close to the same positions and also up. IV is down about 8 points from yesterday.

This is also why there is more value in going out a couple weeks - the Q3 share holders meeting was announced and so IV for that week is already up, along with the additional 2 weeks of time value.

Reactions: Yoona
I think there's a lot to be said about having a private thread, we're kind of advertising our trades to the public here, along with our strategies, is that really wise?

I'll add support for the private forum, as long as I get an invite :) Also, if it goes private, there should be some way of allowing new users in from a public discussion - so as not to create an echo chamber.

Several posts about a private forum or slack channel. The challenge I see with these is that I think that people will rarely participate in both. If that private forum provided the participants with enough ideas, discussion, and input, then they are unlikely to also post in this thread. And I've seen today just how many lurkers and first time participants we're attracting (good thing - anybody reading the whole thread will quickly see the value of new participants adding their own observations, experiences, and insights).

Then again it'd be pretty easy for somebody to start a slack channel and start inviting people privately, and participants in this thread would never know. Except that maybe the post rate would go down and some people would disappear :D

We've also seen a number of observations about the challenge of so many accessible posts about specific trades. I'm confident that if our volume grows large enough, then we'll also get to experience some market maker efforts specifically designed to pick our pockets. I don't think we're anywhere close to that, and it might be we're multiple orders of magnitude away from enough volume to attract that attention, but its also the case that our total contract counts has skyrocketed with the spreads over the short puts and calls the thread started out with. I know mine have - like more than 1 order of magnitude.

I'm just always cognizant of the idea that if something looks like free money, then it isn't; there are always better funded market participants with better technology to exploit speed and quality of fill, than anything any of us have.

On the naming front I'm in the camp that the name needs to include something about selling options. That doesn't and won't mean that there is no discussion of buying options, but I think the name and tenor of the ongoing discussion will be enough to steer option buyers to the Options Trading Strategy/Advice thread.

Definitely take the reference to the specific strategy of The Wheel from the name. And don't add bull put spread to the name - for all we know, a year from now these BPS things will be so last year :p

And I think I've seen enough ideas, whimsical and serious, to come up with something pretty good. Good mostly means accurate and descriptive. Heck - the current misleading name is still doing a good job of helping people get to the thread, so we've got a lot of wiggle room for a successful name.

I've got other stuff to do for a bit - I'll be back later this afternoon to try and summarize what I've seen.

I expect that post #1 will get updated to include a link to the wiki / glossary. The idea here is that we'll still be able to point people to the start of this thread (post #1), which will in turn point to the glossary / FAQ. and let them know that's the baseline knowledge we assume :) And it won't matter whether the FAQ is on page 1 or 10 of the main forum - people will reliably get to it. That baseline is going to be growing a lot larger!

I know we are all giddy about spreads lately.... but I have been actively converting my account from only shares and some leaps (small cash position as well)
over to leaps and cash, that way upside is captured, I have a ton of leverage and way more cash to back my spreads instead of the percentage of margin my broker allows me with only owning Tesla.

Because of that I usually only deploy about 33% of my available margin to keep me sleeping well but to also have room to move things around if something goes the wrong way.

However when I was thinking (bored and waiting for my new Plaid, looking for rims already..) I decided to try a new strategy that I have not seen here before.

So I only did one to see the mechanics this week and if I like it.

That is the Buy-Write.
It is a single ticket at my broker but the idea is buy 100 shares at market and immediately sell a very aggressive CC against it.
For me I chose the 10/15 $795's
Return is 2k (ish) if they get called away or if it is under I go even more aggressive the next week.
They idea is not to keep the shares and only capture the premium.

Figured I would try this since IV is a lot higher than it has been in a while, if I end up liking it I will be doing more than one at a time with the extra cash I have sitting around on a Friday.

Closed out my 800lcc for today at .16. I had an order in to close at .10 and then I remembered last August. Mucking around over a few pennies led to 1 of the 3 or 4 worst trades I've ever had (really, really big move up on expiration day).

Lesson - don't muck about over a few pennies. When I decide I'm done with a trade, then be done. At .08/contract, I'm trying to get an extra $8 / contract, or $80 for 10 lcc's. So totally not worth it, and so totally worth taking the risk off the table when we're <$20 away from my strike.

Now I get to decide whether to sell the leaps backing those calls to raise cash for more BPS, or do another batch of aggressive lcc for next week.

Here's my 2 cents on the thread. The reason why this thread is so successful and didn't fall to the wayside like other threads is the evolving nature of it. It's like a conversation in real life. It evolves. We talk about positions and strategies during trading hours and talk about hopes and dreams during off times. And I like that. Why fix something that's not broken? We've been successful as a collective is because of the camaraderie that's built over time. It takes time for everyone to get to where we are. I get trying to make it easy for newcomers, but this is not a get rich fast scheme. Kind of like entering a new school. You'll have to spend some time to find your way and what clicks. I don't post much on forums and this is pretty much the only one that I actually participate in and it's because of the natural nature of it. I'm afraid that making it "formal" take all of this atmosphere away. In the end, I like being at a coffee shop and hearing what people have to say. It sucks to be at a conference day in day out ;).

Rookie question: When using spreads, essentially selling and buying an option with the same expiration date (but a different strike) I would expect the theta value to be equal for both options.

So, being long and short the same time value would mean that time does not impact spreads, right?

But, if that is the case though, why do spreads with expirations further into the future have a higher value (for the same strikes)?

For example:
- a 700/600 BPS for 15 Oct nets $337 of credit.
- for 22 Oct this is already $920 of credit.

Given the 3 dimensions of options pricing (delta, theta, volatility)
- I expect delta should be the same for these spreads
- I expect IV should be the same too
- ... so does theta impact BPS after all?

Which one of my assumptions is wrong?
I really urge you to go back to very first page of this thread, and get into optionalpha videos. Be prepared to spend about 40-50 hours.

The return on the 800/750 is 50%: 27m credit and 53m risk
Thanks, but I still don’t see how to calculate the $53m risk. I now realize that I incorrectly had 800m above, and I actually should have calculated 80m (16,000*100*50), which is 35% profit. So what am I still missing? Is the required margin actually less than the 100% loss that I’m assuming?

I know we are all giddy about spreads lately.... but I have been actively converting my account from only shares and some leaps (small cash position as well)
over to leaps and cash, that way upside is captured, I have a ton of leverage and way more cash to back my spreads instead of the percentage of margin my broker allows me with only owning Tesla.

Because of that I usually only deploy about 33% of my available margin to keep me sleeping well but to also have room to move things around if something goes the wrong way.

However when I was thinking (bored and waiting for my new Plaid, looking for rims already..) I decided to try a new strategy that I have not seen here before.

That is the Buy-Write.
It is a single ticket at my broker but the idea is buy 100 shares at market and immediately sell a very aggressive CC against it.
Return is 2k (ish) if they get called away or if it is under I go even more aggressive the next week.

Figured I would try this since IV is a lot higher than it has been in a while, if I end up liking it I will be doing more than one at a time with the extra cash I have sitting around on a Friday.
That was my second step in trading covered calls -- laddering with conservative strikes against shares I want to keep, and aggressive strikes ATM with an incremental purchase I would be okay with having assigned. Problem is it took < a month for my brain to convert those "extra" trading shares into "core" shares. Ha!

• Funny
Reactions: UltradoomY
exactly what i was thinking of recently!

more shares doesn't mean more ability to generate income (in a MARGIN acct) due to a broker's artificial capping

so to maximize leveraging allowed on a MARGIN acct, keep only # of shares that can use the leverage 100%

(ie if cap is 750k and one thinks lowest sp in future is 500 and margin is 50%, then only the first 3000 shares generate leverage and are useful to generate income)

Wiki Applying options strategy 'the wheel' to TSLA

65FBD87E-5BAD-4E4D-8CD7-7BB5EC2B32DF.jpeg

Here’s my simple TA for the next two weeks. I’ve been paper trading BPS & ICs based on this channel. Of course I’m doing quite well (in my dreams). Next week is 700/750-850/900. The following week would be 710/760-860/910. One of these days I will get off my butt and open a taxable account at a real brokerage.

That is the Buy-Write.

Buy write == short put. You're rediscovering the wheel

Thanks, but I still don’t see how to calculate the $53m risk. I now realize that I incorrectly had 800m above, and I actually should have calculated 80m (16,000*100*50), which is 35% profit. So what am I still missing? Is the required margin actually less than the 100% loss that I’m assuming?
The margin / max risk is offset by the credit received. So while the distance between strikes is worth 80m, you already get 27m in cash, so the most you can lose is 80 - 27 = 53

I really urge you to go back to very first page of this thread, and get into optionalpha videos. Be prepared to spend about 40-50 hours.
AND take notes coz some posts can only really be understood after re-reading them many times over

notes/printouts also help one remember things: Because experience will gradually improve, some advanced posts won't make any sense right now

for ex: i still have printouts from 9 months ago about strangles that got inverted - HUH? Someday i will understand how one accidentally inverts a strangle and how it got fixed - the solution is in my paper binder aka bible

View attachment 719286
Here’s my simple TA for the next two weeks. I’ve been paper trading BPS & ICs based on this channel. Of course I’m doing quite well (in my dreams). Next week is 700/750-850/900. The following week would be 710/760-860/910. One of these days I will get off my butt and open a taxable account at a real brokerage.
i can't take a TA without crayons seriously ...
haven't you learned a thing from WSB?

here is my take with the crayon-lines from some weeks ago (when the line starts). I can do crayons good! :D
Screenshot_20211008_215645.png

Btw: by accident i included the "runup into earnings" and "sell the news" in that chart as well .. :D
Those lines are 1 month old!