Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
closed my bps (-800/+700) for this week, it was about 90% profit.
premiums for next week are lousy.. now I want that one red day so I can sell bps for next week.. maybe tomorrow.
Good call - this morning seems like a good day, at least in the context of opening put credit spreads, to sit it out and wait for a red day. Or maybe just keep an eye on the premiums for 10/29; a bit of a recovery doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

A question that I have in mind, and I'd like to see what others are thinking - is $800 the new $700? What I mean by that - my view of $700 is that it represents a really strong support for the share price. To break below that in anything resembling a sustained way, at this point, will need some pretty bad news and probably some pretty bad macro. Something like a bad FSD accident along with other macro issues that have been discussed, and even that probably won't be enough; profitability, and line of sight to a lot more profitability, is too good right now.

My initial thinking is that $800 isn't as strong of a support as $700 had previously become, but its getting there pretty quickly at this point. I think its more a function of just how eager people will be to buy should the shares drop that far ($800) than a more detailed technical analysis might lead me to (my own TA skills are .. uhm ... developing).

Good call - this morning seems like a good day, at least in the context of opening put credit spreads, to sit it out and wait for a red day. Or maybe just keep an eye on the premiums for 10/29; a bit of a recovery doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

A question that I have in mind, and I'd like to see what others are thinking - is $800 the new $700? What I mean by that - my view of $700 is that it represents a really strong support for the share price. To break below that in anything resembling a sustained way, at this point, will need some pretty bad news and probably some pretty bad macro. Something like a bad FSD accident along with other macro issues that have been discussed, and even that probably won't be enough; profitability, and line of sight to a lot more profitability, is too good right now.

My initial thinking is that $800 isn't as strong of a support as $700 had previously become, but its getting there pretty quickly at this point. I think its more a function of just how eager people will be to buy should the shares drop that far ($800) than a more detailed technical analysis might lead me to (my own TA skills are .. uhm ... developing).
$800 was the new $700 in February as well. Many got caught perma rolling puts. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

I'm looking for some help with managing SMA / Fed margin. The definition from Fidelity's page:

SMA/Fed call​

Special memorandum account/Federal call. When the margin equity in the account exceeds the federal "Reg T" requirement of 50%, the amount in excess of the requirement is referred to as the SMA. If the Reg T initial requirement is not met, a Fed call is issued against the account. Generally, Fed calls must be met within 5 business days, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.

What I'm seeing, and looking for ideas on how to manage, is that the SMA margin is lower than the House surplus by about 20%. It's also pretty much exactly 1/2 of my cash on hand.

I tried buying a couple of far OTM puts this morning (10/29 puts at 500 strike) to see if I could buy far OTM puts to lower margin requirements on the shares I have in that account. That didn't budge the SMA margin.

Any ideas? I'd like to be using more like 3/4th of the cash than 1/2, but the best I've got right now is to open on Monday for Friday expiration, and use the 5 day resolution window to close the position. Of course I risk an early / arbitrary close by my broker and they might not like me using that 5 day window repeatedly, but if I'm using defined risk positions, why should there be any restriction as long as I'm backing these defined risk positions with cash - not margin?

The odd thing about this - I can use more of my cash and assets in the retirement accounts than I can the brokerage account with margin.

With the myriad of sophisticated trading strategies, is anyone caught holding the bag on deep ITM covered calls? Any fancy non advice on how to manage those positions?
I have a 12/17 cc at $850, got rolled up a number of times for credit on weeklies and finally had to go out to December to get some credit. Since it still has 2 months to go, there is a good chance stock will drop back down on some macros or other news and maybe a chance to roll again. Otherwise I'll wait till expiration day and try to roll it again.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I am one of those holding 860cc expiring tomorrow. One of the ideas I am considering is letting them exercise and then buying ATM Leaps with something like half the proceeds, and using the other half as cash to cover more contracts (like bps or contracts). Am I wrong in thinking that I am still covering myself for an increase in sp with leaps, while maintaining or even increasing my ability to sell options with the extra cash?

In my mind my new floor is ~$770 and likely look to sell $750 on down days. The drop we had last March is still pretty fresh and painful. I‘m willing to make less and wait for the $800 support to be build and tested.

Was able to close out all my ICs few minutes ago. The BCS leg went from 70% gain to 50% rather quickly with the SP march to $900.

It's tempting to roll my big bps position from -750/+700 to -800/+750.. but I'm gonna resist this temptation.

Instead I rolled my little 2x BPS -760/+710 to 2x -850/+800. This is my intentional "trying to get myself into trouble" -position, that I've been rolling along. It started some weeks back as 1x -785/685, short leg went itm, position was rolled out a week and to -760/660, then I doubled contracts and cut position to -760/710, and now it's sitting at 2x -850/800.
Credit colleced so far from this experiment has been $3330, max loss stands now at $6670 (10k-credit).
Let's see what sort of salvation techniques will be needed on thursday's sell the news...

I hope you'll continue updating us on how this position evolves. For those reading along closely they might get nearly as good of an education on BPS management as you're getting by doing.

So I finally decided to clear the house, so to speak, and closed everything, including this. My intention was to get myself into trouble, but it didn't really happen..

Only time here when the short strike was threatened was the next day right after opening this position.
Here's how everything went. Numbers aren't exact to the cent, because looking back at wingman after this has been closed, well it's not the most intuitive tools there.. and I didn't add notes when doing any rolls.
- opened up -785/+685 (expiry 10/15) bps on 10/7, for $14 credit. TSLA was slightly above 785, and closed that day at 793.
- 10/7 TSLA dipped, when it hit 785, I rolled the position out one week, for minimal credit and max strike improvement. Roll was to 10/22 expiry and -760/+660 strikes. Got minimal credit for it. Just this would have saved the whole position.

Then I did some experiments, I rolled the short strike up and doubled contracts on 10/15 for about $10 credit.. then on 10/18 I rolled those 2 contracts to -850/800, still on same 10/22 expiry (that's tomorrow!) This brought in additional credit. At this point, collected credit was $3330.

Bought back the spread today for 0.50, so $100 (2 spreads). The whole thing brought in $3230, with 10k of margin reserved.

What did I learn?
- rolling wide spreads out and down can be done, if you react quickly. Ideally do this when short strike is ATM or slightly before. ATM strikes have highest extrinsic value. But then I lost one week of income on this position, which I would have gotten with a less risky one.

Stock price shot back up, so I didn't have do to do any more adjustments.. did those just to collect some more credit. But I do believe this is a valuable tool for learning, and I intend to do this again.. Actually I would have been fine if I had not done anything because sp came back, closing price on 10/15 was >800. But that was not my intention.

- I had a plan taking on a risky trade, and I executed on that plan and it held. I think this is important. Plan was to roll out and down if short strike goes ATM.

- and make notes when you do a roll! easy to add a note in Wingman, things to note: stock price at roll, option IV at roll, strikes etc, reasons for rolling.

Any ideas? I'd like to be using more like 3/4th of the cash than 1/2, but the best I've got right now is to open on Monday for Friday expiration, and use the 5 day resolution window to close the position. Of course I risk an early / arbitrary close by my broker and they might not like me using that 5 day window repeatedly, but if I'm using defined risk positions, why should there be any restriction as long as I'm backing these defined risk positions with cash - not margin?

The odd thing about this - I can use more of my cash and assets in the retirement accounts than I can the brokerage account with margin.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but you should be able to use 100% of the cash you have on hand, that doesn't dip into margin at all. (I think you should be able to use 150% of the cash on hand.) Do you not have any equities in this account? Because they should add to your margin ability.

So there must be something else going on with your account. (They have balance calculations messed up, or you have positions that are holding more than you think they should.)

Responding to @vwman111 (I couldn't find the original post)...

I don't have any specific NOT-ADVICE for deep ITM cc, but I do have more of a laundry list of more aggressive and esoteric management techniques. In the end, they all boil down to "take on more risk than you normally would, in order to introduce leverage that will recover the loss more quickly" (of course, you could lose even more, even faster!). Because of that leverage component and exposure to larger, faster losses, the obvious solution to start with is taking the loss (buying out the cc) or taking assignment (sell the shares). Selling the shares may carry tax consequences that makes that well worth avoiding, but considering the obvious solutions may also be the best.

My first test on whether to roll, especially with cc, is the question: would I rather be assigned at my current strike, or would I rather be assigned at whatever I roll to? This is both a time value of money question, as well as actual end result. So maybe you can roll out 1-3 months (instead of 1 or 2 weeks) and get enough better of a strike and good use of the money for that timeframe, that just using a larger time window is a good choice.

I personally have gone out 2 years on a roll to save a position and determined for myself that was a mistake. I've corrected it since, but it did take me a year to find that resolution - mostly it was education on my part, rather than inability to implement the solution once I knew it.

There is the Wheel, an actual options trading strategy. Take the assignment (turn in shares, receive cash), and start selling aggressive puts, looking to collect good premiums while also seeking assignment on the puts (turn cash back into shares).

There is taking assignment and keeping the cash to back put credit spreads, rather than sticking to cash secured puts.

There is turning the current collection of covered calls into a collection of call credit spreads. I've done this previously on the put side, where I turned a collection of cash secured puts into 4x put credit spreads with a $200 wide spread.

And then some more exotic ideas:
- split rolls
- flip rolls
- split flip rolls

Split rolls would be turning 1 current contract into 2 or more new contracts. I.e. - roll 5x covered call into 10x (or 15x, 20x, ..) covered call. Those additional calls provide a lot of incremental premium that you can turn into a better strike (a lot better strike quite often). They also increase your leverage as gains and losses now accumulate faster (more contracts).

Flip rolls might be most interesting to you right now. A flip roll is rolling a covered call into a cash secured put. As an example an 800 strike call might flip into a 1000 strike put (about $100 ITM in both cases). You'd do this flip roll because you believe strongly enough that the shares are going up from here, that you'd like them to be coming to you rather than running away (you think that the $1000 strike put will go OTM before the $800 strike call).

The split flip is combining the two - so maybe split flip 1 800 strike cc into 4 950 (guessing) strike puts. The point is it'll be a better put strike than just simply being the same distance ITM.

Or convert the calls or puts into spreads.

And of course - mixing any of these together :)

With all of these more risky and exotic ideas, I would definitely be getting the best strike improvement available (subject to my net credit rule). The whole purpose here is to dig out of a hole, so the less deep (better strike) that you can get to, then the sooner you can climb out of the hole.

Mechanically the tricky bit here is that you need the backing for the new position you're changing into. So changing calls to puts - instead of shares to back the covered calls, now you need cash to back the puts that you didn't previously need. So you'll have to figure that part out.

Interestingly to me, those mechanics become an argument in favor of put and call spreads - both use cash as backing, so flipping a batch of put spreads into a batch of call spreads doesn't have this backing consideration.

There will be more as well - most any and everything that is a position you like, and if its a winner will offset the loss in the current position will do the job. Pulling back a bit, this is what all of these other management strategies are doing - replacing a losing position with a position you think more likely to win, and in doing so will offset a loss with a similar gain, and end up about where you started.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you should be able to use 100% of the cash you have on hand, that doesn't dip into margin at all. (I think you should be able to use 150% of the cash on hand.) Do you not have any equities in this account? Because they should add to your margin ability.

So there must be something else going on with your account. (They have balance calculations messed up, or you have positions that are holding more than you think they should.)
This conclusion is also what I arrive at. I do have TSLA shares along with some Jun 2023 calls that I purchased. Those are also 100% owned. If I were able to use 1/2 of their value as additional margin, then I'd be using around 1/3rd of my cash instead of 1/2.

Though the account has margin, there isn't anything I'm doing there that I can't do in an IRA (and AM doing in IRAs), except that I can do less than I can do in the IRA.

I think it's time for a phone call with Fidelity - maybe they can explain what's going on.

This conclusion is also what I arrive at. I do have TSLA shares along with some Jun 2023 calls that I purchased. Those are also 100% owned. If I were able to use 1/2 of their value as additional margin, then I'd be using around 1/3rd of my cash instead of 1/2.

Though the account has margin, there isn't anything I'm doing there that I can't do in an IRA (and AM doing in IRAs), except that I can do less than I can do in the IRA.

I think it's time for a phone call with Fidelity - maybe they can explain what's going on.
Verify that your options level is appropriate in the account. If you aren't setup with level 2+/3, depends on how your broker calls it, a BPS isn't treated as a spread, but as a cash secured put; so they would gobble up cash quickly. (The other issue I had at E*TRADE is that my TSLA shares I transferred in to my margin account were flagged as cash and not marginable. So I had to have them mark them as marginable.)

I am one of those holding 860cc expiring tomorrow. One of the ideas I am considering is letting them exercise and then buying ATM Leaps with something like half the proceeds, and using the other half as cash to cover more contracts (like bps or contracts). Am I wrong in thinking that I am still covering myself for an increase in sp with leaps, while maintaining or even increasing my ability to sell options with the extra cash?
Nope - you're right.

A good way to think about this idea, as well as calculate it, is to tally it up as deltas. Owning 100 shares provides you with 100 delta, meaning that each $1 increase or decrease in the share price will generate $100 change in your value.

A deep ITM call might have a delta of .90, thus purchasing one of these contracts will get you 90 delta.

From what I've seen previously if I go out to the furthest expiration date and look for the option selling for 1/2 of the share price (shares at $900 - I'd be looking for the leap selling for ~$450) then I end up fairly deep ITM and can purchase 2 leaps for the price of 100 shares, and get around .75-.80 delta on the contracts, or 150-160 delta between the 2 contracts.

The key here - are you buying the contracts as share replacements with a bit of leverage, or are you buying the contracts speculating on the future price? All of my thoughts here are in the leap-as-share-replacement category.

Using the option chain at this moment, shares at $890, the 500 strike Jan 2024 call can be purchased for $465. So maybe the 530 strike for $445. The 530 strike has a delta of .8537 - call it .85, so 2 of them will get you the equivalent of 170 shares (counted in deltas). This 2 for 1 exchange doesn't free up any cash though - it just turns it all into leaps that gets you roughly 1.7x leverage.

So maybe you buy 5 contracts to replace 300 shares. That'd get you 5*.85 = 425 delta instead of 300 and leave you with $44k in left over cash. Or maybe go 4 contracts to replace 300 shares, getting you 340 delta (.85*4) to replace 300 delta, and leaving you with $89k in cash left over for other purposes.

You are actually increasing your exposure to moves up in the share price (to the degree that you want to) and getting some cash left over for other purposes.

You are ALSO paying some time value. Those 530 strike calls that you pay $445 premium for is the equivalent of buying shares at $975, or $85 over the price available today. THink of that $85 in time value as the interest you pay on the loan to own 170 shares using the cash that would purchase 100 shares. You can recoup that $85 in time value via covered call sales if you'd like. Or you'll come out ahead when the shares go up past $975.

You can (will) also roll or sell these calls well before expiration. Say 3-6 months? Somewhere around there you'll find that around 1/2 of the time value is gone. Which also means that you can recover half of that time value that you paid up front.

You might also find that the shares have gone up so much that the time value is down to roughly 0, so you might as well hold to expiration, and you won't care in the slightest that you paid $85 for the privilege (you'll be pretty excited in fact).

You can be more ATM as you mention. The leaps are less share replacement in that case and more speculative, but this stuff is all on a continuum anyway. I got deep ITM on my purchases to minimize the amount of time value I'm paying for, as well as better enabling sales of covered calls.

I got a couple of fed calls sometime ago and I wasn't not able to figure out why because I had enough cash and limited margin enabled. I noticed that it was happening with spreads when I closed them and then reopen more later on that same day. Now I don't day trade them. Please let us know what you find.

Verify that your options level is appropriate in the account. If you aren't setup with level 2+/3, depends on how your broker calls it, a BPS isn't treated as a spread, but as a cash secured put; so they would gobble up cash quickly. (The other issue I had at E*TRADE is that my TSLA shares I transferred in to my margin account were flagged as cash and not marginable. So I had to have them mark them as marginable.)
This at least isn't an issue - the account is level 4 (they haven't approved me for level 5 yet - I should apply again and see if they'll do it now :D).

I suppose its possible that the math is closer to margin secured puts - my recent position was 4x as many spreads as I could sell cash secured puts, where I'd like to be more like 8x. Throw in some margin help from the shares - maybe its not ridiculous that the overall margin position is being calculated as if these were margin backed puts rather than put spreads (at least in this account).

And maybe I just haven't been reading the information correctly. When this arose previously (position has since been closed) I had an SMA balance that was negative. I interpreted that as a margin call, but I've never actually gotten an email or a message about a margin call. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I've just been reading the info wrong (wouldn't that be nice).

I got a couple of fed calls sometime ago and I wasn't not able to figure out why because I had enough cash and limited margin enabled. I noticed that it was happening with spreads when I closed them and then reopen more later on that same day. Now I don't day trade them. Please let us know what you find.

My one fed call was sort of similar, in that it involved day trading with contracts that had significant premium attached to them. Hard to believe that this was only early last year (feels so long ago), but I rolled some deep ITM short calls, and fat fingered the trade to either the wrong strike or date, don't remember, and rolled them again on the same day.

That was an interesting lesson.