Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind also that the 17th is a quarterly expiration. Meaning weeklies, monthlies and quarterly options expirations, so there will be very high volume with the option chain for that week.
I don't like to pay for time if I am buying options for a gamble or "YOLO" as the kids say, so I will be looking for something on Tuesday or Wednesday if I am going to buy anything on the call side next week.
Cheers
It was sort of a 2-fold strategy. I created these positions during a dip so I am sitting on a small profit at the moment. Thanks for the info about the quarterly expiration, sometimes I forget the other things which affect options prices.

Probably a naive question but is there a reason NOT to buy some calls? Even if 12/9 doesn't happen (I'm a big believer in it, please don't be mad at me folks), with giga shanghai just churning out cars, Elon stressing not to worry about getting every car delivered by the end of the Q but to reduce costs, talk of 900k 2021 production/deliveries, Berlin on the cusp of opening, quickly followed by Texas....BAF imo (@SpaceCash where you at?)...
I would hope nobody would give you crap for buying into it… so long as we don’t turn this thread into another debate/ discussion about it.

I agree about it being a good time to be long in general, but my 12/9 spreads are a bit crazy. I have some 1270/ 1290 spreads because why wouldn’t it hit 1290 on 12/9? As I said… planning on derisking/ using house money as we get closer.

as per Elon's leaked e-mail, this time end of quarter push will focus on cost reduction, instead of delivering as many cars as possible.

So Q4 might not be quite such a blowout as expected. I'm still expecting a record, but it might not be a huge beat. Tread carefully.
Lol.....I was about to pop in this thread to post the opposite. And I think that speaks to a large chance of reversion to our traditional sell-the-news format for 4Q earnings.

$1400 price targets abound.
And PE ratio absolutely will reset to something quite rational once earnings are out, regardless of beat size.
And SP has shown incredible strength thru Elon's selling, both structurally and emotionally. How does the market not freak out when Elon sells $17B worth of shares?

This is the kind of headspace Wall Street wants us in. Quite ready to believe a 20% swing is looming in either direction. For now, my money is on a slow rise to $1300 and a sell-the-news test of $1000 into February. Macros aren't looking negative enough for MM's to take SP below $1000 before the 4Q call.

Anywho, I'm looking to close out all my 12/3 BPS today if we pop back up in the last few minutes of trading. Jump into $840/$940 BPS for next week once we dip Tuesday or Wednesday.

Is it just me or are the premiums for 12/10 calls sort of ridiculous? For example you can role a 12/3 $1205 to a 12/10 $1295 for a credit. A $90 strike improvement seems unheard of...

Are they inflated because of all the 12/9 talk?
Was the same a few weeks back, normally you can get $10-15 strike improvement fro free, but it was $95 then too

as per Elon's leaked e-mail, this time end of quarter push will focus on cost reduction, instead of delivering as many cars as possible.

So Q4 might not be quite such a blowout as expected. I'm still expecting a record, but it might not be a huge beat. Tread carefully.
I understand his point (cost-efficiency vs. wasting resources beating arbitrary calendar targets).

He might have phrased his tweet better, but Elon is Elon. The SP seemed to lose steam after his tweet today saying Q4 deliveries would be "very intense, just slightly less than in the past." Of course people are focusing on the "less than in the past". Still up 5% for the day so 🤷‍♂️

I have been thinking the same, the BPS pay better than a straight put, they obviously will pay less than a weekly BPS ...
How does a BPS pay better than a put when you have to buy the long leg? The thought is that if I am able to allow the trade to expire worthless, the long leg debit isn't returned, just the short leg premium. Sorry, I have a momentary mental block :confused:

I have been thinking the same, the BPS pay better than a straight put, they obviously will pay less than a weekly BPS but you don't have to deal with the trading headache every week.

I remember you sold some shares at $1200 have you bought them back?

No I am keeping that cash for helping to buy a house (here the land itself is worth $2m) but always planned on selling puts or BPS against it until sometime next year when ready to buy. Of course long dated BPS could delay that if stock tanks and stays low right away.

I don't even know if the pay is less than weekly play for me. I truly believe TSLA could drop (or go up) 30% in any given week and would never consistently sell weekly BPS closer than that to current share price. Meanwhile I am almost just as comfortable going 35% OTM for a year out. So premiums will be better since I'm not going way OTM for a year out.

Reactions: juanmedina
How does a BPS pay better than a put when you have to buy the long leg? The thought is that if I am able to allow the trade to expire worthless, the long leg debit isn't returned, just the short leg premium. Sorry, I have a momentary mental block
Overly simplified:
A naked $1000 put will in essence require $100k collareral (100 shares * $1000).

A BPS -1000/+900 will require $10k collateral. So for the same 100k backing, you could sell one naked put, or 10 spreads.

Spreads add leverage. You get a better payout, but you are increasing risk.

A -1000/+990 spread would only require 1k collateral. So you could sell 100 of those with the same 100k.

Lol.....I was about to pop in this thread to post the opposite. And I think that speaks to a large chance of reversion to our traditional sell-the-news format for 4Q earnings.

$1400 price targets abound.
And PE ratio absolutely will reset to something quite rational once earnings are out, regardless of beat size.
And SP has shown incredible strength thru Elon's selling, both structurally and emotionally. How does the market not freak out when Elon sells $17B worth of shares?

This is the kind of headspace Wall Street wants us in. Quite ready to believe a 20% swing is looming in either direction. For now, my money is on a slow rise to $1300 and a sell-the-news test of $1000 into February. Macros aren't looking negative enough for MM's to take SP below $1000 before the 4Q call.

Anywho, I'm looking to close out all my 12/3 BPS today if we pop back up in the last few minutes of trading. Jump into $840/$940 BPS for next week once we dip Tuesday or Wednesday.
Soo... you're expecting a 20% move upwards, but selling bps $200/15% below stock price?
What am I not getting here?

Reactions: bkp_duke
I understand his point (cost-efficiency vs. wasting resources beating arbitrary calendar targets).

He might have phrased his tweet better, but Elon is Elon. The SP seemed to lose steam after his tweet today saying Q4 deliveries would be "very intense, just slightly less than in the past." Of course people are focusing on the "less than in the past". Still up 5% for the day so 🤷‍♂️
Absolutely agree. This whole quarter-over-quarter cycle is idiocy.

Reactions: FS_FRA
So is this nutso stock going to sell off tomorrow with Elon hitting the bid? I mean it has to, right? YOYO
I'm expecting something similar to last week. Elon has been selling the same 934,091 of 10b5-1 shares to pay taxes on those he exercises and so far always on a Monday or Tuesday. I'm not sure we'll see a Form 4 for today and if so then it's highly likely that Elon will be selling tomorrow. Hedge Funds know this pattern and will be ready to jump on board with any selling to push the stock price down again and profit from the volatility.

I'm planning to close my BPS (mostly up 65% from Friday) on the early trading spike and then watch for any weakness. If we get a sell off, I'll reopen my BPS somewhere near the bottom and gain some extra premium. If we don't get a sell off, I'll be reopening the BPS anyway but using slightly higher strikes to harvest more premium (which I would have done anyway).

I'm expecting something similar to last week. Elon has been selling the same 934,091 of 10b5-1 shares to pay taxes on those he exercises and so far always on a Monday or Tuesday. I'm not sure we'll see a Form 4 for today and if so then it's highly likely that Elon will be selling tomorrow. Hedge Funds know this pattern and will be ready to jump on board with any selling to push the stock price down again and profit from the volatility.

I'm planning to close my BPS (mostly up 65% from Friday) on the early trading spike and then watch for any weakness. If we get a sell off, I'll reopen my BPS somewhere near the bottom and gain some extra premium. If we don't get a sell off, I'll be reopening the BPS anyway but using slightly higher strikes to harvest more premium (which I would have done anyway).
Volume today has been below average. I give it less than even chance of Elon having sold anything today. On days he sells, the stock moves feel spastic. Today wasn't like that.

On (short-trading-day) Black Friday, I completely reset my TSLA position, so end result: I am just long TSLA with no options (for now).

Was holding -c825s TSLA for Feb22 that I had been slowly rolling up (from -c800) by $5 increments since we left the doldrums a few months ago (only ever rolling for a credit). Was painful to watch the stock rocket to $1243 from the sidelines, knowing my shares would be called away for so much less.

Luckily (complete dumb luck), I took a flyer (suggestion of Mr. Wonderful) on shorting JETS the prior Friday (via puts, since in my IRA, I can't short). Bought a boatload of ITM puts (@$22) and watched them almost expire worthless (Mon - Thu). Then came Omicron and JETS took a nosedive Friday morning. Was a jackpot of something like 512% in one week. Ridiculous. Perhaps not prudent, but I took the windfall and I bought back my TSLA calls and some more chairs with the proceeds and am coming out of the ether thinking where to go next other than HODLing. BPS? CCs?

Strange to be back at option square zero again. Still bullish, of course, on the stock but willing to trade around volitility.

I bought some DITM LEAPS in the 500s during the dip that have done very well. I went DITM to squeeze out the time value as much as possible, as it was ridiculous as you noted. Only got about 100% leverage (control twice the number of TSLA shares then if I bought TSLA straight up) but c'mon, we are spoiled here, this is an excellent result for what I calculated as extremely low risk.
Very helpful data. Mine were bought on the cheap lol. Highest strikes available. Lesson learned.

forgot to hit send on this at at 10am this morning, I'm sitting on 1 - 12/3 BPS 900/795 that was up over 70% (now close to 80%) and debating next steps. BCS premiums are not rich enough for me and I'm not touching strikes less than 1300s. If we would have gotten a pullback this arvo or get one tomorrow morning, I'd be happy to write more BPS around $900 but I'm not standing in front of the upside train this week or next.

Travelling again, but this time for pleasure, so didn't get to watch the ticker closely today.

Set some orders at market open to close positions out for 12/3 at ~80% profit and they all filled. Then conditionals were placed for 12/10 to open BPS. Probably could have gotten better premiums, but opened 920/970 and 930/980 BPS for ~$4.50 - $5.00 premiums. Should hit my weekly income goals with those if able to close them out at 80% next week, so I'm happy with those trades.