Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what the reason is for selling BPS so far out in expiration? When and for how much did you sell them for? What was the SP at the time?

I cannot remember when I sold them but at the time the return was 50%. The reason for selling them is that you don't have to be glued to the screen everyday watching the SP going up and down. However the the return is lower If you can consistently sell weekly BPS for a profit. I like to use many strategies so I do a little bit of everything.

I'm glad we have this thread. What an oasis of calm on days like this, when in the main thread everyone with nothing to say has to say something. I get that everyone is excited, but I gave up plowing through all those pages without much content (let alone moderate them).
This thread is far more sane and productive IMO. Thanks for helping make it so!

I'm glad we have this thread. What an oasis of calm on days like this, when in the main thread everyone with nothing to say has to say something. I get that everyone is excited, but I gave up plowing through all those pages without much content (let alone moderate them).
This makes me feel more normal to have surrendered reading if you surrendered moderating it.

I’m already starting to feel the heat of my 1310 CCs.
Sold 1400 CCs 7/1 today which is a position I feel safer.

I guess If the momentum continues tomorrow I might flip roll them to put with the same premium if we get near 1300 and there are no dips. If the raise is in the 4-5% instead I might roll up and out for next week. I will see tomorrow. What are the odds of having another >100 move on 2 consecutive days? Higher than I used to think, I know.

Was out running a half marathon this morning so I didn’t have time to BTC and open new positions this morning. I ended up BTC my all my previous >85% profitable put contracts in the early afternoon and STO 3 different put strike price at 20x -p945 14/01 10x -p1045 14/01 and 5x -p1145 7/01. I open smaller contracts for the agressive puts and have fun managing them. Ready to roll them like I rolled my -p1135 of November till I closed them for a profit today.

On Friday I was looking to open 900/980 BPS and would have typically done these as weeklies for 7/1 that were getting around $6.50 credit at the time. But I ended up going for the 170 x 14/1 expiry at around $12.50 credit as I noticed these required a bit less margin. The larger credit would also provide more runway in the event of a big up move.

This has turned out to be a good decision as the 14/1 900/980 BPS are now worth under $1.90, around 85% profit. Whereas if I'd gone with the 7/1 900/980 BPS they would be worth around $0.45 for a 93% gain but I would have $77,000 less profit at this point. So it can pay to look at a further out expiry when expecting a large move up, rather than just sticking with weeklies.

I'll likely close out these BPS in Tuesday's trading if I see momentum waning and look for a re-entry point with a 7/1 BPS a bit closer to the money for more overall premium.

The other benefit of this big move up is that my Portfolio margin seems to have righted itself so that I can now sell BCS with a negative margin impact rather than the large positive margin of previous weeks. So I'll be looking to open a few hundred BCS for this week, around 1350/1450 at this level or higher if we keep moving up. But I'm prepared to wait until it looks like we're approaching a local peak.

Happy New Year to everyone here and what a fabulous start to 2022!

Today was my first day back to trading since Dec 14th - was traveling for work and then vacation, so as I had mentioned before, took a break from trading. I had rolled out all my positions to Jan 7 or Jan 14, 2022 before signing off for the year. When I rolled out the BPSs in my accounts, I took big losses for 2021 in the investment account as well as the IRA account. I had kept the high strike prices on the BPS, as it was fully expected that Tesla would beat P&D targets! Further, I used the uncommitted cash in the IRA to purchase some safe long calls with 550 strike for Jan & Feb. (Copying my previous message below for reference).

Well, today was such a great day of vindication in our faith in Tesla's performance! I closed out all my BPSs for Jan-7 as well as Jan-14 at 85-95% profit - these were 50X each of -p1010/+p800 and -p1050/+p850. In addition, I also closed out the long calls for 14Jan @550 strike price for 90% profit. Total realized profits were significantly >500K even after taking the losses from Dec into account. Not bad for 'vacation pay' ;). Every time I see these kind of numbers for realized profit in my account - I still can't believe how this is legal! And why the heck did I not know about this sooner in my life!

Anyways, with the SP running this fast, did not open any new BPSs. I am however slowing dipping my toes into CCs and LCCs again. I am one of those here who are now gun-shy about selling calls - my first big week trying out BCS turned out to be the the Hertz run-up week. After taking the massive losses on those positions, I was keeping away from selling calls. But after today's run-up, strikes above 1350 for 7Jan and above 1400 for 14Jan seen reasonable. Also, since I have plenty of stock and LEAPS, planning to sell CCs and LCCs against those instead of BCSs. I opened small positions for 7Jan for -c1360 and 14Jan for -c1420. Lets see if these are safe this time, if not - well that would mean the SP is above 1360 and the rest of my account makes me a very rich lady!

I see everyone here is doing great with being the house and more folks are slowing venturing back to the BCSs and CCs too. Fun times are ahead for all of us - hope 2022 will be even bigger year for TSLA and Tesla than 2021 was!

Have been traveling the last couple of weeks, so not posting much although was trying to keep the trading going. Turned out to be not such a good idea - very difficult to manage positions when you are in a different timezone and brain keeps miscalculating the time when the market closes.

Anyways, I am of the similar mindset - in my case last week Friday I rolled out almost all positions out to Jan 14 for credit. Since that means I closed out the positions for 2021 all at big losses, this is an advantage in taxes for this year. Plus, with holidays coming up we will be traveling and have guests etc. so don't want to worry about managing positions till end of the year. These are all BPS with short strikes at 1050 and 1010 with spread of 200. So currently deeply deeply in the red. It is amazing though how calm I am thanks to this group and all the learnings here!

Anyways, since I am done with trading for rest of the year, the SP is so far down and IV is not that high I decided to use some of my excess cash that is not tied up for the BPS to buy some call options. I’m expecting the stock will recover between now and end-January so choose to go with the ITM February options at 550 strike. The extrinsic cost on these was $6 so seems like a reasonable deal for getting about 2X leverage compared to buying stock.

So hoping for a good recovery for 4Q ER

1138!

waiting to STO 1/14 -p950...

i will be cautiously optimistic for now and stay weekly. Why? It's because i still clearly remember the 1st 3(?) weeks of 2021 where SP spiked from 720+ to 900. I was "earning" my annual salary on a daily basis. Then, SP crashed and it took 9 months to recover. I lost $550k that Jan due to not understanding the mechanics of rolling when under duress. Traumatized rookie!
I would say, there's a key differentiator between early-2021, and now. We have not one but several catalysts ahead.
In early-2021 we barely had any near-term catalysts. Of course, Q4 2020 earnings could've been great, S/X Refresh models would've been out soonish. But they don't compare to the potential earnings beat this time. Not one, but two factories about to open. And, Credit rating upgrade which brings in new buyers. And we also have a potential 4680 catalyst mid-term.

Gotta say, I'm really happy about the diagonal call spread I set up yesterday. Or leap-covered call.

This one is risky in the sense that my long option is 1100, so if stock drops below that I'm at a loss.. but at 1200 I'm at max profit for this cycle and will close both options if it's breached.

I'm missing out on gains above 1200, but I'm also not losing anything there. And my core shares will still enjoy those gains.

Gotta buy some leaps with lower strike prices and longer expiration, and make use of this spread. 😊

it seems a good way to be on both sides of trades.

Last edited:
I would say, there's a key differentiator between early-2021, and now. We have not one but several catalysts ahead.
In early-2021 we barely had any near-term catalysts. Of course, Q4 2020 earnings could've been great, S/X Refresh models would've been out soonish. But they don't compare to the potential earnings beat this time. Not one, but two factories about to open. And, Credit rating upgrade which brings in new buyers. And we also have a potential 4680 catalyst mid-term.
I agree with everything you said, but I've lost count of the number of times the investors on TMC have said the same thing since 2014, only to watch the stock trade sideways or drop 30%. It continues to amaze me how we can have all this great information, and see all the positive catalysts, but "the market" sells off TSLA anyway (this phenomenon almost caused me to lose everything a few years ago). We are always right in the long term, but 3-6 months can be very hard to predict beyond the usual climb into earnings (buy the rumor). Just be careful, especially after earnings.