Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished my day at work, looked at the stock price while trading in my Model Y with steering problem for a Herz Nissan Rogue rental. It felt like the world collapsed around me. Had 10% margin left and tomorrow will be margin called like never. Please share your thoughts on how to optimize my margin situation. Already got ChefBoyardee tip n tricks and that was my order of thought, let me know if you’d change the order or do something different.

I have 10x 18/2/2022 -p925 with 325k margin impairment
10x 18/3/2022 -p930 with 365k margin impairment
5x 14/04/2022 -p1000 with 220k margin impairment
10x 20/01/2023 -p1500 with 950k margin impairment
1x 11/2/2022 -p910 with 25k margin impairment.

With the last week my free margin went from 1M to 200k, not even 10% left from the 50% I had 2 weeks ago. With the drop from today I will be in margin call tomorrow, probably around 500k

On 10/1/2022, I filled the transfer form and I am transferring 500k in stock from another account to increase my margin power. I have some 70k cash in personnal accounts that was intended to buy kid investments REEE.

I closed My CCs today that were +85% 24x 4/2/2022 1285CCs. Could sell new agressive CCs to improve margin. Bought 3 x LEAPs expiring 2024. 500,1000 and 1400 strikes.

My next steps were
1) Transfer 500k of equity to my trading account for margin power, the process is ongoing and the funds should arrive beginning of next week.
2) Transfer 70k of free cash from personal account to business trading account
3) Buy a 20/1/2023 p1000 to convert into a BPS LEAP and forget about any profit that could have been made with that option but free another 500k of margin
Or close it at a 200k loss already and use that 950k margin to do 30% OTM weeklies and build back slowly over time.
4)Sell an agressive CC in the 900s against all my shares
5) close all my positions and buy LEAPS?

Let me know if something else could be done or a better order of proceeding.

My thoughts are with all the one with BPS drawning to oblivion. These are difficult times.
Looking at your short strikes, wondering if any are straight puts. If for instance the 10x 925 is a short put, you could move it to a 2x 1250 and be cash neutral and generate margin. I did something similar today.

Friends, what a roller coaster this month has been. I started the month up $40k but, after a tumultuous few weeks and after finally having to take some lumps on a 1050/950 BPS this morning, I finish the month up $1k. Like many of us here, I was so confident in Tesla’s execution and the markets interpretation of their execution that I did not foresee us being under $1200 after ER (let alone back to $8xx). I realize now that I was trading in a vacuum without fully considering the macro picture. I think many of us will reflect on this time and think about all of the “signs” that indicated a massive correction would hit the major indices (like all of the snake oil being pedaled in the crypto space, Nadella selling, Elon selling, Chamath selling, inflation, persistent supply chain issues, Tivoboy’s trip back from the future, etc…). I managed to ignore most of the signs by holding strong to my conviction that the market would have no choice but to see what we see in Tesla. A sustainable energy giant growing at 50%/yr with enviable margins and a few newly minted giga cash presses. I mean, if real interest rates are negative and inflation is at 7%, where else would one put their money? Sadly, the massive turn around we were all expecting has not materialized yet and once again I am reminded that the goal is not to simply know the rules of the game but to make the rules of the game. To be the house. @Yoona put it nicely up thread but I was definitely more of the gambler and less of the house this month. Lesson learned.

In any case, I managed to survive the month relatively unscathed but battle hardened. (I have some bald spots on my beard that need tending to but no worse for the wear). Funny enough, my reptile brain was tempted to open additional positions today to start to make up for this crappy month, but when that thought reached my cortex it was promptly shut down (it was definitely that and not my wife screaming at me to shutdown my computer). At this point, I think I’m going to take a break for a week and reevaluate my strategy going into next month to ensure consistent success. Thanks again to everyone for being so willing to share their experiences and for providing their insights; you saved this noob a lot of heartache.

Btw, did anyone else hear that Tesla may have supply chain issues this year? (@BornToFly you called it buddy; Elon usually gets a pass from me for his overall brilliance but IMO he was a net negative on the call and it left me wondering how it would’ve gone had he just left it to Zach and company to handle it). C’est la vie.

TL; DR: The market is rife with idiots and I’m starting to think I may be one of them. The house always wins. Be the house.
I totally agree and thanks for the honesty. It's just a matter of timing until TSLA gets back to it's winning ways given it's bright future.

Premium selling provides lots of opportunity but being the house can also lead to the house of pain. It's all hindsight but sometimes it's best to fold 'em versus roll 'em. A good rule of thump is to never love a stock, a trade, or just use one trading strategy.

Funny how we can convince ourselves we know an outcome. It might be a trader boundary violation to be a fan of a company and then try to trade that company's stock. Some prop firms say the best traders are those that literally know nothing - no market experience, no preconceived notions of trading, or awareness of stock market news. It's counter intuitive but that's the illogical human psyche.

Friends, what a roller coaster this month has been. I started the month up $40k but, after a tumultuous few weeks and after finally having to take some lumps on a 1050/950 BPS this morning, I finish the month up $1k. Like many of us here, I was so confident in Tesla’s execution and the markets interpretation of their execution that I did not foresee us being under $1200 after ER (let alone back to $8xx). I realize now that I was trading in a vacuum without fully considering the macro picture. I think many of us will reflect on this time and think about all of the “signs” that indicated a massive correction would hit the major indices (like all of the snake oil being pedaled in the crypto space, Nadella selling, Elon selling, Chamath selling, inflation, persistent supply chain issues, Tivoboy’s trip back from the future, etc…). I managed to ignore most of the signs by holding strong to my conviction that the market would have no choice but to see what we see in Tesla. A sustainable energy giant growing at 50%/yr with enviable margins and a few newly minted giga cash presses. I mean, if real interest rates are negative and inflation is at 7%, where else would one put their money? Sadly, the massive turn around we were all expecting has not materialized yet and once again I am reminded that the goal is not to simply know the rules of the game but to make the rules of the game. To be the house. @Yoona put it nicely up thread but I was definitely more of the gambler and less of the house this month. Lesson learned.

In any case, I managed to survive the month relatively unscathed but battle hardened. (I have some bald spots on my beard that need tending to but no worse for the wear). Funny enough, my reptile brain was tempted to open additional positions today to start to make up for this crappy month, but when that thought reached my cortex it was promptly shut down (it was definitely that and not my wife screaming at me to shutdown my computer). At this point, I think I’m going to take a break for a week and reevaluate my strategy going into next month to ensure consistent success. Thanks again to everyone for being so willing to share their experiences and for providing their insights; you saved this noob a lot of heartache.

Btw, did anyone else hear that Tesla may have supply chain issues this year? (@BornToFly you called it buddy; Elon usually gets a pass from me for his overall brilliance but IMO he was a net negative on the call and it left me wondering how it would’ve gone had he just left it to Zach and company to handle it). C’est la vie.

TL; DR: The market is rife with idiots and I’m starting to think I may be one of them. The house always wins. Be the house.
Thanks for sharing. It’s definitely been a month for the ages.

All said and done I’ll end being down about 100K(realized and does not have any rolls) this month unless we get a nice Green Day. This is probably about 2 months of my average monthly gains so will recover but I’m not going to chase. I was feeling down at the end of the day but like they say no pain no gain. I did de-risk both our IRA accounts and moved mostly to cash yesterday so that definitely helped reduce the pain by at least 50K. Plan is to aggressively sell puts in the IRAs going forward and some bull call spreads.

After this month I doubt anybody will question if TSLA option market will dry up. I’m feeling positive especially after going on a nice drive in my Tesla this evening.

Looking at your short strikes, wondering if any are straight puts. If for instance the 10x 925 is a short put, you could move it to a 2x 1250 and be cash neutral and generate margin. I did something similar today.
Does your broker allow you to an uneven roll? As in rolling the 10X to 2X or would that be two separate orders instead of one order/two transactions?

I don’t think I can do this on IB. I might have to look into this.

Does your broker allow you to an uneven roll? As in rolling the 10X to 2X or would that be two separate orders instead of one order/two transactions?

I do this on IB.

Now I have to confess, I don't know how to setup the ticket on TWS. I always used the app and started using TWS full-time only couple of months ago and didn't explore the full functionality. In a pinch today, I placed the order from my mobile.

Reactions: vikings123
I could do something similar with the 10 x -p1500 20/1/2023 to 5x -p2250 19/1/2024
Free half of my margin. I used to think TSLA would be $3000 by 2023. Now I am worried it will be $300. Times change so fast.

I do this on IB.

Now I have to confess, I don't know how to setup the ticket on TWS. I always used the app and started using TWS full-time only couple of months ago and didn't explore the full functionality. In a pinch today, I placed the order from my mobile.

I would love to know how to do this in IBKR. I have some -950/+800 expiring tomorrow that I have to deal with . One thought was to roll to half as many but twice the width and reset the midpoint. I don't have the margin room to just close them all and reopen new ones. I spent a bunch of time in TWS rollover tool trying to figure it out but can't see how to do it. I don't really use the app for trades, just to check balances and positions. Maybe I'll have a poke around.

I would love to know how to do this in IBKR. I have some -950/+800 expiring tomorrow that I have to deal with . One thought was to roll to half as many but twice the width and reset the midpoint. I don't have the margin room to just close them all and reopen new ones. I spent a bunch of time in TWS rollover tool trying to figure it out but can't see how to do it. I don't really use the app for trades, just to check balances and positions. Maybe I'll have a poke around.

You need to do something asap.. I got assigned on Wednesday for some ITM puts which I was planning to roll..

Do not wait until expiry day!

You need to do something asap.. I got assigned on Wednesday for some ITM puts which I was planning to roll..

Do not wait until expiry day!

What was the strike of the puts that got assigned? It’s strange this happened on Wednesday, before earnings. Even puts for 1/28 that were deep ITM had quite some extrinsic value left (for instance almost $15 on puts that were 100 points ITM). Anyone exercising those puts could have made more money selling their puts and shares on the open market.

Got a margin warning from IBKR this morning.

Related to 15x 4/2 -900/+700

Anyone with experience at IBKR (@Drezil - do you still trade on IBKR here in Europe?) here able to offer some not-advice on how IBKR acts with 1 week from expiry? Prefer the expert's opinion here, before calling them.

Also, non-advice appreciated on ideas to fix this, I'm thinking:

1. roll out as far as possible for min. credit on open of trading, keeping 900/700
2. roll out really safe to -700/+500 as far as required, even for a debit?
3. how does buying shitput work in relation to BPS @ iBKR? Also, at what strike should the shot-put be?

Thanks, and apologies for asking here things that might be hidden in the great archive of knowledge that is this thread.

Pretty stressed out. Never had a margin call before.

What was the strike of the puts that got assigned? It’s strange this happened on Wednesday, before earnings. Even puts for 1/28 that were deep ITM had quite some extrinsic value left (for instance almost $15 on puts that were 100 points ITM). Anyone exercising those puts could have made more money selling their puts and shares on the open market.

It wasnt $tsla - but $rblx $100 puts - just wanted to point out that ITM puts might be assigned early. :)

Anyone with experience at IBKR (@Drezil - do you still trade on IBKR here in Europe?) here able to offer some not-advice on how IBKR acts with 1 week from expiry? Prefer the expert's opinion here, before calling them.

1. roll out as far as possible for min. credit on open of trading, keeping 900/700
3. how does buying shitput work in relation to BPS @ iBKR? Also, at what strike should the shot-put be?

Thanks, and apologies for asking here things that might be hidden in the great archive of knowledge that is this thread.

Shitputs work wonders. I've bought 10% OTM and they freed up a decent of maintenance margin. The only prob is you are essentially then just paying money to hope the margin call goes away when the stock goes back up. If we keep going down it's going to hurt a lot more.

Use Optiontrader. You'll have to set up each leg manually there, but you can do pretty much anything you like.

Reactions: generalenthu

as long as it's just a warning, you don't _have_ to do anything.. although advisable to do something.

IBKR will not issue a margin call per se, instead they may liquidate something from your portfolio if maintenance margin goes negative.. and it seems to be pretty random what they do.

• Helpful
Reactions: JustMe and FS_FRA
as long as it's just a warning, you don't _have_ to do anything.. although advisable to do something.

IBKR will not issue a margin call per se, instead they may liquidate something from your portfolio if maintenance margin goes negative.. and it seems to be pretty random what they do.

You are right - it's just a warning. In fact in the warning they specifically state that they do not issue margin calls, they simply liquidate automatically.

Do you know if - in my scenario with 15 contracts - they would liquidate only enough contracts to make me margin compliant, or do they liquidate the whole position?

Shitputs work wonders. I've bought 10% OTM and they freed up a decent of maintenance margin. The only prob is you are essentially then just paying money to hope the margin call goes away when the stock goes back up. If we keep going down it's going to hurt a lot more.

Sorry to be dense, would you expand on this? Is there a IBKR TWS tool that let's me calculate what shitputs I should consider?

You are right - it's just a warning. In fact in the warning they specifically state that they do not issue margin calls, they simply liquidate automatically.

Do you know if - in my scenario with 15 contracts - they would liquidate only enough contracts to make me margin compliant, or do they liquidate the whole position?
Only what they deem necessary. I've had then liquidate eg one contract of 10.

but it's some algo that does it, so it could really do anything.

I think there's a way to specify "liquidate last" on some positions, but I haven't realiy looked at it.

Reactions: FS_FRA
Difficult to post this. Sharing here so that hopefully I can get some "not advice" from the experienced traders, and that someone can learn from my mistakes. I had a lot of hubris for growing an account from 60k to nearly 600k over the span of 6 months, but I made a serious mistake by going all-in on Jan 28th positions (when we peaked around P&D report Jan 3rd), and falsely thinking that TSLA could withstand the headwind of a Bear Market. In hindsight going all in on anything was just a poor decision on my part.

I'm down 90% total in my trading account from the pop on Jan 3rd. Trying to salvage something so that I don't take max loss today, which means I need to have orders in at open to reduce the chance of early assignment. Any "not advice" would be greatly appreciated.

Cash in the account is low, but I can increase this by selling off the 100 shares of TSLA and 200 shares of AMD. That should give me enough maneuvering room (I hope). Currently I am planning on doing that, probably before the market opens.

Positions expiring 1/28:
1) BPS 950/1000 - going to try to roll these all the way out to Jan 24 at 1400/1450. Eyeing a debit on these of $5 each, but the spread is very wide. (-13.2 to +23.9 as of this post)
2) BPS 925/975 - going to try to roll these all the way out to Jan 24 at 1400/1450 as well, and also eyeing a debit on these of $5 each. Spread currently -13.7 to +23.9.
3) BPS 900/950 - going for same roll, Jan 24 at 1400/1450, debit of $4. Spread currently -13.7 to +22.45.
4) BPS 780/830 - going to sit on these for now, it's a relatively small number and hoping that they expire worthless.

Also have some 950/1000 exp 2/4, but can't deal with those today unless I get out of this mess successfully.

Specific questions:
A) The debits above are approximately the mid-point of the spreads. Would you consider aiming for closer to Net Bid at open, and hope you get lucky, or take what you can get?
B) I'm rolling all the way to Jan 24 in order to hopefully "get past" the Bear Market we are in (and which I fear will get worse before better). If things improve before then, I would exit the positions early (although I know Theta decays very very slowly this far out). Is this appropriate thinking, or should I be looking at a closer in date?
C) I'm maintaining the 50 pts wide spreads simply because they are giving me the most optimal use of capital at this point. Is that a mistake?
D) I chose the 1400/1450 spreads because it was the best balance, in my mind, of getting past the Bear Market and a "reasonable" projection of what TSLA share price would be within 6 months or less of expiration for these puts. Is that logical?
E) Is planning on sitting on the 780/830 BPS today a bad idea? I'm really concerned about further drop next week, and want to exit this position but not take a loss.

Sorry to be dense, would you expand on this? Is there a IBKR TWS tool that let's me calculate what shitputs I should consider?
Sorry I've never actually had the need to alleviate maintenance margin so I am unaware of a tool that'll do the calcs for you on IBKR. I just grabbed a couple of puts for a short term play and noticed my buying power and maintenace margin jumped up a decent amount (I had 2 short puts at the time).

• Helpful
Reactions: FS_FRA