Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold 590-540 BPS this morning and rolled 775 to 725 CC's. Seems like we are in a channel. Hope 675 holds support for the week. Will be interesting if the weak delivery numbers will be a sell the news and buy the story? If not, do people expect us to test 600 again next week?

It’s definitely within the realm of possibility.
I bought 2x 7/8 $650p for protection just in case.

I’m certainly hoping that they expire worthless

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Why do you expect the market to anticipate a positive P&D report?

Put another way - what about the P&D report do you think the market is positively anticipating?
I expect a P&D report rally either on friday or on monday. Market expectation is low and I'm guesstimating Tesla will beat the low forecasts.

Before P&D report we have FOMO a lot of times, not because of concrete expectations but because of general risen volume in the stock and options market.

I just rolled it up to a 720 and kept this Friday. I locked in most of the profit and gave myself more headroom. And if we go over 720 and I lose the shares, I make another $20k. I now have a 40 wide straddle between those CC and 680 Puts.
i also have 680-720, closing it now (sp still falling and delta went up +6 quick)

1656515137765.png

So about these straddles.. whats the reasoning on going out 4 weeks or a month?

Right now ATM short straddle
for 7/29 pays $115, 30 days to expiry, that's $3.8/day
for 7/8 pays $61, 9 days to expiry, that's $6.7/day

If you're selling straddless to harvest theta, wouldn't a shorter time frame make more sense? Also gives you easier management/rolling if sp makes a big move.

I think I rally next week is possible. Reports are out today that Texas is already making several thousand cars/week. I'm making up numbers, but if they say they are at a 2 Million car/year run rate starting Q3, and will increase it even more during the next 6 months, the stock could climb....

Edit: Changed production to cars/week (not per day).

Last edited:

If you're selling straddless to harvest theta, wouldn't a shorter time frame make more sense? Also gives you easier management/rolling if sp makes a big move.
I chose a random expiration. (Not quite ra'dom since I'm managing a 7/22 position a'd the numbers were fresh in my head) Of course the closer the expiration date the faster the theta decay.

Easier to manage I don't know. If sp swings heavily on weeklies your DITM leg has a very real risk of early assignment. (Which is fine of course if you have the right mindset) On a longer expiration of say a month you can let it ride and have less managing of positions to do.

The monthly straddle seems to me a great low maintenance kind of income provider. Weeklies take up more brain space.

But yeah, short expiration straddles seem a great deal too if you're actively trading anyway.

OK, I initially proposed 4 weeks because it was Tuesday and sunny... no particular reason, but I was fantasising about having 2000 $TSLA shares and playing that straddle for $250k

Indeed, IV is high for next week - I guess the P&D causing that...

I was dwelling on it further and I thought perhaps only committing 50% of shares against covered calls would also provide some insurance against a rally, without the need to purchase LEAPS - puts I worry less about as my genetic bullish disposition to $TSLA biases me to the upside - and from here I think we have more upside than down

The other benefit of doing a 50% trade on this is that you can continue another iteration even if the first batch of shares get called away, meaning you take more of the upside gains. Of course the converse can happen, you can get several down weeks/months, then again, not betting the whole farm allow a second bite at a lower strike and more chance to reverse in the opposite direction

Of course there's a chance than one get encumbered with shares and zero cash, then you sell exclusively calls, and the other side of the coin, it all goes to cash and you go heavy on puts

I very much appreciated @jeewee3000's post above - would be a "post of merit" in the "other" thread, and indeed, entering into a strangle is higher probability of full profits, but the straddle is better, IMO, in times of high volatility

Note that I have no data to back this up, just a feeling in my glands, this is not financial advice, I'm an idiot*, etc.

*101% for sure

Tastytrades suggest doing 45 DTE trades:

Why We Prefer 45 DTE in OptionsMAY 4, 2021

If you spend enough time inside of the tastytrade world, you quickly learn that we prefer to initiate new trades at (or around) 45 DTE in the expiration cycle. This allows us to take advantage of the nonlinear nature of the decay curve over time, where the curve begins to steepen (options decay more quickly) right around 45 DTE. Therefore, by putting on new trades right at this point, we are better able to put ourselves into an advantageous position. As we look to put on a few new trades today in the June cycle with 45 DTE, we’re able to see this principle in action.

Why We Prefer 45 DTE in Options

Looks like closing my ccs for tomorrow early was a bit too early.. but hey profit is profit.
I'll likely do the same.

We're getting decent support late yesterday and today in pre-market compared to macro/beta. I see the macro down day today as funds doing end of quarter clearing to free up funds to purchase at the start of a new quarter tomorrow. For TSLA this could mean a decent up day on Friday if funds view Tesla as a likely winner for Q3. My 660/620 BPS sure hope so.:)

FYI, yesterday after trading hours just got assigned 2 of the 5 -p1200 19/8 contracts I have been rolling for 6 months now that I sold when the SP was 950 and we were in an uptrend. Should have closed them when SP reached 1150 however theta value was still high and they were +25%.
I was planning to address those and roll them out today because I was working like crazy the last days and got my first day off today. I guess I will be working more to pay the interest on that $240,000 on my margin at 4.25% until the SP reaches new highs and be able to trim a little bit of the position. Will roll the rest to December.

My first assignment. 42 DTE

FYI, yesterday after trading hours just got assigned 2 of the 5 -p1200 19/8 contracts I have been rolling for 6 months now that I sold when the SP was 950 and we were in an uptrend. Should have closed them when SP reached 1150 however theta value was still high and they were +25%.
I was planning to address those and roll them out today because I was working like crazy the last days and got my first day off today. I guess I will be working more to pay the interest on that $240,000 on my margin at 4.25% until the SP reaches new highs and be able to trim a little bit of the position. Will roll the rest to December.

My first assignment. 42 DTE
Why can't you just sell the assigned shares and then sell 2 more p1200 and be back in the same position and keep rolling as you were before without paying the margin interest? I did that when I was assigned at 900 and it was pretty much break even.

Why can't you just sell the assigned shares and then sell 2 more p1200 and be back in the same position and keep rolling as you were before without paying the margin interest? I did that when I was assigned at 900 and it was pretty much break even.
The problem is that I can’t choose which shares I want to sell with my broker so I will end up paying taxes on 200 shares with a cost basis of 400. But this is a good point this is not going to be the same tax hit as selling the shares at 1200$ with a greater tax hit.