Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any not advice when you have a BPS and BCS positions 20% away from Friday’s closing strike? Close the BCS for profit into the 5% dip? Would anyone roll the BPS or just sit given the safety margin? I could close everything but this is where the “what do I roll into and is it an improvement” comes into play…
I personally wouldn't be closing a relatively safe position early unless it was very clearly in danger (eg black swan). I prefer to get a read on the market direction for the week and roll up the side that's further from the money for more profit. You can generally get a decent roll up to Wednesday or Thursday and by then the risk of a large move is greatly diminished.

Any not advice when you have a BPS and BCS positions 20% away from Friday’s closing strike? Close the BCS for profit into the 5% dip? Would anyone roll the BPS or just sit given the safety margin? I could close everything but this is where the “what do I roll into and is it an improvement” comes into play…

Not advice: If you have a decent spread, say 100 or 200, then you could consider rolling the short side of the BPS down. For example, if you have a -980/+780 BPS, you might consider rolling to -900 and leaving the +780 intact.

I have -900/700 BPS in play. I'm just going to watch this unfold and then manage the short side if I need to. I do not see us getting anywhere down to the mid 900s (although this post might age like milk...).

Edge Lord.

Something people say when making fun of someone who is trying to be edgy.

I need to sell some shares by close on Tuesday. First time selling shares. I need the funds to close on a house and get out of renting. Should have sold on Friday but I thought Friday's close looked positive for Monday. Wish I could hold through the dip but I've got a hard deadline.
Would some long dated OTM covered calls be a possibility? Cash now with upside protection.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drumheller
There was a period of risk where we didn't know how markets would react, but now in pre-market we see it's a nothing-burger. I'm expecting a >1200 close, seriously

In any case, I too was stressing about my 800/900 BPS - who knows if we didn't get a 30% pre-main drop - but that's off the menu

So I treat my BPS as per a normal week, let the theta drain out, probably tomorrow, as per usual, they'll be 90%+ profitable

Of course this could change, if say Elon put in a Market sell order for 20million shares on RH :oops:

So the sky isn't falling after all. Great. Business as usual.

The not-a-drop -4% we're seeing pre-market indicates huge strength in the stock. My comments last week about a 10% reversal incoming anytime soon on the slightest negative news have therefore not aged well (apologies, @BornToFly ).

Upon the open I plan to see how low we go and roll some BPS closer to the money.

Grain of salt with the above: the price action today is of course related to Elons tweets, but there are plenty of other news items that are very bullish (China numbers, multiple price target increases). So it could be that Elons twitter shenanigans would've caused a 10% drop easily, but that the dip is being bought quicker than usual due to all the good news.

It's not an exact science. My only conclusion is we need more negative news and less positive news for us to fall to $1000.

I've been wondering the same thing. What I've come up with in my head is this. If we are being "conservative" and opening BPS 20+% away, we aren't getting as much premium because theoretically the position should almost always end up OTM. If you panic and buy back every time the stock dips 5%, you aren't going to make any money (and might keep losing it). I am far OTM AND doing $200 spreads so that I can let it get ITM and still manage it successfully. So I'm going to sit on my hands with my 700/900s, and keep the premium I received Thursday....

I have a few 995 naked puts sold for Friday. For the time being, they look safe but at what point should I start looking at rolling them down?
You can let them get ITM, and then just roll them a month out for great premium (and roll them with a week left in time value for the following month for more great premium), or if that makes you uncomfortable, when the SP gets to 1,000.

I have a few 995 naked puts sold for Friday. For the time being, they look safe but at what point should I start looking at rolling them down?
I have a couple at a slightly higher strike prices. I am not worried.

If the stock gets down to 1050 perhaps you should reassess. Right now it appears that if nothing else changes, even 1100 is not in play.

Not advice…

As per BornToFly. He knows better….

For the FAQ (I've been working on this over the weekend, but just finished it up)
Managing Spreads
As I see it, there are 3 main categories of management: Closing, Transforming, or Adding Leverage. I'm going to list out the management strategies that I've collected from the forum and then my thoughts on which ones work best. I don't credit most because it didn't occur to me to grab anything other than the text at the time. So apologies for that. To be clear, very few of these ideas are directly from me, and I've only used a few of them in practice.

Closing:
1, BTC the position. This is the simplest and cleanest management strategy. If you do it quickly enough, it's the least painful. The risk is that the position was actually just fine if you had left it alone. Many times that's true. When we fail to follow this strategy and we're wrong about a recovery, we move into the strategies below.
2, BTC half the position. When in doubt, do half of what you planned to do. This will likely result in either zero loss (or a small gain, depending on when you closed), if the rest of the position recovers, or half the loss, if the position continues to go against you.
3, BTC the short side of the position and let the long side run. If you're convinced the SP will keep moving against you, close the short side of the spread and the long side will continue to increase in value, possibly turning a losing trade into a winning one. The risk is that you're wrong, and the stock recovers, in which case you've lost twice and your long position may even expire worthless. Obviously this works best with narrow spreads where the long leg will go ITM more quickly.
4, BTC the long side of the position and let the short side recover. If you think the SP will go back in your direction, but not far enough to rescue your spread, you can sell the long side at what you think is top/bottom. At that point have a naked ITM option to manage. You can close this if it recovers or manage it as you would any ITM open single option position. This may be easier to roll and manage than a spread, but you're also giving up defined risk for unlimited risk.
5, BTC half and form an Iron Condor. Eg, if you have an ITM BPS, close half and open a BCS margin free. This may reduce overall margin requirements, but of course you're at risk with both up and down moves now, and it may be hard to open a position you would have opened anyway for good premium.

Transforming: (these are margin neutral)
1, BTC the position, STO any new position with equivalent credit. There aren't any limits to what you can do to manage a position in this way, but a general rule of thumb is to only open a managing position that you would have been happy to open if you weren't also trying to fix a mistake.
2, Roll it out and/or up. You're BTC the old position and replacing it with a new position a week or more out and at a better srike for approximately the same credit. For a spread, unlike a single position (CC or CSP), you don't want to wait until the end of the week to gain the most from theta, as your long side will lose theta faster than your short side will benefit from it. If you're going to do this, I think it's better to make this move ASAP to minimize the loss from detla. Ideally you want to do this before the SP touches your short strike, but you can usually roll for even credit so long as the SP doesn't hit the midpoint of your BPS. One thing to note is that as soon as you roll, your losses (or recovery) will slow, since rolling out in time and/or up in strike will lower the delta of the position.
3, BTC the position and STO an equivalent credit of the other side; eg, changing a put spread into a call spread. Also known as the flip roll. Great if you think the stock price is probably not heading back your way and you're too far ITM to play catch up.
4, Roll/convert the short side out to an ITM short opposite (STO call if you are managing a put or vice versa), keep the long side. Both make money if stock goes in the direction you expect, but both lose if it doesn't. Similar to the "flip roll" but you're no longer in a spread.
5, When the SP is in an obvious range, BTC at one end of the range and STO at the other. Eg, if you have DITM calls to repair, and the SP is range bound between 1220 and 1240, BTC the position at 1220 then STO it again at 1240, reducing the premium, or changing the strikes or time for the same premium. The risk here is that you're wrong about the range and get stuck.

Adding Leverage: (these generally increase margin requirement or risk)
1, STO the same position at a higher credit. Doubling down on a losing position that you think will recover partially but not fully will allow you to close at even credit twice as quickly. The risk is that you're wrong about the stock price move (or get greedy waiting for exactly even) and end up losing money twice as fast instead.
2, BTC long side, halve the spread and STO twice the contracts. Again, you're doubling the position, but this time without adding extra margin to it. This will either recover twice as quickly or fail twice as quickly, and you're also reducing your options to roll, as a smaller spread width provides fewer opportunities to roll.
3, STO and form an Iron Condor, no additional margin necessary. Use the resulting premium to improve the problem position. You can continue to roll the whole position, or let the reparative half of the IC expire and just roll the problem position again.
4, BTO additional long contracts in the long leg of a problem position. For example, let's say you're in a -1100c/1150c BCS with 10 contracts. Roll it to the next week as -1100c x 10/+1150c x 11 instead of improving strikes. This will keep the spread from going underwater as quickly if it continues to move against you, as the extra long strikes will gain money more quickly than the short strikes will lose it. I haven't done the math on this one, so it may be necessary to add additional money to the position in addition to the premium from rolling to get the correct ratio.
5, Convert to debit spread by moving the short side beyond the long side away from the money. Eg, if the SP is at 1000 and you have a BPS that's -1050p/1030p, you can BTC the 1050 and STO at 1010, making at 1030/-1010 debit spread. This will incur a debit, but if the SP falls, you now make money instead of losing it.

Summary/tips:
1, Remember that you can apply any of these strategies one contract at a time, and that you are not limited to a single strategy to repair a problem position. Eg, you can roll up and out AND form an Iron Condor AND add long contracts to the new position.
2, Always ask yourself, "would I open this new position if I didn't have a problem to fix?" Try to avoid digging yourself in deeper.

So in summary, my personal opinion is that it doesn't hurt to carry some small long term rolling positions (especially single options, not so much spreads) that are against you in case of a huge move in the other direction. But if you're going to close a problem position, just close it then redeploy the capital however you would normally have done so. That's 90% of the strategies here. The few strategies I like are forming an Iron Condor with the rolled position (because it's margin free), adding long contracts when you roll (because I would never have thought of that! I haven't tried it yet, but I like it) and just BTC.

Rolling spreads is much more complicated imo than naked puts or CCs. The problem is that you're losing theta with the long leg faster than you're gaining it with the short leg, and that can add up fast. So I generally just BTC, hopefully even, when I get nervous about it. However, if you've got a massive 100 contract position (which I hope to do soon), you may need to study under the master, @Yoona . Check out her great post here sharing how she handled the historic run up in October:

Finally, one strategy that I found for managing single options that I wanted to include:
STO the opposite type of option (calls or puts) at the strike of your problem position, forming a straddle. This is risk free money, since only one of these can go bad, and you already have a bad position here. Use those funds to improve the strike of the problem position, forming a strangle. Eg, if you had a short 800 call option, form a straddle with a short 800 put, then use that premium to roll the 800 call up to say 850 and form an inverse strangle.

Hope this was helpful! Please add more strategies or corrections to this if you have them as replies, and I'll edit. Then we can add it to the FAQ.

NOT-ADVICE

Still hoping for a nothingburger and as previously mentioned, that is also what I expect. Still exited my BPS for around $8-9 each. There will be a $3-4 loss each for me, but that's a single week to recover and is a better fit for me in my situation.

Still have some naked puts open at 1095 - I expect that I can roll those approximately forever if needed, and I'll roll those down aggressively if they get near to the money.