Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Premiums are going to be good for sure, but I'm not feeling too confident opening new BPS. 20% OTM would be in the upper 700s now. That seems safe, but who knows these days.
I’m not saying it won’t happen, but the SP will be backstopped by strong earnings. A drop to that level would take a complete market dump, I reckon. We’ve been down that road before, not too long ago.

Looks like we go lower before any kind of rally. I posit that few if any predicted the price action of the past week with TSLA. I sold some BCS last Monday with trepidation and some CCs that have obviously fared well, but not on the basis that I thought the entire rally would collapse and be erased, but in the belief that it would stall for earnings. The BPS I sold on the never ending dips afterwards all look sick.

I believe that has many of us rattled here. TSLA executed well beyond even bullish expectations and is getting hammered ostensibly over a quarter or half a point of interest rates. I expected a beat down at some point, but timing is everything and the timing here is tough to swallow. But that is how the market works.

Should be an interesting week.
I would posit that “few if any” implies none, which isn’t correct. ;-).

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but the SP will be backstopped by strong earnings. A drop to that level would take a complete market dump, I reckon. We’ve been down that road before, not too long ago.
Easy to hold spectacular earnings against TSLA in this environment by pointing out how ”ridiculous” and “overextended” their PE remains while ignoring growth trend.

TSLA could show a forward PE of 80 (outrageous! Who would buy that?!) based on this Q and still be punished depending on the macros.

Hope my status as a contrarian indicator is intact.

so what's next $940?
$990 might provide some WEAK support, I’ve moved my $970 target to eh gads, $936, then there is an air pocket down to high 8XX, $879, then below $800. With so many rapid moves in the past four weeks, getting closer to exact is never going to work for technicals other than solid bases or near term or ATH. Stay frosty, volatillily is your friend if you’re ready for it.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to roll my 850/1050 to the 28th and reduce the number by 1/3 with a small debit in order to free up margin. I will then use that margin to either widen the spread on my 1/28 850/1100s, or actually buy more shares for a quick 20% profit when we jump (and preserve more margin than I would buying calls).

I think I'm going to roll my 850/1050 to the 28th and reduce the number by 1/3 with a small debit in order to free up margin. I will then use that margin to either widen the spread on my 1/28 850/1100s, or actually buy more shares for a quick 20% profit when we jump (and preserve more margin than I would buying calls).
Thinking on those same lines..

Reactions: BornToFly
$990 might provide some WEAK support, I’ve moved my $970 target to eh gads, $936, then there is an air pocket down to high 8XX, $879, then below $800. With so many rapid moves in the past four weeks, getting closer to exact is never going to work for technicals other than solid bases or near term or ATH. Stay frosty, volatillily is your friend if you’re ready for it.
I shouldn't enter new bullish positions until Jan 20th, if I were to keep losses in the last year to offset some of the massive gains I cached in.
Do you think there is any chance this weakness may persist until then? That'd be wicked (for me), but I expect reversal would be likely furious and quick, and before then...

I shouldn't enter new bullish positions until Jan 20th, if I were to keep losses in the last year to offset some of the massive gains I cached in.
Do you think there is any chance this weakness may persist until then? That'd be wicked (for me), but I expect reversal would be likely furious and quick, and before then...
I DO think this weakness will continue till then but I do agree that a reversal could be furious and quick. At This point I’m collaring a range, sub 850 with puts over 1200 with some OTM calls spreads.. plus ready to deploy ~ 750k if/when I feel that is better for my re-buy medium term entry.

Well, managed to roll my -1100/+900 BPS from the 14th to the 28th at the little pop this morning for a whopping $2 per. I was actually thinking I might have to pay to roll for time given the drop in premarket, so its nice to get a little premium instead. Maybe I am too bullish, but I can’t see this price lasting through earnings. Wait to see I guess.

Oh, and I’m headed into the backcountry now to go skiing, this is too painful to watch, lol.

Rolled my 1/14 -1000/+850 BPS to 02/04 -1000/+850 for decent credit.

Reason why I didn't pick 1/21 is we will most likely have earnings after the 21st and I believe the chances of staying below $1000 after the blowout earnings that are to come are very slim. Before earnings we could stay down or see a reversal, but it's up to the macros and the manic market.