Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I'm brand new to the forum, which is crazy because I have been on car forums for a long time. I own 2 Teslas (original Roadster, Signature Model X) and have had a deposit on the new Roadster for awhile now.

My father passed away last year but left me his portfolio which contains a LOT of Tesla shares he bought @ $7.10, then a lot more at $15.09.

I don't wish to ever sell these as I can borrow against them and the rest of the things in my portfolio. But I would like to use them to extract money out of the marketplace to cover monthly income, taxes, etc.

Couple questions before I start scanning the 690pgs of this thread:
  • My research shows that selling cash-secured puts (I wouldn't mind accumulating more shares if the price drops) may be the best way for me to go about producing monthly income. Would anyone confirm that this would be a reasonable "set and passively monitor" scenario?
    • In this scenario I would look to sell 10 contracts, 45-day puts around ~20% down (so if I bought today the strike would be around 850). I have enough shares to use as margin, and would be able to get enough cash to purchase shares if I ever got called.
  • If any of the above does not compute, I would be interested to know how far out you would recommend going (30days, 60days, etc), and what kind of downside strikes I may consider targeting (15%, 10%, etc) outside my own conviction of where I'd be happy buying the stock.
  • Should I pay more attention to the premium as good guidance?
My options manager is willing to start helping me with these trades, but I'd like to get a firm understanding of the process before I start executing.

I think the general tendency is to sell weekly puts. If you look at the return of 45 days vs weekly, you'll see not a 4-fold of premium, while exposing yourself to more risk because Tesla's SP is a rollercoaster ride. -20% is considered safe for weeklies where you sell for instance this week a Jan28 put, and close that position somewhere mid next week.

Be mindful that Tesla has the tendency to rise high at times, and drop at times. -20% of ATH brings you at 994. Maybe you'll feel the premiums are low at -20% and would creep to -15%, but -15% of ATH is 1056.

Hi guys I'm brand new to the forum, which is crazy because I have been on car forums for a long time. I own 2 Teslas (original Roadster, Signature Model X) and have had a deposit on the new Roadster for awhile now.

My father passed away last year but left me his portfolio which contains a LOT of Tesla shares he bought @ $7.10, then a lot more at $15.09.

I don't wish to ever sell these as I can borrow against them and the rest of the things in my portfolio. But I would like to use them to extract money out of the marketplace to cover monthly income, taxes, etc.

• My research shows that selling cash-secured puts (I wouldn't mind accumulating more shares if the price drops) may be the best way for me to go about producing monthly income. Would anyone confirm that this would be a reasonable "set and passively monitor" scenario?
    • In this scenario I would look to sell 10 contracts, 45-day puts around ~20% down (so if I bought today the strike would be around 850). I have enough shares to use as margin, and would be able to get enough cash to purchase shares if I ever got called.
  • If any of the above does not compute, I would be interested to know how far out you would recommend going (30days, 60days, etc), and what kind of downside strikes I may consider targeting (15%, 10%, etc) outside my own conviction of where I'd be happy buying the stock.
My options manager is willing to start helping me with these trades, but I'd like to get a firm understanding of the process before I start executing.

Hey welcome to the forum.

You have the right idea. I recommend starting conservatively with 1-2 weeks to expiration puts. And do read the past 2-3 months of posts in this thread. It’s been an extremely wild ride with painful lessons learned.

You didn’t mention selling covered calls. Look into that, if you haven’t already. Since you want to HODL your shares, consider selling 1 week to expiration 30% out of the money. This should be safe regular income.

Learn about techniques and timing to roll options positions before you commit significant shares or cash to options.

It’s good to have a pro helping you out.

Good luck 👍

Hey welcome to the forum.

You have the right idea. I recommend starting conservatively with 1-2 weeks to expiration puts. And do read the past 2-3 months of posts in this thread. It’s been an extremely wild ride with painful lessons learned.

You didn’t mention selling covered calls. Look into that, if you haven’t already. Since you want to HODL your shares, consider selling 1 week to expiration 30% out of the money. This should be safe regular income.

Learn about techniques and timing to roll options positions before you commit significant shares or cash to options.

It’s good to have a pro helping you out.

Good luck 👍
Thanks so much JustMe. I'm going to do research on the covered calls as well. When I start executing I will try to post my outcomes here.

Definitely going to look back on the past months of this thread. Tesla is a crazy case study, so will be interesting to see how others have fared. Appreciate the response!

I think the general tendency is to sell weekly puts. If you look at the return of 45 days vs weekly, you'll see not a 4-fold of premium, while exposing yourself to more risk because Tesla's SP is a rollercoaster ride. -20% is considered safe for weeklies where you sell for instance this week a Jan28 put, and close that position somewhere mid next week.

Be mindful that Tesla has the tendency to rise high at times, and drop at times. -20% of ATH brings you at 994. Maybe you'll feel the premiums are low at -20% and would creep to -15%, but -15% of ATH is 1056.
Thank you for the feedback on the percentages, definitely helpful. Apologies to the mods as I meant to reply to both quotes in one response.

Hey welcome to the forums.

Started options myself 4 months ago and have found the best stress free strategy is to sell weeklies 30% OTM puts and covered calls. Once the stock drops 3-7% then it’s interesting to sell puts 20% OTM because your are selling into strength and regression to the mean might get the stock to bounce back as long as the macros are not unfavourable or there is not a selling momentum from bear sentiment. When reaching all time highs, it’s interesting to sell covered calls 15-20% OTM. But before warning or volatility, I keep the CCs 30% OTM. I like selling contract 7-10days from expiration for maximum theta decay. I will be transitioning to BPS once I am trading with IBKR, hopefully soon.

One thing I learned is that in the short term with high volatility, predicting the stock price 3-4 weeks out is trying to shoot a flying goose blind folded. 1-2 weeks I am 95% accurate with 20-30% OTM contracts, 3-6 months TSLA usually tend to recover if there is a drop. However the 2-4 weeks range to 3 months is the real far west of short term predictions. At least for me. Others might be better.

Good luck! The learning experience from it is really fun.

Welcome to the thread!

Not to take away from what others have written, but your research is in the correct direction. Cash-secured puts are more profitable than covered-calls, HOWEVER, you already have the shares anyway, so might as well earn some additional income with selling covered calls as well.

Having said that, TSLA can be too volatile for a "set and passively monitor" options trading strategy. 30% OTM weeklies or even 20% OTM seems to be safe for now, but you never know when FOMO sets in and you bear witness to a 40% stampede. At that point in time, be familiar with how to roll out your covered-calls and you'll be fine. You don't have to day-trade it, but selling TSLA options is definitely NOT for passive investors. Unless you have a different definition of "passively monitor"?

Please dust off your crystal balls.

Interested in some "not-advice" on some 900C Jan 1/ 2022 that I bought for $29 way back. Current price is $151.

EDIT: these are not held in a tax advantaged account.

Was debating taking assignment but it would mean moving some stuff around to avoid adding margin ( & unwanted tax consequences ); and that too at an interesting macro time in the market.

It's do able, because 1/2 of the $90K per call would be returned to margin / buying power upon taking assignment because I would have more chairs.

Wondering if you think there will "likely" be a better than $929 entry point in the near future, in which case selling & closing the calls would be a better way to go.

What would you do ? Thanks in advance to everyone for your "not advice"
Few thoughts:
- $929 is a wonderful entry point. How much better can it get? How much worse?
- Is your tax bill greater by moving stuff around to release margin, than if you were to sell options? I'd go in a direction of a lower tax bill.
- And final check, are you really comfortable with that margin if you exercise? Do you still hold if weird stuff happens, like TSLA drops to $700?
Are you capable of sacrificing small portion at $600 to release margin and fend off "impossible to happen" SP $550?
If yes, nothing to worry about, take delivery of shares. If in between, you'll need to create mental models for gain vs. hurt...
Just keep in mind that impossible happens with TSLA a lot!

My welcome as well. Its good to see a fellow Roadster owner on board.

Lots of not-advice suggestions (we all have opinions and we all have input, but ultimately we all make our own decisions and experience our own (good and bad) consequences. We're not financial advisors.

I do have some suggestions. Somebody else mentioned reading the last few months of the thread rather than the whole thing. I think that is entirely reasonable. Unfortunately the posting volume picked up a lot over the summer so that will be a disproportionately large subset of the thread. Ah well - such is life, and there are indeed many examples of risks and rewards, good and bad consequences, that people have experienced. Many many learning opportunities of the best kind - the opportunity to learn from other's experience.

But step 1 is that you've already acquired option basics knowledge from other sources, find your own beginner / introductory options learning material, or go through the Options Alpha learning series linked on the first page. That basic level of knowledge is assumed throughout the thread.

There is also a link over to our Glossary thread where terminology and some historical posts people have found particularly valuable can be found. Read as much or as little as you are inspired to do - there is good beginning stuff, as well as plenty to refer back to as you learn and experience more.

So assuming that background knowledge there is unfortunately no one right or best way to do things. OA talks mostly about 30-60 day options that get closed 2-4 weeks prior to expiration. Except for the people that leave positions to go to expiration (save the commissions to close). And a lot more. This is an important limitation on the OA stuff - they are both teaching option basics in addition to an approach to trading / selling options. There are really big, really important differences between what they are doing in their trading strategy(s) and what we're doing.

The big difference as I see it is that OA is trading a huge number of underlying companies etc.., while most of us are trading a single underlying (TSLA). At least for me I believe that my study and tracking of Tesla provides me with a material information edge over Wall Street, and that information edge is something I use as I sell TSLA options. That doesn't mean that I'm right - but I do carry through and put money on the line due to that belief. It also means that I need to stay connected to both short and long term stuff going on with the company.

Generally speaking I don't see a good "set and passively monitor" approach, mostly because I haven't personally experienced such a thing nor have I seen anybody else active in the thread talking about achieving that. But there IS more and less attention needed, so this becomes a reasonable vector to tune your own strategy for. And if you find something along these lines that is working for you, please do post about your strategy, what is working and not, what you're learning as you go along, etc.. because there are almost certainly others here that will find that valuable (I know that I would!).

Choosing strikes is also a non-trivial exercise and is a frequent topic. The mechanism you mentioned for the puts - what price would you be happy to buy shares at - is something I used when I got started, and that served me well.

I think most all of us would agree that the premium is only useful as an "is this even worth it" test - not guidance on which strikes to choose.

I see plenty of good reason to use those 45ish day expirations. The problem when you're new to this is that even if you're closing 2 weeks early, thus positions open for 1 month, then you'll gain 12 experiences in a year. If you're doing weekly trades then you'll have access to 50ish experiences a year, and that'll mean faster experience / knowledge gain. That is what led me to weeklies originally, along with a better weekly income, and the ability to make strike price adjustments more frequently.

I think that the main thing we would all provide as not-advice ... start with small positions and repeat. There is a good post in the Glossary about how to get started. The idea in a small position is that it is small enough that a max loss won't carry a meaningful financial impact to you, while also being large enough to get and keep your attention.

Having said that, TSLA can be too volatile for a "set and passively monitor" options trading strategy. 30% OTM weeklies or even 20% OTM seems to be safe for now, but you never know when FOMO sets in and you bear witness to a 40% stampede.

Curious if anyone knows off hand the largest single-week gain or drop in the share price ever as a %?

I vaguely recall finding like a 22ish or so % drop in one week a while back and everything else being under 20%...and the biggest one week jump being...also around 22ish% (late Oct 2021 off Q3 and Hertz news) with the rest being under 20%.... can't recall any week where SP change was anywhere near 30% ever but I also didn't do a massively detailed regression check or anything.... still, that track record unless someone has better data suggests a decently wide spread 20% OTM... (or even moreso naked/cash ones 20% OTM) are not gonna lose you money unless you want them to.

(note I'm talking full week- there's been intraday stuff where it went nearly 20% in a single day then a bit more the next day intraday before a pullback before close...but those weeks all ended below a 20% swing)

When some of you folks talk about rolling a certain number of BPS out to a fewer number of contracts, what exactly do you mean by that? What does that look like? Are you simply buying to close some of them and rolling the rest? Is there some other mechanism?

When some of you folks talk about rolling a certain number of BPS out to a fewer number of contracts, what exactly do you mean by that? What does that look like? Are you simply buying to close some of them and rolling the rest? Is there some other mechanism?
I'm no professional, but "rolling" from what I can gather is simply a bundling of transactions. You're closing a certain number of positions and opening a certain number of new positions.

Seems to me this is mostly a mechanism to make people feel good about not closing out losing positions.

There are many different ways to roll options contracts. In the specific case you mentioned, I’ll give an example. The basic idea is to take advantage of the greater value of options that expire later in time.

Let’s say you have 10x 1/12 1000/900p
The closing price today was $13.83

You could buy to close those and sell to open 5x 2/4 1000/900p for $31 each. This would take half the margin with a bit of cash to spare.

Not advocating that, it’s just an example. If rolling to escape a falling share price it might be advisable to roll down in strike and or widen the spreads in the new positions.

Both of those responses were very helpful. Thank you. Another question: If one is interested in selling puts as a mechanism for being assigned shares at a more favorable price, what is the advantage of selling naked puts vs. selling very wide BPS? I don't quite understand why one would ever sell naked puts and tie up that full capital spread ($0-$current SP)?

Both of those responses were very helpful. Thank you. Another question: If one is interested in selling puts as a mechanism for being assigned shares at a more favorable price, what is the advantage of selling naked puts vs. selling very wide BPS? I don't quite understand why one would ever sell naked puts and tie up that full capital spread ($0-$current SP)?

If you are doing it intending/wanting to be assigned shares you're going to need the full capital available anyway when you get assigned.

At which point what benefit did you get wasting $ on the expires-worthless long legs?

The point of doing put spreads is you want BOTH sides to expire worthless and sell significantly more of them each week/month/quarter/whatever.

Insane amount of great responses from those who chimed in on my original post. I really appreciate the sentiments and will be sure to update you when I begin.

And I also appreciate the feedback regarding "set and passively monitor". I do understand the importance of watching the trade play out, and you're right in that you can never assume 20-30% out is enough given a specific timeframe. Only thing on my side from the selling puts end is that I wouldn't mind getting called and can afford to purchase the stock, however I would want to be quick to roll in the event I didn't want to assume that position.

Thanks so far!

Sweet, when did you buy those?
That 240x was bought I think in 2019, like the next day after the 1/22 expiration date was added. So, holding 2+ years. Will be exercising tomorrow all my 1/22 and 6/22 calls. Sold today a bunch of short term shares I held as savings to pay for them.

Playing this LIFO game where I have to pop the latest/expensive shares from the stack, push the low cost basis shares from exercised calls into the stack, then can start pushing expensive shares back on top.

Had an issue in the past when I sold first, then exercised later on the same day and broker recorded the exercised shares as the ones that were sold, because to them LIFO means last shares even if those didn’t exist when I sold. Had to fight them for a while to fix that, so now need to make those transactions on different dates to avoid that.

Sucks big time I didn’t sell at 1200, but was hard to know. We were so sure Q4 would mean a big pop and now macros are in the crapper. Anyway, that was just cash parked in shares, so I didn’t lose anything, but could have made more.

Insane amount of great responses from those who chimed in on my original post. I really appreciate the sentiments and will be sure to update you when I begin.

And I also appreciate the feedback regarding "set and passively monitor". I do understand the importance of watching the trade play out, and you're right in that you can never assume 20-30% out is enough given a specific timeframe. Only thing on my side from the selling puts end is that I wouldn't mind getting called and can afford to purchase the stock, however I would want to be quick to roll in the event I didn't want to assume that position.

Thanks so far!
Hi and welcome.

A practical tip I give out once in a while to newcomers is to install a phone app with price alerts.

Personally I use "WeBull" which is free, accurate and easy to set up. After I sell my puts/calls for the coming weeks I set price alerts for when TSLA goes above a certain stock price (i.e. TSLA nears my closest covered call strike price) and for when TSLA drops below a certain stock price (i.e. TSLA nears my closest short put).

I find this provides some peace of mind. It turns "having to check the SP regularly" into "I only check the SP when I want to". Helps me to focus on my day job better. If I don't receive a price alert, my positions are fine and don't need correcting. This can also help with overtrading.

Good luck on your travels on the road of options.

If anyone is using E-Trade, they called me today and asked if I wanted more margin. I didn't and when they asked of I needed anything, I asked to not be surprised if rates went up unexpectedly.

That's when I found out if I had asked for more margin my rates would have gone up ON MY ENTIRE MARGINED SUM!!!

This is due to the Morgan Stanley acquisition apparently.

Be careful out there!
Morgan Stanly has always sucked.
i think they will be pushing for more fees for Etrade customers
Are you a platinum client?