Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LET'S GO....
Sorry, that’s all my fault. I just couldn’t resist, knowing that I was only 17 shares short of another lot. I sold some -c720s for a few weeks out to get some cash, and literally 1 min later the SP spiked. I got the shares, but once again impeccably lousy timing, selling CCs into a rising SP and then having to chase to buying shares. Oh well, it might have been a mistake, but at least I can roll them out months to match my -p1000s.

I took the opportunity when we popped to $690 to roll my last remaining problematic -710p to next week -690 for $6. I don't think we close above $700.

I've been managing this for 10 weeks now, still making credits most weeks while rolling down, barely staying ahead of this seemingly perma-dropping market. Eventually, we have to find a bottom and I will close this out, but not this week.

This started as a 4 DTE -870/770 BPS with the SP at $960. Here are the rolls and credits.

-870/770 $2.50
-830/730 $2.10
-790/690 $6.00
-760/600 $0.00
-740/640 $0.00
-740/620 $1.70
+620 (sold) $20.00
-735 $4.20
-710 $6.00
-690 $6.00
With the morning dip, 550 puts are $2.50. A 550-500 BPS is paying 1.45. I like yoona's plan and staying out of the market over the weekend, but 550 seems incredibly safe on the downside. If we bounce back to 700 near the close, I will look to sell a couple of CC's. I'm ok using proceeds to buyout leaps and convert to shares and sell more out of the money CC's. Wondering if a shift to BPS in the second half will work better. If the stock rebounds, my safe CC strategy could be more challenging.
Anyhow, seems likely you should be able to wiggle out of the puts in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Yoona
With the morning dip, 550 puts are $2.50. A 550-500 BPS is paying 1.45. I like yoona's plan and staying out of the market over the weekend, but 550 seems incredibly safe on the downside. If we bounce back to 700 near the close, I will look to sell a couple of CC's. I'm ok using proceeds to buyout leaps and convert to shares and sell more out of the money CC's. Wondering if a shift to BPS in the second half will work better. If the stock rebounds, my safe CC strategy could be more challenging.
Anyhow, seems likely you should be able to wiggle out of the puts in the next few weeks.
i also look at 1 STDDEV, and think 580-760 is probably ok OTM for now

1656694615569.png

and now it can be revealed... the secret spaghetti sauce: one of my daytrading helper analyzer is the Fibonaci

this is tsla last 2.5 hours:

1656696121771.png

• identify where is the pullback
  • use 50EMA or MACD as confirmation
  • buy at that local dip/support line
  • add stop loss below the buying price
  • sell at the resistance above
since the percentages/lines are pre-defined, to me this is like looking at what the MM bots are doing in real-time?

i have 6/7 success rate on those trades if i got it right

Last edited:
My first thought was that you bought, to open, 3x +P1250s instead of buying, to close, the 3x -P1250s you had. Which is supported by this:

(Most brokers won't let you hold + and - of the same strike/expiration...)

But then you said this:

Which doesn't make sense. So I'm still going with that you didn't buy to close.

What I usually do I go to my Holdings, select the -p1250 put and then click on the Buy option. There is no buy to close option on the National Bank platform.

The account manager told me the Puts were assigned on the 29th but he didn’t bother to call me or send me an email because he said I always let my contract assigned previously when he looked at my
account. This is false since it is my first assignment, I have been rolling contracts to avoir assignment since the beginning. Then he said there is a delay of 24hours because if technical problems on the platform, explaining why it was not updated in the Holdings and it was still showing I had 3 short Puts -p1250 19/8. He said he could sell the 300 shares at market on the open and sell the 3 +p1250 19/8 at market open but that he could not reverse the assignment.

Combinaison of 24 hours delay on the platform to show the holdings coupled with lack of communication to inform about assignment. At least I managed to go for my bike ride today.

Will have a tax hit on the 500 shares I had to sell this week because my average cost was initially 400.
Good news is that I sold a bunch of stocks at a low to buy TSLA around 650, so it will break even.

Attachments

• F89C51C4-8195-4E6B-904F-9B53570C1FB0.jpeg
    F89C51C4-8195-4E6B-904F-9B53570C1FB0.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
i also look at 1 STDDEV, and think 580-760 is probably ok OTM for now

View attachment 823585

and now it can be revealed... the secret spaghetti sauce: one of my daytrading helper analyzer is the Fibonaci

this is tsla last 2.5 hours:

View attachment 823607
  • identify where is the pullback
  • use 50EMA or MACD as confirmation
  • buy at that local dip/support line
  • add stop loss below the buying price
  • sell at the resistance above
since the percentages/lines are pre-defined, to me this is like looking at what the MM bots are doing in real-time?

i have 6/7 success rate on those trades if i got it right
as i already posted here.. i have the finonacci-support/resistance-levels marked automatically each day. The depent on the VWAP & STDD from the day before.

Today:
Resistance 3: 704.5
Resistance 2: 692
Resistance 1: 685
Average: 672
Support 1: 660
Support 2: 653
Support 3: 641

Today was a "slow" day compared to yesterday, so we stayed between S1 & R1. (666/682 was high/low). 660/685 today is pretty close for a prediction after market close YESTERDAY ;)

They are good for getting a feel and don't need to be set with intraday min/max which are unknown beforehand.

Also: Fib is recursive! You can set 0-50 for low/high and get a guess where breakouts will end.

What I usually do I go to my Holdings, select the -p1250 put and then click on the Buy option. There is no buy to close option on the National Bank platform.

The account manager told me the Puts were assigned on the 29th but he didn’t bother to call me or send me an email because he said I always let my contract assigned previously when he looked at my
account. This is false since it is my first assignment, I have been rolling contracts to avoir assignment since the beginning. Then he said there is a delay of 24hours because if technical problems on the platform, explaining why it was not updated in the Holdings and it was still showing I had 3 short Puts -p1250 19/8. He said he could sell the 300 shares at market on the open and sell the 3 +p1250 19/8 at market open but that he could not reverse the assignment.

Combinaison of 24 hours delay on the platform to show the holdings coupled with lack of communication to inform about assignment. At least I managed to go for my bike ride today.

I’d be furious at the dishonesty of the manager, the lack of “buy to close”, and lack of goodwill for your large, active trading account. Do you have other brokerage choices? I’d threaten to change brokerages unless they reverse it at their expense.

Reactions: Drezil
Looking very much like I will be assigned 10x -p700, so I'll be looking to sell calls against those next week

In the meantime, I have no shares to sell against, but 5x Jan 24 c700's, so if it looks indeed like we'll close below $700 I will I hedge a bit and sell 5x -c700 for next week in case we dump on Monday. If it pops, fine, I get my capital back, plus the premium
As promised, in the final minutes, STO 5x -c700 @$18.5 (against my 5x J24 c700's), with 10x -p700's to be assigned over the weekend

If we pop after P&D, I'll sell more 5x calls against the 1000 shares I'll be receiving, if we drop then I'll be selling -p600's

Now the waiting begins...

As promised, in the final minutes, STO 5x -c700 @$18.5 (against my 5x J24 c700's), with 10x -p700's to be assigned over the weekend

If we pop after P&D, I'll sell more 5x calls against the 1000 shares I'll be receiving, if we drop then I'll be selling -p600's

Now the waiting begins...
Up next:
P&D release
4 day trading week
Enjoy the weekend (3 day for some of us)

I’d be furious at the dishonesty of the manager, the lack of “buy to close”, and lack of goodwill for your large, active trading account. Do you have other brokerage choices? I’d threaten to change brokerages unless they reverse it at their expense.

I had to roll my assets from one company to another before sending everything to IBKR. It is only a matter of time before I switch to Interactive Broker. It’s now been more than 6 months I have been trying to roll my assets from one company to another at National Bank and they have shown nothing but blatant incompetency. Today was just the last straw. When I was about to tell him they were the worse brockerage platform on the planet my line cut because I was parking right across the US/Canada Border getting ready for my bike ride with all my friends waiting in the parking on their bikes. I had to take the $1600 slippage fee hit and the $30,000 tax hit according to him like it was normal. Even if it’s 100% their fault from their technical difficulties difficulties and lack of appropriate communication.

as i already posted here.. i have the finonacci-support/resistance-levels marked automatically each day. The depent on the VWAP & STDD from the day before.

Today:

Today was a "slow" day compared to yesterday, so we stayed between S1 & R1. (666/682 was high/low). 660/685 today is pretty close for a prediction after market close YESTERDAY ;)

They are good for getting a feel and don't need to be set with intraday min/max which are unknown beforehand.

Also: Fib is recursive! You can set 0-50 for low/high and get a guess where breakouts will end.
i scripted those 6 pivot points now, thanks

Reactions: UltradoomY
I had to roll my assets from one company to another before sending everything to IBKR. It is only a matter of time before I switch to Interactive Broker. It’s now been more than 6 months I have been trying to roll my assets from one company to another at National Bank and they have shown nothing but blatant incompetency. Today was just the last straw. When I was about to tell him they were the worse brockerage platform on the planet my line cut because I was parking right across the US/Canada Border getting ready for my bike ride with all my friends waiting in the parking on their bikes. I had to take the $1600 slippage fee hit and the $30,000 tax hit according to him like it was normal. Even if it’s 100% their fault from their technical difficulties difficulties and lack of appropriate communication.
Hang in there. I am sorry for the hits. Hope they are the worst thing you have to deal with.

You are almost there, and TSLA is not far from a run. Have to get all this 2Q crap done and then 3Q and 4Q will be undeniable. A few weeks maybe sooner. Guidance is everything….

Get to IBKR and make it all back plus. Stay focused.

Hang in there. I am sorry for the hits. Hope they are the worst thing you have to deal with.

You are almost there, and TSLA is not far from a run. Have to get all this 2Q crap done and then 3Q and 4Q will be undeniable. A few weeks maybe sooner. Guidance is everything….

Get to IBKR and make it all back plus. Stay focused.

Just sent an email to my account director to cover for the fees and Bid/ask slippage between both transactions.

He already knows I have an open account at IBKR and he wanted me to move the assets from IBKR to National Bank. He was ready to lower the rate of 0.25% if I moved over 3M in asserts. Come on. The exact opposite is going to happen.

I am working like crazy to pump new money in my trading account and survive till this downturn is behind us. I can cover for 1 contract being assigned every 3-4 weeks but the bank working against me won’t help.

Before close I did a Buy/Write. Bought 1000 shares at 678 and sold 10X 640CC for $51 against them. If we stay above 640 next week, I pocket $13K. If we drop below 640, I pocket $51k and decide how aggressive I want to be with the next 10X CC.

I don't have any BPS or CSP open for next week. I am waiting to see what happens on Tuesday. If we drop, I'll get more for ridiculously low strikes (like 550/450).

I was boating with my son and his girlfriend who are visiting, so I couldn't babysit my 680 CSP. I placed a Buy to Close limit order at $5, which of course ended up executing. I still made almost $4, which is ok considering that I had a loss going for much of the day.

Today:

Where do you get the support and resistance levels for the day?

Where do you get the support and resistance levels for the day?

I had to enter some risk-reversals (-c+p) expiring next week to protect my margin as we dropped low (Wed-Thurs). I closed the call side of them during the Friday lows as I do not want to risk a possible runaway rally in reaction to better-than-expected P&D numbers. But I kept the put side in case market punishes Tesla for the numbers.

As for my expectations on market reaction:
- if P&D comes below 250K, TSLA will drop like a stone, we are in for a world of hurt
- if P&D comes above 280K, there will be a relief rally (maybe cut short and tempered by macros)
- in between 250K-280K (most likely range) I expect the usual: some volatile swings up and down, overall trend following macros