Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I thought my 388 Dec short legs were going to be safe after surviving last night. Now with the Twitter news they are in danger again. Nothing to do but watch and wait. If we have red macro days the rest of the week things could get ugly. šŸ˜£

Not investment advice but there is a good chance Elon already sold whatever he needed to sell. Maybe it was a pre arranged sale of shares, not sure if thatā€™s technically possible or not. Based on everything we have seen so far with the Twitter saga Elon has sold first and answered questions later.

I think it is telling that he has not responded to Dave Leeā€™s question if he plans to sell any more shares. Iā€™m expecting to see form 4s tomorrow confirming this sale. I give it a 50/50 chance.

I think it is telling that he has not responded to Dave Leeā€™s question if he plans to sell any more shares. Iā€™m expecting to see form 4s tomorrow confirming this sale. I give it a 50/50 chance.
That sounds about right. He likely sold near the open and hedgies knew it was coming ahead of time. They were easily able to keep it down throughout the otherwise green market day.

Edit: A 4s tomorrow followed by a tweet saying "finding secured" could be very nice.

possible drop to 225, if plotting from the large swing (7/13 low to 8/4 high)
fibs 78% breached this week
(not advice)

1664979538634.png

-p300 exercised overnight. Sold the shares and opened 10/21 -p300. Also opened more 1/25 300c but getting close to margin limit now.

Edit: Also still holding -p245/210, trying not to roll yet. Also bought 10/21 c260 for an ER play, been getting killed on bought calls but not giving up on an ER bounce yet.

Last edited:
This is horrible. I'm probably going to have to roll stuff at a big debit this week that would all be fine in two weeks with the ER (I think). It's like swimming across the ocean and drowning 5 feet from shore.

Thatā€™s exactly how I feel with all my assigned Puts lately, stock collapsing, margin contracting again and close to margin call again. This repetitive share dumping from the Ā« First in, last out Ā» investor is the major negative catalyst killing every rally possible.

Very true, but I think given TSLA's meteoric rise there are a lot of "investors" who are willing to let the stock go if we hit certain levels for their stop losses.

No, I already closed my puts last week. However, my $250 CC for October 21 are looking really good now. Rolling them to $230 for this Friday.

Closing out my $230 CC.... It's been a good trade.

Reactions: deerfield
This is horrible. I'm probably going to have to roll stuff at a big debit this week that would all be fine in two weeks with the ER (I think). It's like swimming across the ocean and drowning 5 feet from shore.
i am FOR REALSIES starting to get SICK and TIRED of tsla price action nonsense (EM distraction, daily MMD, 2-4x multiplier, capping for no reason, etc)

if sp doesn't improve by yearend, very high chance i will gradually move half of my acct to trading SPY/SPX instead

need some kind of 'diversification' for balancing

in fact, i am already daily looking at SPY/SPX summaries by bloggers/traders to learn the ropes

methinks betting my retirement income based on one man's physical/mental health is too much risk now that he is even more distracted

(mods, don't kick me)

Friends, I was also assigned some DEC 16 400p overnight. Tread carefully. I should've acted on these during the last run up over $300 but I was way too confident in how a blowout Q3 would be received. I am working on doing better and coming back stronger and less emotional. Learning when to take losses early seems to be my biggest area of opportunity. @BornToFly Drowning 5 ft from shore perfectly encapsulates how Iā€™ve felt these past few days.

@Yoona Iā€™ve been considering and experimenting with much of the same. I think thatā€™s where I will focus my trading attention in the future. I think Iā€™m going to transfer some funds to my other brokerage account, do a share to LEAP conversion and use the excess cash to refine my trading strategy on SPY/SPX. For anyone considering share to LEAP conversions, any specific options that stand out? Iā€™ve been looking at Jan24 strikes between $150-$180

Rolled my 275 puts for this week expiration out to the November monthly - still 275. I also evaluated December and January monthlies and decided that the incremental credit wasn't enough for the extra time. I suspect that these 1-2 month rolls will be my norm until the position comes back to me. The consequence is that my credit collection, as well as earnings, will drop significantly at a time when put sales could be overgenerating credits / gains.

Ah well. I did get a 6.50 credit - about $1/week worth of credit. Less than I would like but also within the range of what I'm looking for that money to earn. And on the plus side the puts won't need weekly management for awhile - something I'm becoming more comfortable with at least on the put side. I might just keep doing puts on more of a monthly than weekly dynamic - finding a way to lower my time and energy while retaining enough income (that I know will be lower) is and has always been a priority for me.

I expect these to be underwater for the rest of the quarter, maybe clearing in December but more likely January.