Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you! Planning to sell any CC’s?
I will probably do some 220 tomorrow while waiting for more clarity. It's hard to make any plan after 3% SPY day. This upward channel is pretty steep so I don't see how TSLA can break above it and stay up in a sustainable fashion. It's not that it's impossible - it's actually a TSLA staple. It just doesn't occur at this stage. After P&D or ER or once QT has ended maybe.

1669860353011.png

Last edited:
I will probably do some 220 tomorrow while waiting for more clarity. It's hard to make any plan after 3% SPY day. This upward channel is pretty steep so I don't see how TSLA can break above it and stay up in a sustainably fashion. It's not that it's impossible - it's actually a TSLA staple. It just doesn't occur at this stage. After P&D or ER or once QT has ended maybe.

View attachment 880029

Godspeed! And thanks for offering so much value to us here. It definitely eases the anxiety!

It’s not a lot but it’s headed in the right direction.

I think Xi likes the control over the population that the policy gives him, but I don’t think he has any desire to shut down any more factories while their economy is struggling and companies are looking to lessen their dependence on them (Apple shifting to India; Tesla maybe South Korea).

Thanks mate. That is good to see!

I saw this one so i just assumed it was the same old same old.

Well, I screwed that up spectacularly today. I tried buying back 5,000 shares in the am at 184.2, only to have the SP head straight down after. I sold them for a $1.5 loss shortly after. Then the SP went down below 181. After losing $7500 earlier in the morning, I was scared to buy back as the SP started rising during the Powell talk. Now I would be buying back at a huge loss, which is no big deal long term, as long as the SP doesn't go back down and force me to sell low for Margin reasons. So, my plan is to sell 185 or 190 Puts for next week so that the premium lowers my cost basis if the shares are assigned. I can also roll down if the SP starts to come back down too much.

I also have 190CC for Dec. 16.

(That's right, I am a master trader.... 🤦‍♂️)

I'm expecting the SP to climb more tomorrow with Semi event and Macros. Hopefully there will be a small pullback Friday so I can manage positions. But if there is a Semi surprise, with my luck we might climb another 10-20% before we pullback....
GL on the day trading buddy. I ended up giving it up because
1. Huge time difference Australia to USA, i get really tired.
2. This markets just really hard to trade.

On the bright side, everything is so low now that if you do make a mistake you can just bag hold for a while and you should be ok.

If get assigned on my $195 calls, I will buy DITM Leaps.
I also have several -195c expiring this friday. I'll roll tomorrow or friday if we see continued strength, but I'm curious about your DITM leaps strategy.

My limited foray into buying TSLA leaps has been nothing short of disastrous. I bought 6x ATM Jan 2023 366.67 (split-adjusted) last December when the SP was hitting all time highs - I rolled two of them forward to Jun 2024 at reduced strikes, but the remaining 4 are essentially worthless and I'm anticipating a complete loss at expiration.

So I'm a bit gun-shy at the moment on buying more leaps, even if logic tells me the upside potential is much greater now after the 50%+ drawdown this year. How far ITM do you like to go when you buy leaps? Do you have a particular delta target in mind?

E-Trade changed the way my portfolio margin is calculated two days ago. They end up cutting my margin in half and they said that is because I am too concentrated in Tesla. Did this happened to any one else? Now I don't think I have enough margin if we go down to $160 for instance so I am looking to close some positions in this up trend and sell some LEAPS as protection.

E-Trade changed the way my portfolio margin is calculated two days ago. They end up cutting my margin in half and they said that is because I am too concentrated in Tesla. Did this happened to any one else? Now I don't think I have enough margin if we go down to $160 for instance so I am looking to close some positions in this up trend and sell some LEAPS as protection.
Are you looking at Jan25 $200 or ITM LEAPs?

I’m with TD Ameritrade and they set my account for TSLA concentration which freed up rather than reduced maintenance requirements significantly. Perhaps call your customer service and ask. Perhaps mention what TD allows and maybe consider switching/transferring there.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: juanmedina
So it seems those of us that have 200 strike sold CC’s expiring tomorrow need 188-187 to get out, depending on the premium received when selling (me 0.43). Hopefully we see that dip as part of the MMD or throughout the day. The risky/scary part is if the SP keeps racing up it’ll cost double and triple to BTC…grrr! This is a great lesson for me of how careful I need to be in choosing strikes and not being lured by more premium.

090F8B40-8B7C-4D7D-8ACD-413C028CD967.jpeg

Are you looking at Jan25 $200 or ITM LEAPs?

To sell leaps I am looking at Jan 24 $300 for $30-34 and I would be fine letting some shares go at that price. I will move my strike up if the SP keeps going up trying to receive the same credit. I will also try to sell those LEAPS before P&D or earnings trying to get an IV boost.

I did traded some shares for Jan 25 Leaps $340-150's currently at +30-15%, I am not sure how long should I lets those run. Q4 is looking good but Q3 was supposed to be good and we know how that turned out when we we missed the delivery consensus. I was going to get out of my positions on margin after Q3 ER.

$300? I would be golden at $300 🤣.

Well thanks to PCE my 12/16 195 CC will be rolled today.
When reaching my strike I roll 10 higher at current SP. Will have to go to next year (1/06) to reach that for a slight credit.
Can always roll back lower should we go down again, but I don't think we will considering macro circumstances getting better and better.
Can luckily add another contract to keep on selling weeklies as well, but I tend to wait until tomorrow to see what Semi event causes.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I am cash, 95% TSLA, and 5% my employer stock in eTrade. I suspect they would do the same thing to me...but I havent noticed any changes. Hope that helps?

I also have several -195c expiring this friday. I'll roll tomorrow or friday if we see continued strength, but I'm curious about your DITM leaps strategy.

My limited foray into buying TSLA leaps has been nothing short of disastrous. I bought 6x ATM Jan 2023 366.67 (split-adjusted) last December when the SP was hitting all time highs - I rolled two of them forward to Jun 2024 at reduced strikes, but the remaining 4 are essentially worthless and I'm anticipating a complete loss at expiration.

So I'm a bit gun-shy at the moment on buying more leaps, even if logic tells me the upside potential is much greater now after the 50%+ drawdown this year. How far ITM do you like to go when you buy leaps? Do you have a particular delta target in mind?
I also have Leaps that are negative expiring in Jan23 bought during the split.

My strategy is to sell CC's as the stock rises and roll with dips or take assignment and buy DITM Leaps (when the stock is oversold, macros are bullish and below the 200MA) about 20% below current SP.

I only do this for ~10% of my core taxable shares. Non-tax is more like 30% of shares.

does anyone remember what is the approx OI/vol counts of 12/9 200 yesterday or before 7am today? TIA!
Have a look at Papafox's daily trading charts thread. He records OI and Volume from MaxPain.com for each day.

Have a look at Papafox's daily trading charts thread. He records OI and Volume from MaxPain.com for each day.

thx, he does, but for 12/2
i need 12/9

Reactions: Chenkers