Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it's that I get +~$10 per contract, so for every 4x I roll I can also sell a Dec -c300 and reduce the -c200's by 1x, so in this case 20x -c200 -> 16x -c200 & 4x -c300

And I have 6 months still to roll the lot, but need to deal with the July expiry and after playing about with the options calculators I don't see much benefit from waiting any longer, just deal with them now

Of course one could argue to roll the whole lot up $10 - $15 strike, that's another approach. Also you can just leave the -c200's in place and sell puts and keep the cash, each approach has pros-and-cons
That's quite clever!

Correct. The peak since I've placed the order is $271.53, so my stop was last updated to $255.22. If the SP climbs above $271.53 without first touching $255.22, the stop will continue to climb as well.

There is some risk on sharp moves, as once it hits the stop, it will convert into a market order; but a market order placed at $255.22 is still likely to fetch me a better sale price than my initial instinct to sell at $233.

Got it. Thank you. I just put in a trailing stop order at 6% based on Last price, in addition to my limit sell order at $280. Gonna sit back and watch at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Holder
Jan 24 CC 300 ~ $31
Jan 24 CC 350 ~ $19

So for my Jan 24 300 CC's , for $10, I can go from 300 to 350 strike improvement. 🤔 - use proceeds from weekly ATM PUTS for the move.
slow roll ... these situations do cause you to think :)
(need option to be able to sell all my shares in Jan, so pushing to future is not an option for personal account)
cheers!!
9 down (moved to 350), 21 to go.
Seems, might have to do another 350 to 400 conversion by beginning of 4Q :)

rolled 5 ATM PUTS to 280 for next week, and use the credits for the move ...

So just bite the bullet and close them? I know I could roll and try to reduce contracts with the credits, etc but that seems to just be putting off the inevitable. Also is waiting for extrinsic to bleed out a thing or that doesn’t apply when the share price is racing?

So that's the tough decision isn't it? Not long after I closed those BCS, Elon announced that he was buying TWTR and TSLA fell. Could such a downswing happen again? Maybe, but it's not something to rely on is it?

You have 14 of those short calls, maybe trim down one or three? If stock continues climbing, at least that's a few options that aren't working against you. And if stock drops, then you've only locked in losses on a few of them. It's a hedge.

So that's the tough decision isn't it? Not long after I closed those BCS, Elon announced that he was buying TWTR and TSLA fell. Could such a downswing happen again? Maybe, but it's not something to rely on is it?

You have 14 of those short calls, maybe trim down one or three? If stock continues climbing, at least that's a few options that aren't working against you. And if stock drops, then you've only locked in losses on a few of them. It's a hedge.
Yes, I started closing 1-2 here and there with gains from calls or CSP or just cash. Sleep better and can make it up by just holding shares longer.

I know that SELLING calls, regardless of expiration date, is always short term capital gains. But if I want to buy 100 strike Calls for share replacements, does it matter if I buy Jan 2024 or 2025? Do I have to wait until expiration and get the shares, and then wait a year to sell them? How does that work?

The air is getting very thin. TSLA up 5% with Nasdaq flat because Rivian is going to use Tesla superchargers? I don’t buy it. It smells a lot like a rally driven by call buying and short covering. Not complaining, but it does not feel sustainable.

NVDA's up as well. Opened a NVDA BCS 460/480 for this friday to try to recoup my losses from last week's terrible NVDA BCS 360/380. S&P's stagnating, yet the tech rally is still going.

The air is getting very thin. TSLA up 5% with Nasdaq flat because Rivian is going to use Tesla superchargers? I don’t buy it. It smells a lot like a rally driven by call buying and short covering. Not complaining, but it does not feel sustainable.

+60% in a month is ... unheard of for a mega-cap stock? I don't think even TSLA has done this for the past 10 years?

There is no doubt this is a hype- and options-driven rally. It will end. We just don't know when. As I mentioned several months ago, there's a lot of M2 money floating around - it needs to go somewhere. If this cash is concentrated on a hype stock like TSLA, the stock may even test ATH.

Feels very much like the Hertz rally to me, which was also fuelled by sentiment, FOMO, call buying, Gamma squeeze and resulting short squeeze

Of course that all came crashing-down when Elon started with his selling antics, but what's going to kill it this time?

I'm expecting a healthy P&D, but I think it will all come down to the margin on earnings, if it's lower than Q1 then I suspect we reverse, but I have no idea how it will come in. Have been more cars sold at a lower price in Q2, that's for sure, but I'm also pretty sure the cogs had dropped quite a bit too, plus Zach talked about a couple of one-time costs hitting Q1, so all up until the air for me

I know that SELLING calls, regardless of expiration date, is always short term capital gains. But if I want to buy 100 strike Calls for share replacements, does it matter if I buy Jan 2024 or 2025? Do I have to wait until expiration and get the shares, and then wait a year to sell them? How does that work?
If you buy calls you have to hold a year and a day before selling them to have ltcg tax rates. However whenever you decide to exercise it's a new purchase of shares and from the day you exercise you now have to hold the shares for a year and a day before ltcg tax rates apply. No tax event occurs if you exercise so you can exercise early without tax consequence

That's quite clever!
We will see! Can be the SP drops to $200 by end of year and it will all have been in vain... but if it does move and stay above $300 then every -c200 I can roll up to -c300 is +$10k, so worth the effort

Gets riskier as the SP rises though, ATM puts become less appealing... I suppose with the rolls from July to October I can close out 20x more, then likely to something similar October to December, so probably I'll need to deal with 75x calls, which would be 2-3x weekly if I'm to get them all up to $300 - even then they might be ITM, obviously, but I'll be $1.5m richer in profits if that happens -> not that I want to realise that much profit in a single year (on top of what I have already), I'd roll the majority out to next year, sell some of the LEAPS to throttle profits to the "usual amount"

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to early exercise calls or I would probably do that with some of the +c140's

Welp, my Jun 2025 300P are happy, my Dec 2025 330 calls on my entire portfolio to keep me afloat when we touched $106 are not.

Wonder how I am going to get myself out of this mess. All in all, if I have to exit at $330, I am fine with that, its certainly better than the $100 liquidation price from January...
sit tight. i know people are afraid what if it runs like 2020 and 2021. I also remember what happened in 2022. There's a buying frenzy in every room I'm in now and these people are not going to stick around once momentum reverses and it will at some point.