Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, what one day (actually half a day) can do to wipe out calls.

Below is updated tomorrow's expiration, $245 call stack now $235 put stack. Likely indicating a choppy day with a range-bound 230 area close, if that.
MM/Algos did good work getting back down, that's for sure.

1700188805097.png

11/24 maintained interest at $255 with only slight reduction in calls (from 12k to 8k) 👀

1700189094508.png

I’d go higher up, 255 on the upper long call…save you some kibble. Same with the lower strike long put…those are some close ranges.

I don’t like condors that are more than 2:1 LOSS to MAX PROFIT… aim for 1:1 or 1:2.
Great Advice. Was doing 1 week out and best I can muster was 3:1. Went 1 month out and was able to do 2:1 at strike $210p and $260c condor. The far out the play the better loss to profit ratio. The fear I had was SP may exceed $260 1 month out.

A quick reminder that tweets by Elon, unless they are about Tesla, are not to be discussed on this board because the discussions quickly become toxic. The subject certainly doesn't belong in the options thread. A dozen posts have been removed here and a multitude in the main thread.
Tough one because here we talk continually about the share price movements and what might be behind the moves, which then guides our trading decisions. So for sure the bulk of yesterday's drop was the general sell-off on EV stocks, but the dump at 13:05 from 236 down to 231 seemed to be initiated by the news of the APAC de-invite, which was as a result of something we can't mention

I for one want to know about that, it's a bit of a conundrum - would it be acceptable for someone to give a heads-up: "Watch out, Elon's lade some crazy Twitter posts" and leave it like that, without further discussion?

Last edited:
Tough one because here we talk continually about the share price movements and what might be behind the moves, which then guides our trading decisions. So for sure the bulk of yesterday's drop was the general sell-off on EV stocks, but the dump at 13:05 from 236 down to 231 seemed to be initiated by the news of the APAC de-invite, which was as a result of something we can't mention

I for one want to know about that, it's a bit of a conundrum - would it be acceptable for someone to give a heads-up: "Watch out, Elon's lade some crazy Twitter posts" and leave it like that, without further discussion?

I personally wouldn’t mind such a heads-up. But potentially stock moving tweets (not related to Tesla) are scarce. And I’m afraid it’s not realistic to expect no further discussion. Some people just can’t resist the urge.

for sure the bulk of yesterday's drop was the general sell-off on EV stocks, but the dump at 13:05 from 236 down to 231 seemed to be initiated by the news of the APAC de-invite, which was as a result of something we can't mention
Elon changing traveling plsns on eve of rocket launch can't be mentioned?
“We’re thankful for his offer to join the session remotely, however it was agreed among all speakers that participation would be in person. We look forward to Elon joining us at a future APEC CEO Summit,” the statement said.
The APAC change was reported around 2:00 eastern (stock rose a bit at that point)
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/elon-musk-apec-cancels-s-f-18496498.php

Well I unfollowed Musk on Twitter as his posts were becoming plain offensive, and it does make me nervous and another reason why I want to get out of my overpriced LEAPS if possible...

But TBH I think his Twitter persona has become a bit normalised, everyone knows he's nuts and other than the usual detractors nobody cares

As for the PM drop, I note that pretty much all the EV stocks are down: XPEV -5%, NIO -4%; LI -4%, etc., so more sector I would say, although most of the stocks on my broader watchlist are down too
I
I personally wouldn’t mind such a heads-up. But potentially stock moving tweets (not related to Tesla) are scarce. And I’m afraid it’s not realistic to expect no further discussion. Some people just can’t resist the urge.
any post predicting a shift in sentiment and stock price reversal to close long positions, sell ATM CCs or buy puts could be pertinent I guess. With hindsight bias, when Elon announced he would sell TSLA shares to acquire TWTR, I would have liquidated all my longs but it’s easier said now than last year. However if he posts on X something similar next year, I would think this information would be pertinent to roll back my far dated CCs to ATM short term. Any thing judged potential sentiment shift moving could be pertinent in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.png
    IMG_0630.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
any post predicting a shift in sentiment and stock price reversal to close long positions, sell ATM CCs or buy puts could be pertinent I guess.
To me the question is whether a CNBC headline going in to the trading day is worthy of posting here or not.

Because - guess what the headline news about Tesla is ...

Of course the big question always is - is the reaction complete or just starting. We can only predict that with the help of discussions i.e. crowd sourcing.

To me the question is whether a CNBC headline going in to the trading day is worthy of posting here or not.

Because - guess what the headline news about Tesla is ...

Of course the big question always is - is the reaction complete or just starting. We can only predict that with the help of discussions i.e. crowd sourcing.
So far every big Elon scandal has blown over. I don't think this one will be any different but at some point. 🤷‍♂️ QQQ is down as well so that could be most of it to be fair.

So far every big Elon scandal has blown over. I don't think this one will be any different but at some point. 🤷‍♂️ QQQ is down as well so that could be most of it to be fair.
Yes, but, for options, it's all about short term price movement and timing. I agree in the market forum it doesn't matter much ....

BTW, I disagree the stock sales have had no lasting impact.

Right now TSLA is trading 10x Nasdaq, not the usual 2x.

Reactions: Nocturnal
This is probably one of the first scandal that's not obvious to me. I read the tweet and was like..huh? So without MSM headlines telling me what to think I really didn't think it was a big deal.

Yes, but, for options, it's all about short term price movement and timing. I agree in the market forum it doesn't matter much ....

BTW, I disagree the stock sales have had no lasting impact.

Right now TSLA is trading 10x Nasdaq, not the usual 2x.
I was thinking of the political stuff. I do think the impact of those sales was not temporary. They caused a waterfall of selling and margin calls. That money moved from bulls to bears.