Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi spotted in the wild!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. those blocks are usually around 3 or 4k lbs. What do we think the truck weighs? I count 9 blocks, but maybe there are more? The trailer looks like it still has camber in it?
Not sure what the truck weighs, but according to CHP it was around 75k pounds
And the interesting part is they are just test blocks.
I would have assumed tesla would actually transport their own goods from Nevada to California rather than just haul around rest freight.

Edit: 75k gross

Last edited:
We saw the same truck in Kettleman City at the Supercharger. Chatted with the driver a bit. He answered several questions and had NDA responses for others. This was 25 April 2019.
IMG_5819.JPG

looks like they are just carrying around those concrete blocks everywhere.. That same load was reported going through the scales outside of Truckee
When I chatted with the driver, he said earlier prototype runs were made with an enclosed trailer. They were hauling a heavy load to test performance, but people saw an enclosed trailer and figured it could be empty, and so were having doubts about whether the truck was really powerful enough to do the job. So they switched to a flatbed with obviously heavy hunks of concrete. Doubt all gone!

Reactions: adiggs
Iced by a Tesla product!
This is just called, blocking the chargers for a completely justifiable reason.

When I chatted with the driver, he said earlier prototype runs were made with an enclosed trailer. They were hauling a heavy load to test performance, but people saw an enclosed trailer and figured it could be empty, and so were having doubts about whether the truck was really powerful enough to do the job. So they switched to a flatbed with obviously heavy hunks of concrete. Doubt all gone!
To someone that thinks Tesla might be hailing around empty trailers... those concrete blocks are decorated Styrofoam.

amazing how so many peeps are getting excited about an 18 wheeler!! however, i get it
really exciting to be a part of something that is game changing! And we know Tesla is for sure. That aside the damn cab looks gorgeous!
And to think that huge hunk drives on clean air "fuel" Shivers!! Now it will be interesting to see how many adopt the concept . Those that do IMHO are people that can see long term for their businesses & the future