Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senate version of the Tax Bill preserves EV Tax Credit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CA DMV also doesn't tax cars, they charge fees for registration.

You are simply stating the same rationalizations that expand every year.

Rather than debate each, I'll use your DMV fees as an example that applies to the rest.

Taxes are when the government collects money. You can call it a surcharge, fee, tariff, fund, contribution, etc, but it's still a tax.

Registering an automobile costs the state workers the same as a non-op + $1 for a sticker and a piece of paper. If you live in CA, you know not even a no-op is free anymore (used to be free). And the Green Sticky money is a fraud as well. They now charge you to ride at most off-road areas, then charge you every 2 years to own an ORV, then you pay road tax on the fuel. The red sticker money is even more comical. They charge you for off-road riding on gov't land, but you are restricted to private property. And pay road taxes. And transfer fees (~equal to sales tax).

There are similar situations for the other cases. What would be considered unconstitutional when I was kid, is now OK by rewording reality.

Reactions: Big Dog
You are simply stating the same rationalizations that expand every year.

Rather than debate each, I'll use your DMV fees as an example that applies to the rest.

Taxes are when the government collects money. You can call it a surcharge, fee, tariff, fund, contribution, etc, but it's still a tax.

Registering an automobile costs the state workers the same as a non-op + $1 for a sticker and a piece of paper. If you live in CA, you know not even a no-op is free anymore (used to be free). And the Green Sticky money is a fraud as well. They now charge you to ride at most off-road areas, then charge you every 2 years to own an ORV, then you pay road tax on the fuel. The red sticker money is even more comical. They charge you for off-road riding on gov't land, but you are restricted to private property. And pay road taxes. And transfer fees (~equal to sales tax).

There are similar situations for the other cases. What would be considered unconstitutional when I was kid, is now OK by rewording reality.
*sigh*

WHAT IS A TAX?

A tax is a charge against an individual or landowner, which pays for public services and facilities that provide general benefits. There need not be a direct relation between an individual taxpayer's relative benefit from services or facilities and the tax he or she pays.

WHAT IS A FEE OR CHARGE FOR SERVICE?

A fee is a voluntary charge imposed on an individual for a service or facility provided directly to that individual. State law requires that a fee cannot exceed the estimated reasonable cost of providing a service or facility, or else it is considered a special tax.

You only pay fees associated with voluntarily utilizing some service and/or facility. Taxes you have to pay regardless of whether or not you use the stuff the taxes pay for.

http://www.disclosuresource.com/downloads/calbudget.pdf

I you're curious about what the fees on DMV registration cover, start here.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr34

At this point I'm not sure how productive further discussion would be given your loose relationship with evidence based reasoning. :(

Last edited:
You only pay fees associated with voluntarily utilizing some service and/or facility. Taxes you have to pay regardless of whether or not you use the stuff the taxes pay for. ...

The red tax stamp I put on our KTM's to stop people from using them on public land would be a tax or a fee? It's called a fee, but it's to keep you from using facilities and services, not to allow it. So ... anti-fee? If a Red Sticker touches a Green Sticker (which allows you access to public land), does it yield a tremendous amount of energy and leaves a mushroom cloud?

Naw, they are taxes. Because since they now charge you to access the land with an ORV, the sticker is a property tax.

And no, it doesn't cost $250 to register a car. That's mostly property tax.

Last edited: