Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Catches Burglary of ANOTHER Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came back to my Model 3 last night, and saw broken glass and a smashed window on a car across the aisle. This is San Francisco where you can almost set your watch by smash and grabs, but I had sentry mode running and was curious. It recorded the guy looking into 3 cars (including mine) and breaking into unlucky #3.

Interesting note: He looked right into the side camera and was wearing a mask, which he removed when he went across the aisle. Looks like thieves ares staying up to speed with Tesla tech ... what a world.

(And yes, I told the police I have the footage, we'll see if they want it.)
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.15.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.29.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.29.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.29.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 6.30.04 PM.png

The guy with the mask looking into your vehicle doesn't look like the same one that across the street. Defiantly two of them. Guy across the street has a darker hoodie and light colored jeans. Guy with mask had dark pants and a light grey hoodie. Time stamps from pictures across the street also indicate same time your guy is looking into a Prius and the other guy is looking into the orange Kia which is the one I'm assuming got broke into. But it might indicate better knowledge of the system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and P85_DA
1) Good call about it being two different people. But from the clips, which are continuous, it’s the same car. They looked into 3 cars in as many minutes, including mine. Broke into 1.

2) Rear seats were not folded down.

3) I didn’t post it here but yes, I have a crystal clear shot of the license plate.

4) Car burglaries in SF are an epidemic.

It'll be a shame if the cops don't ask for your footage when you have clear shots of the plates!

And as someone already mentioned, these groups are oftentimes from other parts of the Bay Area coming into the city just for this. Glad yours wasn't hit.

On a side note, I saw another vehicle broken into the other day where they broke the small rear window first (I assume), pulled down the back seat, then broke the big window. It was a Nissan something so Tesla not the only ones with this problem.

I emailed the stills to the police (including license plate) and told them they were welcome to the footage. Got a “thanks, we’ll let you know” brush off in response. My understanding is that unless they are caught in the act, these guys never get convicted in SF so they won’t do anything. I may also offer the footage to target so their security folks can watch out for them. I had a break in maybe 8 years ago, and it was caught on a security camera. I gave the footage to the police and they were like, “Thanks. Call your insurance company.” It may be the perfect crime.

And I was worried about the door ding, too! But my car was unscathed.

I emailed the stills to the police (including license plate) and told them they were welcome to the footage. Got a “thanks, we’ll let you know” brush off in response. My understanding is that unless they are caught in the act, these guys never get convicted in SF so they won’t do anything. I may also offer the footage to target so their security folks can watch out for them. I had a break in maybe 8 years ago, and it was caught on a security camera. I gave the footage to the police and they were like, “Thanks. Call your insurance company.” It may be the perfect crime.

And I was worried about the door ding, too! But my car was unscathed.

Yup! Unless the thieves (or a hit and run driver for that matter) put someone in the hospital, they don't want to take time away from their donut eating.

My point was less that the police are lazy, mostly that the arrests won’t end in conviction to they’re spending a lot of time and resources for something that does nothing to stop the problem. Even if their PR team says they’re trying: SF neighborhood, police powerless against car break-ins

And since I started this thread, I’d like to leave debates about gun control out of it really not relevant to this forum, but I do want to balance that post with another point of view: “Guns stop crime” arguments inevitably devolve into macho fantasies about how a few anecdotes about how one person stopping a crime with gun means that arming everyone is a logical way to stop crime. But If you look at the statistics dispassionately, the evidence doesn’t hold up. Though there’s plenty of evidence that having guns around makes the people near them less safe in many other ways. These guys scoped three cars and robbed one in less than a minute, in broad daylight, at a peak moment of the day. In highly highly unlikely even if someone was armed they could have stopped them. And do you really want to trade fewer auto break-ins for flying bullets and thieves fleeing at high speeds at target? I don’t.

With that out of the way, let’s talk cars and save guns for more relevant corners of the web.

It'll be a shame if the cops don't ask for your footage when you have clear shots of the plates!.....

A month ago I stopped a cop that was driving around a lake area that is know for smash and grabs. He did not know that most Tesla's could record video. After showing him the different views he was impressed and said he would spread the word to other cops. Hopefully Tesla's go from being a target to known for protecting themselves and other vehicles.