Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Another American-First Feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're misinterpreting my words. Yes, break-ins happen everywhere. but it's a far bigger issue in california than canada. Think of it as a forest fire vs small fire. which one are you going to put out first? Remember when canada got priority of the winter update? same logic.
On top of that, this is SOFTWARE we're talking about. Always start slow rollout to get through all the bugs; followed by massive rollout.
Currently the rollout is paused due to bugs in SW.

As for the 'prolonged delay', you're mixing up sentry mode and NoA because NoA was country/region restricted. Very much like summon.

Not even sure why you mentioned t-bone because the front cam is enough to record the state of the intersection lights. But i'd like it medium rare please.
First off; I didn't intend for my tone to come across the way it did in my first message. Just typed it fast without thinking much. To me, the main question about sentry mode when this thread started is: would it be delayed in Canada due to some obscure law about privacy and recording in public spaces? Hence the comparison I made to NoA, and even to some degree how summon is less functional than the US version.

Maybe part of the reason why they pushed the update to a few cars is to demonstrate to people that the update is not restricted by any laws to Canada? Who knows, but to me it at least answers the question I was most concerned about.

My point is that because it is just software, as long as there is no legal reason to prevent rollout in Canada, then everyone should be getting it within a fairly short window. Should areas more prone to break in be prioritized? Sure. But they shouldn't prevent everyone in Canada from getting the update before its 100% rolled out in the US, which is what it sounded like you were trying to say.

Regarding the t-bone example; the front camera actually does quite a horrible job of capturing what is going on 'around' the car, vs the coverage when the side cameras are enabled, or even with a decent wide view dash camera. My dash cam died a month ago, and I've been holding off on buying a replacement since the built in dash cam + additional side cameras will end up with much better coverage than any after market camera...so I'm eagerly awaiting this update. I'm happy to wait an extra week or two if more of them are pushed to the US owners first, but I see no reason why it should take longer than that to roll out.

Anywho, that's what my thinking is. Having a different opinion is fine by me :cool:

I wonder if they are prioritizing to warm climates. They already have people complaining of reduced range in cold weather. They don't want a bunch of people complaining that the cameras/always on computer are sucking down power while parked. I know you specifically have to enable it, but why tempt fate when warmer weather and fewer range complaints are right around the corner.

I just updated to 2019.5.16 and my Model X Nav screen shows that I’m at Tesla HQ in California. My Tesla Mobile App says the same and shows my Nearby Superchargers in Palo Alto, CA. I tried a reboot, and still no changes. I have dog mode, auto folding on location, but no Sentry Mode. Anyone know why my car thinks I’m in California and also my screen doesn’t work when I have it in auto (Day/Night) mode. Stays in Day Mode now even thought it’s dark outside. Must be some bugs but I haven’t seen /heard of anyone else who updated have these issues.

Looks like the general fleet wide roll out is happening for 2019.5.15 for most Model 3's. If you want to update sooner, I suggest waking your car and connecting it to WIFI. It seems to put your car in the download queue faster.

I did that tonight and got it. Unlocked the car in the garage, left the app open and got the update in an hour. Sentry mode there as well but not in the release notes

Just finished downloading 2019.5.15 tonight and sentry mode is on my app. My first software upgrade for my 3 in over 6 weeks. My X hasn’t had any updates in the same period of time.

I already have 4 Blackvue cameras recording at all times, so this just adds a few more cameras and an extra anti-theft/break-in deterrent with sentry mode.

Attachments

• 251D0234-9E9D-474E-B812-4B534DB5E75E.jpeg
    251D0234-9E9D-474E-B812-4B534DB5E75E.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Beware 2019.5.15, I got my update Monday morning and drove to work and back without issue, but this morning I was met with
  • Car needs service (steering assist reduced)
  • Traction control disabled
  • Regenerative braking disabled
  • Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled
The car was undriveable, hopefully it's just a dodgy update that needs pushing again, reboots of the car didn't clear the errors.

Which version number is it? I got 2019.5.15 last night with Dog Mode and foldable mirrors by location but no Sentry Mode.

Sentry Mode appears in your smart phone's mobile app (version 3.8.2 in my case) in the "Settings" screen after updating the car's software to 2019.5.15 - move the slider setting to the blue selection on this screen to enable Sentry Mode. Thereafter, every time you lock your car, Hal's big animated red eye will appear on the car screen, along with the words "RECORDING" and "SENTRY MODE ACTIVATED".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Techniques
Sentry Mode appears in your smart phone's mobile app (version 3.8.2 in my case) in the "Settings" screen after updating the car's software to 2019.5.15 - move the slider setting to the blue selection on this screen to enable Sentry Mode. Thereafter, every time you lock your car, Hal's big animated red eye will appear on the car screen, along with the words "RECORDING" and "SENTRY MODE ACTIVATED".
So if Sentry is activated within the car it stays on only for that session, but enabling it through the app keeps it turned on by default?

Is there any word on the effects on the battery/range when this is enabled? Personally I still think the phantom drain on Teslas is much higher than it should be (based off of owning other EVs for years), so I hope this doesn't add too much more drain to that. I would prefer to just leave it on at all times rather than toggle it on and off since I'll probably forget to do it the one time I needed it. I can't imagine this taking a significant amount of power to run the cameras, but who knows, it could be more if its doing something like sending the footage to servers in the event the USB stick gets stolen in the break in (I believe this was something Tesla later confirmed happens?)

Also, for those with the update: does the dashcam now record from all 3 cameras? I thought that was one of the other things with this update.

So if Sentry is activated within the car it stays on only for that session, but enabling it through the app keeps it turned on by default?

It stays on until you go for a drive then it resets to off (you can arm it, open your door, walk away, and it still be armed). You'll need to re-enable it once you park via the screen or app.

Is there any word on the effects on the battery/range when this is enabled? Personally I still think the phantom drain on Teslas is much higher than it should be (based off of owning other EVs for years), so I hope this doesn't add too much more drain to that. I would prefer to just leave it on at all times rather than toggle it on and off since I'll probably forget to do it the one time I needed it. I can't imagine this taking a significant amount of power to run the cameras, but who knows, it could be more if its doing something like sending the footage to servers in the event the USB stick gets stolen in the break in (I believe this was something Tesla later confirmed happens?)

Also, for those with the update: does the dashcam now record from all 3 cameras? I thought that was one of the other things with this update.

I believe it was clocked at 2-3% every 8 hours or something like that. Basically, the same as if your car never went into sleep mode.

Yes the dashcam records from the same 3 cameras as Sentry mode. on 2019.5.4 there were reports that videos were being corrupted and not recording properly from the side cameras. Hopefully 2019.5.15 fixed a lot of these bugs.

Nice app feature! Just to be clear it’s under ‘CONTROLS’ on the setting screen.