Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode instructions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any ideas why Sentry Mode isn't enabled by default?

Remembering to turn it on from Controls or the App after parking everytime is just an extra step that is easily missed when in a rush!
Avoid having your USB media device running out of space too often. Reduce the number of extraneous videos you have to review due to some innocuous event triggering Sentry Mode even though your car is in a likely safe location.

Upcoming firmware release gives you the option to have it enabled by default; disabled at home, etc.

I'm still so confused. Can someone please tell me what the heck to order to record video with sentry please? Also does it overwrite old videos automatically? Thank you!

I only plan to take out usb if something happens to my car then look at videi

Edit trying the Samsung card with USB adapter and hope it works thanks!
There is a gizmo on Amazon called Lov Share. I've been using it for several weeks now. It's a one stop solution. It has a USB port on one end and mine has a lightning connector on the other. Plug it in to one of your front ports and the dash cam icon should show up after it gets recognized. It comes formatted in Fat32 so all you need to do is set up the TeslaCam folder. If you turn on Sentry mode you must use dashcam save, good to switch it off then too. Then you can pull it out and plug it directly into your phone. Voila! I think they also have one with a micro USB as well. About $32.00 for 128gb

Any ideas why Sentry Mode isn't enabled by default?

Remembering to turn it on from Controls or the App after parking everytime is just an extra step that is easily missed when in a rush!
There is a setting under Safety & Security where you can turn on Sentry mood. When it is on there is sub menu where you can customize it. You can also turn it on from the black ball icon to the left of dash cam.

I will try that. So I need to hit the dashcam button to get a green check and then turn off dashcam by holding it?
You should start with the dashcam off. Then turn it on and push and hold. Release and you should get a download icon. It will complete downloading and should turn the dashcam off. Should is the operative word. Some times mine doesn't and I have to do it again. Don't pull the thumb until it is off. There car should be Park also.

• Informative
Reactions: jbrady3324
Hi All,
I have a model S January 2017 - does anyone know if I actually have sentry mode? Or is the warning sign fake? Am I able to record? Thanks!

Sentry doesn't record anything.

Teslacam (the dashcam feature) does.

Sentry, if you have the dashcam feature running, will save the most recent 10 minutes of dashcam footage (essentially just moving those clips from the local recent folder to the saved folder on the local USB storage) when it goes into an alert state... but without dashcam running it'll still do everything else Sentry does (alert on nearby things, flash the lights, play loud music is alarm is triggered, etc).

Since dashcam is only available for Model S and Model X cars manufactured after August 2017, and all Model 3 cars- your January 2017 Model S doesn't have it.

For those that haven't looked at their Model 3 Manual, I thought I'd post the Dashcam page with some updated annotated information since some of the basics of TeslaCam don't seem to be understood by everyone.

View attachment 393675

I have occasionally noticed that after I've checked my drive on my computer and reinserted it into the USB connector, that the camera icon will show up with a red dot on it but not always. If you don't see the red recording dot or it goes out, tap the camera icon and it should appear if the drive can be written to. No red recording dot, not recording any footage.

Newbies should note that since I made this post updates to TeslaCam have now given us recordings from the rear camera as well. So you're getting full car coverage more or less. Also it will require more space on a flashdrive device so do not skimp on capacity.