Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode is so ridiculously bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My god, Sentry Mode is so bad.

It’s just constantly flashing the headlights when nothing is happening. No one is walking past, not even a cat. There are no bats flying around the car either. And still it gets triggered constantly. The first day I blamed the wind, the second day I blamed the rain, but the third day there hasn’t been wind or rain for hours now. What is it seeing?

When I’m lucky it’s recording and flashing its headlights 2-3 times an hour. But sometimes it’s 30 times an hour..!

It’s annoying the hell out of my neighbors. They’re hating the Tesla in the street now. A security system is not supposed to trigger anger, right..?

All the recording makes it completely useless as well. What am I supposed to do when I get in the car in the mornings, check 2 hours of video with nothing happening..?

And the most annoying thing is, it hasn’t recorded ANY of the doors of other parked cars
being slammed into the sides. So when people vandalize my car it’s not doing anything and when people are trying to relax it’s annoying them so much they have to come find me..?

What on earth is the use of Sentry Mode?

Sorry for ranting. At times when driving a Tesla it’s acting pretty dumb but when parked it’s simply mentally challenged…

Has it always been this terrible or should I book a warranty service appointment asap?

Good day,
K.

To stop this behavior so it won't respond to alarms when someone isn't even touching your car, go to Security, Sentry, and disable Camera-Based Detection.

Problem with this mode is it likely wouldn't capture someone keying your paint.

Reactions: Skavatar
To stop this behavior so it won't respond to alarms when someone isn't even touching your car, go to Security, Sentry, and disable Camera-Based Detection.

Problem with this mode is it likely wouldn't capture someone keying your paint.
That switch is only available on cars with USS - I think.

The newer cars only have camera based detection.

It still should be telling you where the events are in playback. Maybe that will give you a hint?

I doubt bother with sentry.

Turned it off when making this post, but here is an example:

23:52
23:51
23:50
23:49
23:48
23:47
And so on…. :p

And of course nothing’s happening, nothing is moving, it’s all completely unnecessary.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpeg
    IMG_1528.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 6
Is there any movement of light like car headlights going by, or a flashing status light on a battery charger, door opener, or other nearby device? If not, Tesla might need to look at what is going on.
Have you checked the cameras status in the service menu?

Reactions: Mōdel K
My god, Sentry Mode is so bad.

It’s just constantly flashing the headlights when nothing is happening. No one is walking past, not even a cat. There are no bats flying around the car either. And still it gets triggered constantly. The first day I blamed the wind, the second day I blamed the rain, but the third day there hasn’t been wind or rain for hours now. What is it seeing?

When I’m lucky it’s recording and flashing its headlights 2-3 times an hour. But sometimes it’s 30 times an hour..!

It’s annoying the hell out of my neighbors. They’re hating the Tesla in the street now. A security system is not supposed to trigger anger, right..?

All the recording makes it completely useless as well. What am I supposed to do when I get in the car in the mornings, check 2 hours of video with nothing happening..?

And the most annoying thing is, it hasn’t recorded ANY of the doors of other parked cars
being slammed into the sides. So when people vandalize my car it’s not doing anything and when people are trying to relax it’s annoying them so much they have to come find me..?

What on earth is the use of Sentry Mode?

Sorry for ranting. At times when driving a Tesla it’s acting pretty dumb but when parked it’s simply mentally challenged…

Has it always been this terrible or should I book a warranty service appointment asap?

Good day,
K.
Just curious, did you ever consider that it might be your car and not Sentry Mode as a whole?
I have yet to have a false alarm.

Turned it off when making this post, but here is an example:

23:52
23:50
23:49
23:48
23:47
And so on…. :p

And of course nothing’s happening, nothing is moving, it’s all completely unnecessary.
Sounds like a service appointment is needed, it's broke. My car has never shown such disdain towards me. Sentry is on with camera detection set.

Reactions: Mōdel K
Is there any movement of light like car headlights going by, or a flashing status light on a battery charger, door opener, or other nearby device? If not, Tesla might need to look at what is going on.
Have you checked the cameras status in the service menu?
No, seriously nothing at all. But thanks for your time. I guess it’s time for an appointment then.
And I’m not sure I can check camera status in the service menu. I can only recalibrate the cameras for AutoPilot, which I’ve already done.

Just curious, did you ever consider that it might be your car and not Sentry Mode as a whole?
I have yet to have a false alarm.
Yes, last question. But did assume it just sucks, haha. But thanks for your input. Service appointment it is!

Sounds like a service appointment is needed, it's broke. My car has never shown such disdain towards me. Sentry is on with camera detection set.
Thanks for your input!